General Discussion

tablet function issue, help please

For general talk about topics that are important to you. Use this forum if your post doesn't fit anywhere else.

tablet function issue, help please

Postby leopardess_moon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 pm

I am haveing an issue with my "cheap" tablet working with Gimp. it is a Genius tablet and it works ok with everthing but Gimp. The problem I am haveing is that it will not work with the paint tools on the screen. the pressuer tip does not even register at all and when I click the "left click button on the pen, it acts like a "right click" action and when I press the right click button on the pen it makes a move arrow and drags the navigation window around!? I have searched the forum and found a few simular issues and tried the tips given and none of them worked for my issue. does anyone have any idea how to get the tablet set up properly for Gimp?
thanks
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Leopardess Moon
Sometimes Spotted, Sometimes Shadowed
leopardess_moon

Re: tablet function issue, help please

Postby leopardess_moon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:28 pm

tomyman2112 wrote:spam

dude! did you just spam in my help wanted topic?!? how rude!
Leopardess Moon
leopardess_moon

Postby Arzoroc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Spambots, nothing you can do against that. But by copying their spam links (quoting) you don't make things better ;)

To your problem:
Gimp and tablets.. sigh, I don't think Gimp will ever by working a 100% with tablets. I've had problems with my wacom, and almost everybody has problems with every other tablet. The only things I can recommend you (but I don't know whether it will effect anything) is reinstalling Gimp from scratch (wiping every Gimp file off your PC, then redownloading the installer from gimp.org and reinstalling), reinstalling your tablet drivers, and also checking your Gimp options for the external hardware tab. If this doesn't give you a result, I can't help you :/
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby leopardess_moon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 am

Thank you very much. I think I am just going to have to upgrade to a different tablet. I am looking into getting a wacom Bamboo since I know they at least function with Gimp. I hope that the people who do such an awesome job developing GIMP will continue to bring Tablet functions into the program.
This question is resolved, thanks
Leopardess Moon
leopardess_moon

Postby Cyrilshark » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:18 am

To quote myself:

Cyrilshark wrote:Unfortunately, Gimp 2.8 relies on a newer GTK+2 which doesn't fully support drawing tablets (so they will work, but without pen pressure). Your only options at this point are to either downgrade to 2.6 again (which I would recommend if you heavily rely on your pen pressure) or wait until Gimp 3.0 is released which will rely on GTK+3 which has full drawing tablet support. Sorry for the bad news!

Cheers.

Buying a new tablet is not going to fix the problem.

PS: Just bought myself a new Bamboo connect, I do recommend it. Wacom does the thing right!
"Do not abandon yourselves to despair. We are the Easter people and hallelujah is our song."
Cyrilshark
Administrator

Postby Maffe811 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Borrowing a Intuos 5 L and i love it!
Cyrilshark wrote:Wacom does the thing right!

+1
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby edda0199 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:51 am

The only things I can recommend you (but I don't know whether it will effect anything) is reinstalling Gimp from scratch (wiping every Gimp file off your PC, then redownloading the installer from gimp.org and reinstalling), reinstalling your tablet drivers, and also checking your Gimp options for the external hardware tab. If this doesn't give you a result, I can't help you :/

YOU ARE RIGHT!!
Yes, you can only do this, or you must ask help with genius of computer!! 8)

;D mmohunter
edda0199

Return to General Discussion