GIMP for Mac

GIMP 2.6 Anchor Layer is grayed out

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

GIMP 2.6 Anchor Layer is grayed out

Postby CurlySue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:46 am

Hi,

First, I want to say that I realize this is a MAC forum. However, I cannot find the PC forum and therefore am seeking direction regarding my problem(s) with Anchor Layer. If there is a PC forum, I would sincerely appreciate being redirected to it - and thank you for your support. Otherwise . . .

I am new to GIMP, but consider myself reasonably resourceful. 8)

I want to remove a watermark from a JPG photo. To do so, I first searched the online manual for watermark and drew a blank. 8O

Then I Googled and found http://laptoplogic.com/resources/how-to ... using-gimp

The above link seems straight forward regarding GIMP as found under "Second Attempt: Removing the Watermark"

However, the Anchor Layer option is grayed-out in my GIMP 2.6 release.

Next, I reviewed the online manual, section 7.2. New Layer, and section 7.5 Anchor layer.

I am running Windows XP SP2 with all available updates, and when I attempt to CUT and PASTE the JPG image into GIMP's blank slate, GIMP replies . . . "GIMP Message: There is no image data in the clipboard to paste"

The above message confuses me because when I open XP's ClipBook Viewer, and expand the Clipboard, I see the JPG image location - plain as day. Therefore, I can only conclude that GIMP is confused. ???

Since I cannot CUT and PASTE the JPG image from my Clipboard, I chose Open Image and loaded the JPG into GIMP. Unfortunately, the Anchor Layer option remains grayed-out. :(

If I cannot anchor the layer, I cannot proceed with the instructions provided by http://laptoplogic.com/resources/how-to ... using-gimp

Its seems reasonable to conclude that I am at FAULT somewhere and GIMP is responding accordingly. However, it also seems reasonable to conclude that GIMP is not working properly since it FAILS to recognize Clipboard contents in Windows XP SP2.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

CurlySue :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
CurlySue

Re: GIMP 2.6 Anchor Layer is grayed out

Postby David Wood » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:26 pm

you have to make a selection, THEN cut, and paste should work. :)
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Hmmm...

First, thank you for your reply, David. :)

Second, regarding... "you have to make a selection" ...could you be more precise? Select what, exactly?

For a GIMP beginner, your explanation is too vague. :question:

If you mean "select" the JPG, prior to posting I did - using GIMP commands File / Open to "Open Image" the JPG does appear in the main window - however, as I mention in my initial post, Anchor Layer is grayed-out.

Of course, this STILL does not answer WHY GIMP refuses to recognize my Clipboard??????????????? :(

Thank you.

CurlySue
CurlySue

Postby David Wood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:16 pm

In order to copy something in gimp to the clipboard you have to select it, to select the whole layer go to Select, All. Here is an explaination of making selections http://www.designyourownweb.com/gimp/se ... s-gimp.htm :)
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Hmm... our posts are heading in opposite directions, I believe, David. As a result, my overall objective is being overlooked in my opinion.

I have no interest to "copy something in GIMP to the clipboard..." I was wondering why GIMP did not recognize something that was ALREADY in my clipboard - something I wanted to copy to GIMP, not from GIMP. Perhaps the clipboard issue I mentioned was superfluous, but given GIMP's online manual, it seemed germane and that's why I included it in my post.

Regardless, I strongly believe the primary issue or problem is being overlooked or totally ignored.

Accordingly, allow me amend my initial comment "I am running Windows XP SP2 with all available updates, and when I attempt to CUT and PASTE the JPG image into GIMP's blank slate, GIMP replies . . . "GIMP Message: There is no image data in the clipboard to paste," by adding "Of course, this ERROR message does NOT impede my ability to click File | Open and specify the JPG file that I want to edit. Unfortunately, although the 'Open Image' contains the JPG, the option 'Anchor Layer' is grayed-out. I need to Anchor Layer before I can proceed with my objective to remove the watermark from the same JPG photo."

Neglecting the clipboard issue (completely), after adding the JPG to (not from) GIMP, why is "Anchor Layer" is grayed-out???

Thanks,

CurlySue
CurlySue

Postby David Wood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Okay, the steps on that blog are assuming you have a blank document open and an image saved to the clipboard, instead simply open the image you want, bring up the layers dialog, and right-click the layer and choose 'Add alpha channel'. Now go ahead with the other steps. :)
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Thank you for your persistence and patience, David.

Here's what I did:

1. clicked my GIMP 2.6.8 icon - which opened three separate windows - "Toolbox" and "GNU Image Manipulation Program" and "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..."
2. at the top of the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" window, I clicked File - which opened a pop-up window
3. in the pop-up window, I arrowed down and clicked Open - which opened the Open Image window
4. in the Open Image window, under the Places section, I selected the directory, and under the Name section, I selected and clicked on my JPG image - which loaded the JPG image into the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" window and also loaded a thumbnail of the same JPG image into the "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..." window (with the word 'Background' immediately to its right side
5. next, I right clicked on the JPG image thumbnail in the "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..." window - which opened a pop-up window, from which I arrowed down to and clicked "Add Alpha Channel"

From here, if I interpreted your instructions correctly, I am to "...go ahead with the other steps..." as defined in the website found at http://laptoplogic.com/resources/how-to-remove-watermarks-from-images-using-gimp

Now "...the other steps..." as defined under the section titled "Second Attempt: Removing the Watermark" include Step 2: Open the Layers window by pressing Ctrl+L, then right click on the Floating Selection and choose “Anchor Layer” and this is where my problem starts or exists. Given your instruction, after clicking on "Add Alpha Channel" the "Anchor Layer" option is or remains grayed-out.

Something must be missing from my GIMP 2.6.8 software, or I am a complete moron, David.

As a registered professional engineer, consulting engineering firm owner, and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, I submit that I am not a moron and that my PC operates at peak efficiency.

So . . . what am I missing?

Confused and remaining tenacious,

CurlySue

Postby David Wood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Ha ha, you're doing fine, the only purpose of that step was to merge the floating selection with the background, resulting in one layer. Since you don't have a floating selection and there is only one layer, step 2 is not necessary. ;D
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Oh! Well, as a complete novice when it comes to GIMP 2.6.8, I'm glad that I found this forum because I may have been STUCK at this point for hours if not days.

Looking on to Step 3, which I executed as Select > All, and then Image > Fit Canvas to Selection

Next, Step 4, where I would have executed Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel, but Add Alpha Channel was grayed-out. Therefore, I concluded that (given your instruction) I had already executed Add Alpha Channel and therefore should skip Step 3 and Step 4.

On to Step 5, I chose the Fuzzy Select Tool, a.k.a. Magic Wand

Step 6, when I select the background of the JPG image (as noted at the thumbnail in the "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..." window, then right click and arrow down to and clicking on Delete Layer, my JPG image disappears from both the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" and "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..." windows.

Step 7, assuming my JPG image, with Add Alpha Channel, represented the background - now erased - I "supposedly" should be able to see the watermark. Unfortunately, I cannot. I only see the GIMP checkerboard template.

I guess my "remove watermark" with GIMP 2.6.8 objective is not obtainable given the instructions associated with the website found at http://laptoplogic.com/resources/how-to ... using-gimp

Any other thoughts or recommendations of how I may remove watermarks from JPG images with GIMP 2.6.8, David?

Many thanks for your time, patience and education,

CurlySue
CurlySue

Postby David Wood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 pm

There's no mention of delete layer, in the steps, it says to select and then Edit, clear. NOT delete layer
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:57 am

David Wood wrote:There's no mention of delete layer, in the steps, it says to select and then Edit, clear. NOT delete layer

True, my bad. Specifically, it states: Step 6: Select the background of the image (in my example, it is the white part) and then either press the DELETE button or go to Edit > Clear.

Now, allow me to revise my previous statements as follows:

BEGIN REVISION

Step 6, when I select the background of the JPG image (as noted at the thumbnail in the "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..." window, then from the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" click Edit and arrow down to and click Clear (equal to Delete, but not Delete Layer) , my JPG image disappears from both the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" and "Layers, Channels, Paths, ..." windows.

END REVISION

Step 7, assuming my JPG image, with Add Alpha Channel, represented the background - now erased - I "supposedly" should be able to see the watermark. Unfortunately, I cannot. I only see the GIMP checkerboard template.

I guess my "remove watermark" with GIMP 2.6.8 objective is not obtainable given the instructions associated with the website found at http://laptoplogic.com/resources/how-to ... using-gimp

Any thoughts or recommendations (other than Edit > Clear (equal to Delete, but not Delete Layer) of how I may remove watermarks from JPG images with GIMP 2.6.8, David?

As always, thank you for your time, patience and education,

CurlySue
CurlySue

Postby David Wood » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:03 am

Sounds like the entire image is being selected. Would you mind posting the image you're trying to get the watermark off?
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 am

Sure!

Last edited by CurlySue on Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
CurlySue

Postby David Wood » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 am

So are you trying to get just the ticket?
David Wood
Administrator

Postby CurlySue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 am

Prior to receiving your reply, David, I chose to replace the ticket photo with the actual photo.

Looking to remove the "X" and the text.

CurlySue

Next

Return to GIMP for Mac