General GIMP help

Color change in the GIMP window

Everything related to GIMP. Place for beginners to ask questions.

Color change in the GIMP window

Postby nec00005 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 pm

I have been having problems with images that I save appearing to be more saturated and have more contrast than the edit looks in the GIMP window. I tried playing around to figure out what it might be and found that when I open an image in GIMP, the image displayed in the program is less saturated and less contrasty than the original image without any changes made. When I save the unedited image, the new image looks like the old image, both more saturated and contrasty than the image displayed in the GIMP window. Because of the color change in the GIMP window, all of my edits are pointless because it is not showing me the correct outcome. My images are originally JPG format and I save/export in JPG format. Any idea of how to fix this? Attached is a screencap. The original image/what the unedited saved image looks like is in the preview window on the right. The image on the left is the unedited image opened in the GIMP window.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
nec00005

Re: Color change in the GIMP window

Postby Arzoroc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 am

There is no screencap attached to your post, so you probably made a mistake there ;)

Back to your problem. I never heard of this before. Are you working on a clean and fresh install of Gimp? If you don't, try the usual advice we give here:
I wrote:The 2 most common solutions to such problems: Re-installing with a fresh installer from http://www.gimp.org OR Rod's favourite method: Deleting the gimp-2.6 folder at C:\Documents and Settings\YourName on Windows XP or C:\User\YourName\ on Windows 7 (Don't forget the backup if you have any fonts/brushes/patterns you don't want to lose!), then re-launching Gimp.

Tell us if there's any difference. If there isn't, maybe Rod can help you with some tech-y stuff.

Good luck
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby nec00005 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:30 am

Ok I cannot figure out how to upload the screencap file. Maybe it's just in the wrong format. Anyways, thanks for your suggestions. I will try your suggestions. I should mention I am using OS X.
nec00005

Postby nec00005 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:43 am

Here is a link to a post in another forum with an example of what I am talking about: http://gimpforums.com/thread-color-chan ... imp-window
nec00005

Postby Maffe811 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm

nec00005 wrote:I should mention I am using OS X.

Yep, that helps.

If the problem happens when you save, check your save settings.
It should be mentioned that only a few of us use a Mac.

Is this problem recently happening or has it been this way all along.

Also, just try to google arround while you wait for an answear.
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby David Wood » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 pm

As Ofnuts said on gimpforums, it's probably a color profile issue. Check under the preference menu's color management tab.
David Wood
Administrator

Postby nec00005 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:35 pm

I have tried changing the color profiles with no luck. I have tried changing the saving settings with no luck. And I have tried changing my computer display settings with no luck. I have tried googling with no luck! Lol I do not know when the problem started. I want to say when I updated versions a few months ago but i've only really noticed it now because I have been too busy to edit things. Anyone know of where to get an older version of GIMP so I can try this theory out? I have tried viewing the image on my iPhone and my PC (not in GIMP) and it looks like my computer's preview/opened. I opened the picture in GIMP on my PC and the colors match the preview/opened image. The only thing displaying the wrong colors is when the image is opened in GIMP on my Mac. I changed every setting on my Mac GIMP to match the settings on my PC GIMP and it still did not fix the problem. Any ideas?
nec00005

Postby Maffe811 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 pm

nec00005 wrote:The only thing displaying the wrong colors is when the image is opened in GIMP on my Mac.

So it comes when you open the image too ?

nec00005 wrote:Any ideas?

Yes, i got one, is it multiple file types or only one?
Im thinking some corrupt file.
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby nec00005 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 am

The file type is JPG and it happens with every image, including images taken with different cameras.
nec00005

Postby David Wood » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 pm

You could try desaturating the image by 20 or 30 percent and then saving, it's a workaround but should do the trick.
David Wood
Administrator

Postby nec00005 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Yeah I have been doing that and adjusting to make it more blue/green/cyan and it's working but it's a hassle to get it the right color. Thanks.
nec00005

Postby Maffe811 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:03 pm

I would suggest reinstalling the jpg plugin thing if its only jpg
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
---
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:13 am

Recalibrate your monitor to correct colors.If you have been mucking with it.
Start Gimp.Gimp should have your colors set MANUALLY to 72-98 dpi.
Edit>Pref>Display - make sure auto is checked.Restart Gimp and see if that helps.
Anything you see off of Gimps display like say in your image viewer, should be the same dpi as in Gimps display window.
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby nec00005 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I deleted GIMP and the entire Application Support>Gimp folder and reinstalled it all. It's still doing the same thing. If I remember correctly, it also happened with the .xcf files but my camera's default setting is jpg so I don't know if that might have something to do with it. Thank you everyone for trying to help.
nec00005

Postby Maffe811 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Make sure you did delete ALL gimp files, everything, even the hidden ones! :P
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
---
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Next

Return to General GIMP help