Help with the forum and suggestions

member of the month?

A place for advice on basic and advanced features of the forum. Do you have a suggestion that would make the forum better? Post it here.

Re: member of the month?

Postby B☠N3S » Mon May 04, 2009 10:09 pm

I think I suggested this but im not sure anyway Yes it would be cool we could use some special vector-ish trophy saying the members name and the month the member is member of the month.

BTW For those who think that we dont have enought people. WE ONLY NEED 12 MEMBERS
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
B☠N3S

Postby GimpKnowHow » Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 pm

I think it's a great idea! Especially the signature. Though, i don't think it should be the amount of thanks received, the community should vote on it. (I hate to say it, but some people may spam new accounts to thank themselves :'( )
Image < Recent (Collab with Lewiz on GForce)
Image< Fav
GimpKnowHow

Postby Illyz » Thu May 07, 2009 1:23 am

Nice suggestion, GimpKnowHow, however, any option, whether it be vote or by thanks, people can spam accounts to vote or thank themselves. So if this idea were to be implemented, there might need to be rules, like, MOTM has to at least be a junior member and anyone caught spamming accounts would be forever disqualified from MOTM, etc.

My only thing with voting, is that it would be a popularity vote. I think that thanks is a good idea, because then it promotes members to be more actively helping one another, rather than trying to be as well known as possible to have votes.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Illyz

Postby AcornComicsInc » Thu May 07, 2009 10:38 am

I like the idea. Perhaps instead of the most thanks received, it would be the highest average of a person's given AND received thanks. It's just as good to thank people, if not more important than being thanked.
AcornComicsInc

Postby lastonestanding » Fri May 08, 2009 4:02 pm

then people would span and thank every post
personally i think that gkh's idea is he best
lastonestanding

Postby AcornComicsInc » Fri May 08, 2009 7:11 pm

lastonestanding wrote:then people would span and thank every post
personally i think that gkh's idea is he best

People can just as easily make a new account and spam thank their main account's posts. Yeah though,I like the idea of voting on a person. A few people could be nominated and then voted on.
AcornComicsInc

Postby Danation » Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 pm

I know I'm the guy who got the "thanks" button rolling, but my opinion is that is should be a vote.

I'm not here real often, but I notice on other forums, when a senior member helps a "n00b" they often don't get thanked. And when somebody cracks a funny joke, they get 8 thanks. Which doesn't really bother me, but it shows me that thanks count is only a helpful indicator and a nice pat on the back, not empirical evidence that a member deserves an award.

Though the "popularity contest" argument has merit as well. You can have a bunch of friends vote for you, even if you haven't done anything of importance.

Any way to incorporate both?
Danation

Postby Stanley » Mon May 11, 2009 7:20 am

Or maybe the admin/mod's could vote for the best member, I think they should be able to be neutral... :P
Stanley

Previous

Return to Help with the forum and suggestions