General Discussion

How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

For general talk about topics that are important to you. Use this forum if your post doesn't fit anywhere else.

How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Friar Broccoli » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi;

I absolutely hate having to start Gimp with the "Paintbrush Tool" as default. I would like to change it to the "Rectangle Selection Tool". I am pretty sure I've tried everything obvious, so I presume a file hack is required. Could someone tell me which file needs to be hacked, and give me some idea what I need to change? (If I need to change a binary file, that's not a problem for me - just give me the offset and the from/to characters.)

I am using GIMP 2.6.11.

Thanks
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Friar Broccoli
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Arzoroc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:47 pm

What about just pressing the shortcut for the rectangle select tool everytime Gimp starts?
If you're into programming you sure can make yourself a small file that starts Gimp and presses the shortcut key for you as soon as the UI is loaded...
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
User avatar
Arzoroc
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Maffe811 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:55 pm

ROOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got möp?
Image
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
User avatar
Maffe811
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Norway/Norge/Norwegen

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Friar Broccoli » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Arzoroc wrote:What about just pressing the shortcut for the rectangle select tool everytime Gimp starts?


I have a bad memory/reflexes and keep forgetting and invariable wind up drawing all over whatever I'm editing.

Arzoroc wrote:If you're into programming you sure can make yourself a small file that starts Gimp and presses the shortcut key for you as soon as the UI is loaded...


Not elegant, and in my case it would take about the same amount of time to identify the offending configuration file and hack it unaided. But I don't want to do that, I want to spend my time learning gimp.
Friar Broccoli
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Maffe811 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 pm

As i said:
Maffe811 wrote:ROOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got möp?
Image
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
User avatar
Maffe811
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Norway/Norge/Norwegen

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Friar Broccoli » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Maffe811 wrote:As i said:
Maffe811 wrote:ROOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I have no idea what (if anything) this is intended to mean.
Friar Broccoli
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Maffe811 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:57 am

Its a person! :P
Rod!
He is more code-y person than us.
Got möp?
Image
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
User avatar
Maffe811
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Norway/Norge/Norwegen

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby rich2005 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 am

Try

1. Choose the rectangular select tool so it is active.
2. Go into the edit -> preferences -> tool options menu
3. Untick the 'save tool options on exit' (if ticked)
4. click on the 'save tool options now' button

this should fix the tools for the next time you start Gimp.
rich2005
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Friar Broccoli » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm

rich2005 wrote:Try

1. Choose the rectangular select tool so it is active.
2. Go into the edit -> preferences -> tool options menu
3. Untick the 'save tool options on exit' (if ticked)
4. click on the 'save tool options now' button

this should fix the tools for the next time you start Gimp.


Thanks. Mucking with that menu worked.

I had previously tried that, but I guess I didn't try hard enough.
Friar Broccoli
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Rod » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Looks like you got it fixed. :)
Sorry i took so long to get here.

Thanks for the heads up Maffe.
Image
User avatar
Rod
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: How to change Toolbox default away from Paintbrush?

Postby Maffe811 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Rod wrote:Thanks for the heads up Maffe.

No problem, im here to help! :D
Got möp?
Image
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
User avatar
Maffe811
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:00 pm
Location: Norway/Norge/Norwegen


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests