GIMP for Mac

Apply Lens Filter broken on large files

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Apply Lens Filter broken on large files

Postby spaztec » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Good morning, afternoon or evening, everybody (depending on your time zone),

I switched from using Adobe CS to Gimp and Inkscape a couple years back, and have generally found no reason to want the Adobe tools back. I've just bumped into a problem that has me confused, though.

I'm doing a project that requires a fisheye lens effect be placed over a map. When I use "Apply Lens" in the Filters|Light and Shadow menu on small files (e.g. 800x600), it gives me exactly the result I'm looking for. However, when the same filter is applied to a large file (5000x5000), it distorts color, changing the image into one tinted by several large hue bands. Applying the filter to a really huge image (10,000x10,000) causes it to exit without completing. There's no error message, but no result, either.

The original image is a vector pdf imported as a raster file, and I'm using GIMP 2.6.10p1.

I've attached the original image and the distorted filter result of the 5000x5000 one, with the res scaled down to 1000x1000 to allow folks to access it easily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
spaztec

Re: Apply Lens Filter broken on large files

Postby virtualTune » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:40 pm

My first question would be, do you have a PC/Mac that is capable of handling such large images as 10k pixels. I know that I had trouble with images over 3k pixels with my old PC (Duo core). Obviously the colour problem is not one of your computer, but rather with GIMP.
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Postby spaztec » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 pm

The computer in question is a 2007-era core duo 2 macbook pro with its memory maxed out at 2GB...not the fastest machine in today's world but should be able to handle 10k px images, I would think.

If Gimp is causing the color issue at the lower resolution, do you have any tips or workarounds?
spaztec

Postby David Wood » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Does the image have to be 5000x5000?
David Wood
Administrator

Postby virtualTune » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:36 am

not sure if u can open this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 315AAHa6d9

if so , u might wanna check it from time to time
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Postby Maffe811 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 pm

spaztec wrote:The computer in question is a 2007-era core duo 2 macbook pro with its memory maxed out at 2GB...not the fastest machine in today's world but should be able to handle 10k px images, I would think.

If Gimp is causing the color issue at the lower resolution, do you have any tips or workarounds?

i have a 2008 think pad with... ehh... idk... 3 sec....
Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2370 @1.73GHz
2 gbs of ram and my pc is 32-bit if that haz anything to do with it...
my gimp will start to lag down at 2000*2000 and when i start to try to do anything it goes slow.. and suddenly it might freeze :( :(
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Return to GIMP for Mac