Requests

Business Card Layout

Renders, xcf's, etc.

Re: Business Card Layout

Postby Maffe811 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:17 pm

if i got it right:

1. go to the lower left corners and select inches
2. ehh... did that help? if not, can any one tell so one stupid norweigan guy could understand!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 pm

nicely done!
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby Maffe811 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:46 pm

thank you :)
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:57 am

That droplets are very nice. Two thumbs up for the one who made it.

Probably brushes. :)
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:59 am

Here you go i created a waterdrop brush.It is grayscale just grab two watery colors and go alpha to selection then go to Filters/Map/Gradient map and there you go. :)

WaterDrop_RD5.zip

Just unzip it to your brushes folder.

Example

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby Maffe811 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:28 am

A random google image :P
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
---
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 am

Hey you guys i discovered that if you follow these steps you get some pretty cool and realistic waterdrop effects.
Example
Spoiler: show

1) use my brush to create a grayscale drop on a transparent layer name it drop.
2) Right click alpha to select the drop - create a new layer named shadow - select the shadow layer and fill with black.
3) select > shrink by 2-3 pixels - edit > clear - select none
4) set the opacity for the shadow and drop to your liking
5) merge both layers (drop and shadow)
6) Filters > Distorts > Iwarp
7) distort the drop to have a more realistic shape.(use move)
8 ) Now create a new layer name it pattern
9) with the freehand select tool select an area inside the drop - select the pattern layer
10) Filters > distort > lens distort - all set to zero except zoom ( set zoom to your liking)
11) save the image
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby virtualTune » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:55 pm

you need a harder highlight :) rest is decent
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Postby kurtamurta » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 am

I found another one tutorial with step-by-step instructions how to create a simple geeky business card with GIMP on
kurtamurta

Postby Maffe811 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Some text in two different colors written to look like html on a white square ... ?

Thats a bit too easy...
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
---
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Arzoroc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:20 pm

I actually like the idea of having an HTML text layout. Show it to your nerdfriends and you're da king!
Inactive.
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby Kajida » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 am

I'm doing my business cards with Inkscape. Then once I have them set up and colored, typed, and such, the way I want it, i'll go back with gimp to finish them off.

I've been playing around with this TuT to set up my cards. It even comes with a pdf template for the alignment of the cards on 1 sheet for when you print them.

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/busines ... peorg.html

Just another way of doing something. ;D
Kajida

Postby Maffe811 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 pm

When i click the link, chrome tells me i can't connect to the internets...

Arzoroc wrote:I actually like the idea of having an HTML text layout. Show it to your nerdfriends and you're da king!

1. Ill agree its cool, but there isnt really any work put into it!
2. This is cooler:

3. Its kinda isnt in the same league as my card....
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
---
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Nikkitytom » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am

The problem many Gimpers have with the business cards printing out in odd sizes is fact that GIMP offers templates in 72 ppi and 300ppi.

If you open a new image the GIMP default is 480 by 600 pixel image at a 72 ppi resolution. If at this point you enter your card dimensions in INCHES .... 3.5 by 2 inche ..... because the resolution is so low, you'll only get 252 by 144 pixels (which is the 72 ppi resolution for that size). And if you want to print that card in multiples on a standard 8.5 by 11 sheet, you'll find they print way way too small.

Why? Because the GIMP image for that standard paper size ( US-Letter) is 300 ppi. And you don't have enough pixels because you've created your card in only 72 pixels per inch rather than the 300 you need. So your card "shrinks" when you past it into a 300 ppi image.

But you can toss all this tech stuff out the door if you just remember a simple formula. Multiply inches by pixels. 300 pixels to the inch.

So 2 inches gives you 600 pixels. And 3.5 inches gives you 1050 pixels.

Now go to file, open .... image .... and then type your size in in PIXELS. With a 1050 by 600 you'll have a card completely compatible with the standard paper size. It will look HUGE on your screen, but just reduce the screen to 50% ( which won't affect the pixels but makes it easier to work on).

And voila ... there it is. Works with any sized card. Just make sure you're working in pixels and not inches.

Pick up a pre-formatted template for a ten card sheet at [url]http://TheGimpWimp.wordpress.com
[/url]
Nikkitytom

Postby Maffe811 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Nikkitytom wrote:
The problem many Gimpers have with the business cards printing out in odd sizes is fact that GIMP offers templates in 72 ppi and 300ppi.

If you open a new image the GIMP default is 480 by 600 pixel image at a 72 ppi resolution. If at this point you enter your card dimensions in INCHES .... 3.5 by 2 inche ..... because the resolution is so low, you'll only get 252 by 144 pixels (which is the 72 ppi resolution for that size). And if you want to print that card in multiples on a standard 8.5 by 11 sheet, you'll find they print way way too small.

Why? Because the GIMP image for that standard paper size ( US-Letter) is 300 ppi. And you don't have enough pixels because you've created your card in only 72 pixels per inch rather than the 300 you need. So your card "shrinks" when you past it into a 300 ppi image.

But you can toss all this tech stuff out the door if you just remember a simple formula. Multiply inches by pixels. 300 pixels to the inch.

So 2 inches gives you 600 pixels. And 3.5 inches gives you 1050 pixels.

Now go to file, open .... image .... and then type your size in in PIXELS. With a 1050 by 600 you'll have a card completely compatible with the standard paper size. It will look HUGE on your screen, but just reduce the screen to 50% ( which won't affect the pixels but makes it easier to work on).

And voila ... there it is. Works with any sized card. Just make sure you're working in pixels and not inches.

Pick up a pre-formatted template for a ten card sheet at [url]http://TheGimpWimp.wordpress.com
[/url]

What the scroogle...
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
---
Maffe811
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Requests