Large Art

Kakashi wallpaper

For larger pieces.

Kakashi wallpaper

Postby gimpeRaven » Thu May 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Story: Ever since I learned my classmate's birthday is on May 1, I kind of not forgetting it anymore. I thus decided to make an image then send it through email (one for attachment and the tricky one is that which I can preview within the mail message right away). I scanned the net and found some renders of Kakashi that I liked but I gave up immediately and did something else. However, I got time at night and rushed it. Honestly, I didn't put much thought in it but I'm amazed that I was able to complete and be satisfied at it. ^-^
Things I learned: Good detailed renders that are big lose their quality when transformed to smaller size so what I did is enlarge a 640 by 480 pic I shot to a wallpaper size (wherein the render fits). It is recognizable enough as a bg plus its blurry attribute helps emphasize the render. I also recycled the planet from my old XCF work and played with layer modes. I found out that white color and difference mode works like color invert. I added a red glow on his eye just for cool looks. I also darkened the bg... It looks like night time right? :wilber:

Seeing that the Gimp 2.8 stable version is available now in the Gimp.org site makes me feel excited. I will be looking forward to new tutorials from fellow Gimpers. After a long wait, the time has come comrades. Great work developers, contributors, translators, sponsors and moral supporters! ~up ;D ~up
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.
Gimp Users and Gimp Developer are good to try.

gimpeRaven

Re: Kakashi wallpaper

Postby virtualTune » Thu May 10, 2012 6:38 pm

wow the red moon looks stunning! The text is also nice tho i feel like it is overall a bit pensive and looks a bit like he the writing on a gravestone :)

I feel like you should have made the left side simply black and white. Right now there are too many colours that dont go well with the yellow/red scheme. Also, I'd make a selection around the grass (right side) and change the curves/levels settigs so they are not so bright and don't popp as much.
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Postby gimpeRaven » Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 am

virtualTune wrote:wow the red moon looks stunning! The text is also nice tho i feel like it is overall a bit pensive and looks a bit like he the writing on a gravestone :)

I feel like you should have made the left side simply black and white. Right now there are too many colours that dont go well with the yellow/red scheme. Also, I'd make a selection around the grass (right side) and change the curves/levels settigs so they are not so bright and don't popp as much.

Now that you mentioned it, the text surely seems like that of graves... ~noes I also just experimented with color curves for the bg and so intentionally made the right side look strong and sharp but yeah it's so bright for the eyes. The left side is colored while the right side is inverted and reddish but the dark left was left out and the right stand out than the other. ^-^
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.

gimpeRaven

Postby RomaGrafix » Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm

I really like the night&day idea, reminds me of sth I once did :D
I think the transition is too rapid though, especially that little blue-ish line and the background is terribly LQ, I' d atleast blur it strongly.
Actually I really like the way you did the text but yeah, lower the saturation there:)
RomaGrafix

Postby gimpeRaven » Sat May 12, 2012 10:44 am

RomaGrafix wrote:I really like the night&day idea, reminds me of sth I once did :DI think the transition is too rapid though, especially that little blue-ish line and the background is terribly LQ, I' d atleast blur it strongly.Actually I really like the way you did the text but yeah, lower the saturation there:)

The left is supposed to be night but with the more dark right it can be seen as daytime. If the lq bg is blurred, some parts of the wallpaper won't be detailed except for the emphasized subjects.

gimpeRaven

Postby virtualTune » Sat May 12, 2012 6:37 pm

to get a night effect give it a gradient mapp in blue and purple
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Return to Large Art