GIMP for Windows

Gimp will not start. Windows 7 64-bit (SP1)

Gimp for Windows XP SP3 or later

Gimp will not start. Windows 7 64-bit (SP1)

Postby Billogi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:24 am

Hey there. So Gimp will often crash for me or take forever to load. I have tried the normal installer and the unstable 64-bit installer and still no luck.
When it crashes it never gets past the "Loading data files" box.

My specs are as follows.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (SP1)
ATI Mobility Redeon HD 5850
12GB DDR3
i7 @ 1.73Ghz (2.3Ghz turbo)

How to fix it/speed it up?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did use the search funtion frst but was told that 64-bit was not found in any posts.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Billogi

Re: Gimp will not start. Windows 7 64-bit (SP1)

Postby Maffe811 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Nice specs.
I would try to let it go for 10-15minutes just to see what happens.
and do a cleanup, meaning delete all files and folders installed by gimp and then reinstall...
Ive been running the 64-bit intstaller of gimp for a long time with no problems.
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby Arzoroc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:26 am

So .. I'm at a Core2Duo @2.2 ghz from 2007 and on Windows, Gimp is up in about 8 to 9 seconds. On Linux it's even faster.. so the specs are definately not the problem.

The 2 most common solutions to such problems: Re-installing with a fresh installer from www.gimp.org OR Rod's favourite method: Deleting the gimp-2.6 folder at C:\Documents and Settings\YourName on Windows XP or C:\User\YourName\ on Windows 7 (Don't forget the backup if you have any fonts/brushes/patterns you don't want to lose!), then re-launching Gimp.

Try those two methods and tell us if there's any difference.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby Maffe811 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:26 am

Arzoroc wrote:Rod's favourite method: Deleting the gimp-2.6 folder at C:\Documents and Settings\YourName on Windows XP or C:\User\YourName\ on Windows 7 (Don't forget the backup if you have any fonts/brushes/patterns you don't want to lose!), then re-launching Gimp.

Aka. Clean install
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Return to GIMP for Windows