1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Mini Calendar Tutorial

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by gimpeRaven, Feb 7, 2011.

1. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pixel Dimensions: 1220 x 780 Pixels Per Inch: 360 ppi Fonts: Akashi

In this tutorial, we'll try to recreate the image above. Please take note that actual prints may differ in color and details from the images we see on the screen depending on the printer, ink, photo paper, etc. that are involved in the process of printing.

This is just an attempt to make my own original yet simple calendar in Gimp and that I copied no design, just the texts, from other sources.

#1 Make a new file. Choose any measurement (inches or mm). Then enter 3.389 by 2.167 inches or 86.08 by 55.03 in mm. In the PPI fields under advanced options, enter 360. (You may choose any PPI value though following the tutorial will be hard. Higher is better for a more detailed output but Gimp may run slower.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You will notice that after entering the PPI, the pixels only got bigger. It is because the measurement is already defined so the pixels will be the only ones to change for proportionality.

#2 Make the BG black. Add some guides. Y axis [74, 110, 146, 182, 218, 254, 290, 326,] 342 and 616. X axis [67, 94, 119, 148, 283,] [328, 353, 382,] [562, 587 and 616].
    [​IMG]

#3 Create 3 rectangles w/ rounded corners in each separate layers by using the rectangle tool 'R' to make a selection. Press 'L' for the blend tool then drag the mouse diagonally or vertically to form a gradient. While the current selection is active, Select>Shrink enter 6 px then add another gradient opposite of the direction to your first one (ctrl + A to remove selection). After finishing the 3rd rectangle w/ shrink of 2, duplicate it 6 times and move (M) them accordingly to form a nice row.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tip: When using the move tool, just click first on the canvas then drag the mouse a little then hold ctrl. When you drag further now you'll feel it is in a straight direction. (Like moving layers through a guide w/ the snap to guides on.) Note: Ctrl+click then drag won't work.

#4 Font Selection: One of the most crucial part because most of the texts won't be editable anymore which is caused by merging. Choose something readable and cool to the eyes even when small. Akashi is thick and number 6 is not readable but I think it's way better than Neuropol which I used in this tutorial.

#5 Encoding of texts: We're now in the time-consuming part. Press 'T' then click on the canvas to use the text tool and type S, M, T, W, T, F and S separately. Place them inside the small rectangles. I picked white as color.
    [​IMG]

#6 Hide the BG then right click on a layer and choose merge all visible > merge. Duplicate it 2 times. Move the copies below the original. Merge the 3. (a) Duplicate once, arrange and merge. Finally repeat (a) one last time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tip: Don't accidentally include the bg when merging!
    [​IMG]

#7 Type the months, one in each text layer, and place them in the 2nd rectangle. You can add them in upper case to remove the tails of 'g', 'p' and 'y'.
    [​IMG]
    Tip: You can assign 'While space bar is pressed' as pan view for easy canvas navigation or viewing in Edit > Preferences > Image Windows.

The Trick: Now, with the help of the guides, enter the numbers 1 to 7 (you might reduce their font size to fit), (b) arrange them carefully from left to right in a straight line and merge. Move this layer to the left and the last number on the first slot. Next is 8 to 13 on the same line. Repeat (b), entering numbers and merging until you reach 31.
    [​IMG]
    Tip: You can Shift + Left Click to toggle the visibility of all layers or just view one. It also works with their links. A very useful shortcut when working with lots of layers.
    [​IMG]

#8 Add the last guides X: 599, 837, 1110 Y: 175, 202, 229 and 256.
    [​IMG]
    Tip: If you have a mouse w/ scrollers (scrollers? what the-), you can work w/o scrollbars. Just hold shift when scrolling with a mouse. Shift + mouse scroll down to move to the right and shift + mouse scroll up to move left.

#9 This time we'll duplicate the long line of numbers many times until we manage to complete months, one after another. Arrange the dates this way: Jan 1 (Sat) – 31 (Mon), Feb 1 (Tue) – 28 (M), Mar 1 (Tue) – 31 (Thur), Apr 1 (Fri) – 30 (Sat), May 1 (Sun) – 31 (Tue), Jun 1 (Wed) – 30 (thur), Jul 1 (Fri) – 31 (Sun), Aug 1 (Mon) – 31 (Wed), Sept 1 (Thur) – 30(Fri), Oct 1 (Sat) – 31 (Mon), Nov 1 (Tue) – 30 (Wed) and Dec 1 (Thur) – 31 (Sat). Easily said than done! ~noes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Merge the completed months and eliminate the excess numbers by selecting the needed dates only with the rectangle tool. Select > Invert (crtl + I) > delete (on keyboard).
    [​IMG]
    Note: Be wary that the numbers outside the canvas aren't gone yet. So when you make adjustments, they'll appear!

Repeat the duplicating of the long line on the same guides. Labeling the layers of the merged and completed month here is important. When finished in all of the months, position them to their boxes then link those 12 and move 9 px up and 2 px to left.
    [​IMG]
    Tip: Put the finished months to the lowest part (behind the bg) by shift + click on lower layer in the stack in the bottom part of the layers dialog (beside the duplicate icon) so that when you view all, they won't appear while you work on the other months.

#10 We're almost done. Add the last rectangle w/ rounded corners. Add some text like 2011 or something. Was it Year of the Rabbit? Don't forget to design your BG for the finishing touches.
    [​IMG]
    Last Tips: Go to Image > Print Size to edit the width, height and ppi of the image. When you change the w and h, the ppi adapts to them so there's no change in the pixels. When following or creating tutorials, never start without playing some of your favorite music and songs. You might get bored while reading afterall.^-^

Taaadaaahh~ Just enough I guess. I still like the first one! I don't know which anime the first render is from but as for the name.. don't ask. ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the author:
    It took me a day to finish this tutorial while making the screen shots and the calendar used in it. I guess it really depends on the familiarity a Gimper already has on how he or she can finish following a tutorial that will determine on how fast the outcome can be attained.
    Even though most tutorials are usually aimed at those who have basic knowledge of the Gimp User Interface (GUI?!), this happen to contain a lot of graphics that will, I hope, help beginners who're brave enough to try new things. (Maybe I just got inspired today. ~_^) They suggest a beginner section or some collection of tutorials that are easy and recommended to newbies but in my opinion, it is the initiative of spending time and giving some interest to the even most difficult or long tutorials that really shows or teach new useful techniques.
    I dedicate this tutorial to the forum members of Gimper.net. Its founder, admins, mods and staff are all friendly. If you want to ask questions, improve your Gimping skills or just show-off, I think it's a great place to start. They have resources and I, myself, still have things to learn and explore there because new things are endless.
    This tutorial won't exist if not of an idea to give something useful to my old classmate. Its been five years since we last met after graduation in elementary so I feel uneasy. Now that I have a chance to give her something like a calendar...
    February 7, 2011

I won't be online and reply back because we still don't have net at home (so I'm thankful to my generous cousin for letting me use his pc today!) but please post here or pm any question, problems or comments. Thanks to those who showed interest. :wilber:

There is a PDF for those who don't have internet at home! But how do they download it? That's their problem. ~sarcasm
    After clicking the url, please right click then chose save as to download. 8)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15187832/Gimper.net/Simple%20Mini%20Calendar%20Tutorial%20by%20gimpeRaven.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15187832/Gimper ... eRaven.pdf</a>​

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Awe-some :D

Detailed, cool result, high quality tutorial all in all :)
    Would sure look nice in a magazine .... ;D

3. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

4. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Very nice tutorial Raven! Super cool, and I see someone used Akashi in the first example.

5. Maffe811

Im still going :eek:

6. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the replies and yes, I made the first one with Akashi (I like it also) and that pink calendar is the one I plan to give. Did you guys read the dedication? ;D

I search the net and there was a script for calendar making, never thought something like that exists already. Might try it next time. :wilber:

7. Maffe811

Link to script?
    And if you wonder what GUI is, i belive its General User Interface... am i correct ?

8. virtualTune

virtualTune Active Member

Home Page:
    looks great except you should know what size and dpi you want BEFORE you start. doing it afterwards can create loss of quality... 8)

9. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Yeah saulgoode made a script to create a calender for the year - a calender for the month - and one you can print out and fold together like a dodecahedron. :)

[​IMG]

You can get more info here - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1003</a>
    And here - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=915</a>

have fun!

10. Maffe811

Dodeca... huh ? ;D an... 12...21...763 edged shape ?

11. mikethedj4

mikethedj4 Member

Web UI/UX Designer, Enginner, and Personal Trainer
    Home Page:
    I can't remember who made a calendar tutorial in Gimp, I've seen one before, but this one's the best so far :D and nice result too :)