GIMP for Mac

Quartz device

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Quartz device

Postby gcam032 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:23 am

Hi Team,

I posted this in the general gimp help before I saw the mac-specific one.

I installed the new Gimp.app the other day and ran the script to alter the X11 dpi to mimic OSX. I use a statistics programme, R.app, which is now having problems using the Quartz graphics device... it's producing horrible images and huge file sizes. I can only assume the two are related as I haven't done anything else.

Is there a script to reverse whatever the dpi script did? And anything else that Gimp may have changed?

Thanks

Gareth
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
gcam032

Re: Quartz device

Postby deimper » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:39 am

With Quartz graphics device, producing horrible images and huge file sizes? it seem can work fine for me.
deimper

Postby ~suv » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:27 pm

which OS X version, which X11 version?
As a quick hack, quit X11, open Terminal.app, enter
Code: Select all
sudo mv /usr/X11/bin/startx /usr/X11/bin/startx.96dpiforGIMP
sudo cp /usr/X11/bin/startx.orig /usr/X11/bin/startx
this should copy back the original version of the only file that was altered by change-x11-dpi. Then restart X11.
I cannot test above code at the moment, so if you don't trust it - try to ping -skl / somehow - the author of change-x11-dpi

Or - last resort (brute force ;-), reinstall/update .
~suv

Postby ~suv » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Rethinking previous comment - if you update X11/XQuartz, it will run with dpi = 96 as a default, which might result in the same difficulties with R.app. In that case you need to contact the developers of 'R' or consult the Apple mailing list.

btw - have you checked the if this is a known bug? After a quick look at the , recent versions seems to be a cocoa based application - which means there's no connection with X11 at all?

Maybe your R problems started after a recent OS X update (10.5.7) - unrelated to running 'change-x11-dpi'?
~suv

Postby ~suv » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:35 am

@ deimper,
On the website (linked in your sig) 'GIMP Review and Download,Image Editing Software,Graphics Software:', you claim
<…>
    # License: Free Trial Software
<…>
This is the official GIMP web site. It contains information about downloading, installing, using, and enhancing it. This site also serves as a distribution point for the latest releases. We try to provide as much information about the GIMP community and related projects as possible. Hopefully you will find what you need here. Grab a properly chilled beverage and enjoy. The license of this graphic software is Free Trial Software, you can free download and get a free trial before you buy. If you want to get a full or nolimited version of GIMP, you can buy this graphic software.

you own the 'official GIMP web site', really? Can I read this 'Free Trial Software Licence' somewhere, before definitely not downloading software from that site?
Maybe you ought to choose a better link for your sig ;-) like, say,
~suv

Return to GIMP for Mac