GIMP for Mac

XCF plugin with Gimp.app

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Re: XCF plugin with Gimp.app

Postby andreasw » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:34 pm

What ever happend to this? I'm still waiting for the final release :)
Hopefully with some boost in performance  ;)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
andreasw

Postby Mortimer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:09 am

Well, I have also been very taken by my own work...  ::)

the thing is, I had tried to make it faster with a specific gimprc that would disconnect plugins etc. But that break the whole thing.  >:(

It's nothing to code, just find how gimprc works, so if you want to try and find out what should be put in the gimprc to make it faster, go on ;)
Mortimer

Postby Auria » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Maybe we could just ask on the gimp-devel mailing list

I'd just need to find again the script i used to convert images... that was on the previous forum i think, or i just lost the post. i could play with it without quicklook
Auria
Retired Staff

Postby Mortimer » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:11 pm

really, I have no time to do it, but please do if you can, this would be great.

The conversion script is here on the SVN of sourceforge, with the quicklook plugin.
Mortimer

Postby Mortimer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Here is for the script I am using for testing timing, it's the same as the one in the plugin:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh

gimp-console -d -f -s -i -b "(define (quicklook-xcf filename_in filename_out max_size)  (let* ((image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE filename_in filename_in))) (drawable (car (gimp-image-flatten image))) (original-width  (car (gimp-image-width  image))) (original-height (car (gimp-image-height image))) (t-height (* original-height (/ max_size original-width))) (t-width (* original-width (/ max_size original-height)))) (gimp-image-set-resolution image 72 72) (if (< original-width original-height) (gimp-image-scale image t-width max_size) (gimp-image-scale image max_size t-height)) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename_out filename_out)(gimp-image-delete image))) (quicklook-xcf \"$1\" \"$2\" $3)" -b '(gimp-quit 0)';

you can try adding an extra --gimprc parameter, but I really can't get it to work. If I remove the plugin dir, then it says it can't find the interpreter...

Parameter 1 is the file name, 2 is the file to write to, 3 is the maximum size you want.
Code: Select all
./test-xcf.sh test.xcf test.png 800

I tried changing the resolution setting, but it makes barelly no differences on the execution time.
Mortimer

Postby neo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:24 pm

You should get a small performance improvement if you disable undo on the image after load. Use the call 'gimp-image-undo-disable' for that. The script will then need significantly less memory.
neo

Postby andreasw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:45 pm

neo: well all small improvements add up to a big boost in the end :) good job
andreasw

Postby zenbunny » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:19 pm

hey so i tried installing the plugin per the included instructions. nothing happened, finder just gave me the same gimp logo preview :( so i tried what quicklookplugins.com says (putting it in library>quicklook and using qlmanage -r in terminal) at first it crashed something (i can't remember what) but it works fine now.
just wondering whats the story on the plugin's progress
gimp 2.4.6 os x 10.5.4

(|- -|)
zenbunny

Postby lisanet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 am

Hi,

I've just made some small modifications to the plugin's "link_launch.sh" script.

First, there's no need to hardcode the path to Gimp.app as long as the plugin is put into Gimp.app under Contents/Library/QuickLook. Second, the "gimp-console" binary is not needed. You can just call "gimp-2.4" with the "-i" option. So there's no need to compile the gimp-console binary at all, which will slightly reduce the app bundle's size.

Here's the link to the modified plugin.

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download ... erator.zip

HTH
Simone
Enjoy GIMP on your Mac ...

... GIMP on OS X - http://gimp.lisanet.de
lisanet

Postby Auria » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks! :D

Is this plugin stable enough to be included? And also, what are the install instructions? (I have not been involved in the development of this plug-in, and i don't have Leopard - yet - so i'm not sure how to modify the build instructions to add it. though i should have a new computer with leopard later this week so then i can take a closer look)
Auria
Retired Staff

Postby lisanet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:11 pm

The plugin works on my system without any problems.
To Install it, simply create an folder 'Contents/Library/QuickLook' in Gimp.app and drop the plugin into it.

I've just build a Gimp.app which incluedes this plugin. Just see see my previous posting viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2731
Enjoy GIMP on your Mac ...

... GIMP on OS X - http://gimp.lisanet.de
lisanet

Postby ewonder » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks for creating the plug-in, I find it a little slow, like previewing Photoshop files I suppose, but its good to have it none the less. Can the speed be improved?
ewonder

Previous

Return to GIMP for Mac