GIMP for Mac

Python-fu

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Python-fu

Postby macfolk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:20 am

I have searched the forum about python scripts and found that I place the .py file in ~/library/applicationsupport/gimp/plugins. I downloaded a plugin from the plugin registry at gimp.org and placed it in the correct folder. I am not finding the plugin anywhere. In text edit at the end of the script, I believe the script is suppose to show up in "<image>/Python-Fu/Render/HDR tone mapping" Am I right in assuming that their should be a pull down menu called Python-Fu in the menu bar of the image window with a sub-menu of Render and a further option of HDR tone mapping? Well, there is no Python-Fu menu. I tried editing the line to read "<image>/Filters/Artistic/HDR tone mapping" but it did not appear there either. I looked for it in the Xtns/plug-ins manager with no success. Do I need to do anything with the .py file beside place it in the correct folder? Can I use python scripts? I have a Script-Fu menu, why don't I have a Python-Fu menu? Is there something I need to do in the Python-Fu console? Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
macfolk

Re: Python-fu

Postby Auria » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:00 pm

What you did should work. You could try to run GIMP from terminal (see how-to in sticky post) and see if you get any error message. Especially if it's an old script that wasn't updated for GIMP 2.4, it's possible it no more works with recent versions
Auria
Retired Staff

Postby macfolk » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:51 am

I ran Gimp through the terminal. I received no error messages. It loaded fine, but I still don't have any indication the the script is loaded in. Should I try placing it in the actual app contents with the other plugins that are currently loading. I did double check my preferences and both the tmp/skl/... and [user]/library/applic... are being used for the plugins and scripts. Self added .scm scripts are showing up fine. I am really perplexed by this one. Thanks for you help so far.
macfolk

Postby Auria » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 pm

I am too. Perhaps try other python scripts - just to make sure whether it's python in general or only this specific script. These scripts can also add themselves everywhere they want or so, so maybe it's just working but you don't know know where it appeared ( happened to me once :) )
Auria
Retired Staff

Postby lisanet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:39 am

What Gimp version do you run? Leopard? Intel?

AFAICS the actual Gimp 2.4.7 Leopard/Intel has no python support compiled in. If you need python you could use the Gimp package I provide on my site until it is fixed here on wilber-loves-apple.

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download ... eopard.dmg

HTH
Enjoy GIMP on your Mac ...

... GIMP on OS X - http://gimp.lisanet.de
lisanet

Return to GIMP for Mac