GIMP for Mac

Gimp for Painters Patch

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Gimp for Painters Patch

Postby themystician » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could add this patch to the next release:

http://sourceforge.jp/projects/gimp-painter/releases/

I think this was spoken about before and I don't know why gimp.org didn't add it by default with the application, or why don't you add it, it's a great project and I'd love to be able to use it in a near future.

Thanks.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
themystician

Re: Gimp for Painters Patch

Postby David Wood » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 pm

As I said, there are no developers on this site. You have to contact the developers through the site. :)
David Wood
Administrator

Postby themystician » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I think there's no need for a developer on this :question: .

The only think I ask for is patching the sources before building, and I think that is just a command line + the patch from the url.

If I remember well, the process was something like downloading the .diff file and then something like "patch <patch_name.diff", and then building the app as usual.

I'm not a programmer, and I don't know the process of building gimp.app at all. I did build gimp with the patch one time, long ago ... and it didn't work quite well ???. Still, the process seems to be quite easy (for the people who usually do the building, I guess), so I was wondering if anybody here could take a look and add the patch to the next build.
themystician

Postby lisanet » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:06 pm

hhmm, just thingking about what I should answer ...

Here some loose thoughts...

themystician wrote:I think there's no need for a developer on this :question: .

Aah, alright. Then it's not up to me. I am a developer.

themystician wrote:The only think I ask for is patching the sources before building, and I think that is just a command line + the patch from the url.

Oops, I see, you mean that doing such an easy task, like patching source codes and compiling programs, is not worth talking about. Just one line on the command prompt. Something like that doesn't need somebody who has some sort of intellectual skills...

themystician wrote:If I remember well, the process was something like downloading the .diff file and then something like "patch <patch_name.diff", and then building the app as usual.

yep, you're right. It's more than just on line. You need to download the diff.
AND, you don't remember well, "patch < patch_name.diff" is _not_ the correct command line. There's more to do.

What do you think about those tasks like...

* placing the patch in the correct location of the GimpPorts tree and updating SVN and the corresponding Portfile
* testing if the patched version runs well
* integrating it into Mac OS X so that it doesn't use dotted files and directories
* giving support to users, answering questions
* managing updates of GIMP work together with the patch
* building, testing, integrating, supporting, managing it on three different platforms

themystician wrote:I'm not a programmer,

then, why don't _you_ do this one command line... ?

themystician wrote: and I don't know the process of building gimp.app at all. I did build gimp with the patch one time, long ago ... and it didn't work quite well ???. Still, the process seems to be quite easy (for the people who usually do the building, I guess), so I was wondering if anybody here could take a look and add the patch to the next build.

... that's the point. You've discovered, that there's a bit more to do than just one line of code.

Trust me, patching is really easy. But it's more than just patching, what makes the build process time consuming and sometimes very hard to manage.

If you get an error, either in the patch phase or during the compile step or after testing the newly build binary, these things really can take a long time to do. And the longer the patch is, the harder it may be to manage all those things.

It would be easy, if there were several people working on the project "GIMP on OS X". But, sadly, it isn't. Currently I'm the only one working as a developer and there's only one other person (~suv, thank you so much for your bug reports and all your hints and tipps) helping to improve GIMP on OS X.

This patch is about 7686 lines of code. That's really huge for a patch. IMO this patch is not a simple patch against GIMP to fix some issues or adding a plugin. It's more like a new program, it's GimpPainter not GIMP. This is far beyond the scope of the GIMP on OS X project. GIMP on OS X offers pre-compiled versions of GIMP, not an application called "GimpPainter".

What you're asking about is, so it seems to me, that because you want to use an application to paint with, that somebody has to do the work for you and build it for you. Maybe the GimpPainter-patch is suitable to evolve GIMP further to a new kind of painting application, but this should be done by the upstream developers on gimp.org. This is not a task of the GIMP on OS X project.

And once again, sorry, I don't want to offend you, but IMO you don't know what you're talking about. There's really more to do than just some simple clicks with the mouse buttons to make the GIMP on OS X bundles work smoothly. And I'm not willing to do the work for others, who don't know anything about those tasks.

I spend a lot of my spare time working for this project, keeping it up and running. I don't earn any money doing so. Three years ago, when I switch from Linux to OS X, I wanted to use GIMP because I really like to shot photos and I was used to GIMP. Sadly, GIMP on the Mac platform was somehow out of date. And because I'm one of those dinosaurs that's faczinated by the ideals of free software (you know, 'free' as in 'freedom', not 'free beer') I wanted to give something back to the community, to the community from whom I've taken so many applications and programs. So I started to work on GIMP to run on Mac OS X.

What do I want to point out? If you find some open source application useful, then, well, use it. If you think, this application could be enhanced, could be made far more better, try to contribute something to this application. Write a user manual, help managing a web site, give support to other users, try to learn something about coding, patching and developing software. Give something back to the community. But please, don't ask others to do all the work for you and telling them, that their work is so easy, that you're wondering why nobody immediatly does it for you...

... just some loose thoughts.

-skl
Enjoy GIMP on your Mac ...

... GIMP on OS X - http://gimp.lisanet.de
lisanet

Return to GIMP for Mac