General GIMP help

Uninstalling a Gimp Brush

Everything related to GIMP. Place for beginners to ask questions.

Uninstalling a Gimp Brush

Postby OldbutYoungatHeart » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:35 am

Help required please. I recently followed a tutorial about creating and installing your own brushes in Gimp. I managed to create (for test purposes) two brushes and install them.
Thereafter having proved the theory I then wanted to uninstall said brushes. I discovered that I could only find one of them in the Brushes folder and successfully deleted it but I cannot for the life of me find the second brush in order to delete it. It does not appear in the Brushes folder although it does appear when I open up the Gimp programme and I can use it.
I have done a search on my PC but can't find it anywhere. Anyone any ideas as to how I might get rid of it.

MY OS is Windows 7. :-[
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
OldbutYoungatHeart

Re: Uninstalling a Gimp Brush

Postby OldbutYoungatHeart » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 pm

It's okay I found the answer to my question in the 'Gimp Chat' Forum.
In case it would help anybody else here is what helped me -

'Open GIMP while logged in as your administrative user.
Open the "Edit->Preferences->Folders->Brushes" page and check the "Writeable" box next to the path "C:/Program%20Files/GIMP-2.0/share/gimp/2.0/brushes/" (or somesuch). Close the Preferences dialog.

Open the Brushes dialog ("Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Brushes") and activate the offending brush. The trash can icon should no longer be grayed out, and when you click on it, you will be asked if you want to remove the brush and delete its file from the disk.

Afterward, change your Preferences back so that system brushes are no longer writeable, close GIMP, and log out of your administrative account.'

I am so happy now I have been able to get rid of my second brush and in the process I have learned in future if I create any more brushes to save them in my personal brushes folder and not in the Program system folder. :)
OldbutYoungatHeart

Postby Rod » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:30 am

This is why i always stress to save everything in the username/gimp-2.6/ sub folders.
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby Maffe811 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:49 pm

^That also speeds up loading.
A tip i got when i had saved everything in the program folders :P
And i now know its true :P
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby OldbutYoungatHeart » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Rod I couldn't agree more. I have certainly learned my lesson..
OldbutYoungatHeart

Postby Rod » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:08 am

Besides this if you place them in the program directory sub folders you run the risk of losing all your add ons when you update.

A small hint for new splash screens -
Create a new folder named splashes in your user/gimp-2.6 directory place all your new splashes there.
Gimp will even run animated ones from there.PNG's, and GIF's. :)

I currently have 125 splash screens in there.My newest for 2.8 -
Rod
Global Moderator

Return to General GIMP help