General GIMP help

Some questions about animated *.GIFs and multi-layer actions

Everything related to GIMP. Place for beginners to ask questions.

Some questions about animated *.GIFs and multi-layer actions

Postby _Void_ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm

Hello everyone!
I have several questions regarding actions that have to be applied to all layers of an animated GIF at once. Neither the official tutorials nor google or the forum search really helped me, so I hope you can tell me how to do all of these things.
First, is there a way to link and delink all the layers at once without having to click on every one in order to (de)activate the chain-icon? Or any other method of moving all the layers at once? The animated GIFs I'm working with usually consist of ~100 frames/layers, so doing it manually would be a major pain - especially considering I have to do this for around 120 GIF-files of that size ~sick
Next, how do you replace all the transparency in all layers at once with white color? Feels like it should be really easy but I couldn't find anything... (And yes, they currently have a transparent background but I need it to be white)
My last question is something more basic - is there a function that allows me to center my edited GIF horizontally and vertically after I increase the canvas size and change the canvas proportions? (Is it called canvas in the English version? I'm using literal translations from the German version right here)
The last question is the least important one, and I didn't even google for it yet - so sorry if there is a really trivial solution, I actually only just though of it and decided to include it in this post.
Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
_Void_

Re: Some questions about animated *.GIFs and multi-layer actions

Postby gimpeRaven » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:52 am

Welcome _Void_ to Gimper.net! I've tried Gimp GAP and the manual animating in Gimp (by putting /100s or something after the layer name). A way to toggle all of the chain icons or locks? I only know that Shift+click on the eye icon of a layer will enable to view only one layer and hide the rest then Shift+click again to view all. I haven't tested it on the chain icon yet.. ??? I also don't know of a way to move all layers at once (If it's an animation of a curve or any motion). I think moving them one by one is the only way but I'm not that sure.

I also have hard time with transparent bg. Only in GAP there is a bg and an object in one layer to animate..
To center an image, cut the layer then paste and anchor it to be centered. Is that the trick? Hope that helps. :wilber:
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.
Gimp Users and Gimp Developer are good to try.

gimpeRaven

Postby _Void_ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Wow thanks, the shift+click does actually work, I can move all the layers at once now :D
Now I just have to figure out how to replace the transparent background efficiently =)

/E: Actually, nevermind! I found a way to work around the transparency-problem, so I no longer need any help! Thanks :D
_Void_

Postby gimpeRaven » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:58 am

well.. although I did helped.. Shift click to move layers at once? what or how to do that? O.o (now it's me asking lol)
As for the transparency, where did you found the solution? ;D
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.
Gimp Users and Gimp Developer are good to try.

gimpeRaven

Postby _Void_ » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Well, when all of the layers are linked (Shift-Click activate the chain-symbols) you can move all of them at the same time, that's basically what linking does =)
And the transparency-problem was not exactly "solved" but rather "worked around" - I don't longer need the background to be white ;P
_Void_

Return to General GIMP help