General Discussion

Pinch! Deleting layers is very advanced

For general talk about topics that are important to you. Use this forum if your post doesn't fit anywhere else.

Pinch! Deleting layers is very advanced

Postby gimpeRaven » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 am

I wanted to tell as a request to Gimp developers that the selection highlight after deleting the layer is too smart for me and maybe some users. It remembers the previously selected layer and then selects it as the current layer after deleting other layers.

(Deletion of layers is not in order in the stack when you did selected layers from different rows unlike in making layers which is from bottom to top)

Is this the case in others also?

So I just wanted to make this as a request but I don't know how it can reach them.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.
Gimp Users and Gimp Developer are good to try.

gimpeRaven

Re: Pinch! Deleting layers is very advanced

Postby Maffe811 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:14 am

Click trough all the layers you want to delete, then the delete them one by one.

OR

Hide all the layers you are NOT going to delete, right click, merge visible, make sure you keep the hidden layers, delete the now merged layer...
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby gimpeRaven » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 am

Maffe811 wrote:Click trough all the layers you want to delete, then the delete them one by one.

OR

Hide all the layers you are NOT going to delete, right click, merge visible, make sure you keep the hidden layers, delete the now merged layer...

You're right that there's a nice way to deal with this but new users might get confused with this deletion especially if they did a clean order of layers. There is a need for many clicks and this I want to tell.
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.

gimpeRaven

Postby Maffe811 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:18 pm

I wish 2.8 comes with multiple selection of layers.
So you could select more and delete! :P
But why don't you just learn coding, download the gimp source code, then find the delete code and edit it!
From "When the layer is deleted, go to the previous layer"
To "When the layer is deleted, go to the layer below"

Can't be to hard :P
(I jinxed it... Right ? xD)

(Is it x in jinx? or is it jinks ? or jincks ?)
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby gimpeRaven » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:07 am

Maffe811 wrote:I wish 2.8 comes with multiple selection of layers.
So you could select more and delete! :P
But why don't you just learn coding, download the gimp source code, then find the delete code and edit it!
From "When the layer is deleted, go to the previous layer"
To "When the layer is deleted, go to the layer below"

Can't be to hard :P

If gimp is in C Language maybe I can... but we're still lecturing about structures in my class so I don't know all yet. ;D
I'll try requesting it. They said it is the same in reporting bugs but under request. :wilber:
Last edited by Maffe811 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote

gimpeRaven

Postby Rod » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:12 pm

There is a scm script already named mig-gimp-layer-groups.scm
http://registry.gimp.org/node/16563
Plus there are a couple other scripts that do this.
This script allows you to select multiple layers that are linked (shift select-link) and then just run the script.
All linked layers are deleted.

Gimp-2.7.3 allows you to place all layers you want deleted into a layer group and delete the layer the layer group folder is on.That deletes every layer in that group.

I am also hoping to be able to shift select layers for deletion in Gimp-2.8 :)
Rod
Global Moderator

Return to General Discussion