GIMP for Mac

Fine brush pixelation problems

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Fine brush pixelation problems

Postby MrSnotblock » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello,
I am a newbie to this forum even though I have used GIMP for a few years, but only on a PC running Ubuntu Linux. I had no problems till I changed to a Mac and now I cannot get a fine line without a lot of coarse pixelation/spatter on the 1 - 5 pixel wide round and fuzzy brushes. This is a problem as I use GIMP for illustration, mostly fine pencil and watercolour effects.
I recently upgraded from an old MacBook to a Mac mini running Lion, but the problem is still there.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
Many thanks :alien:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
MrSnotblock

Re: Fine brush pixelation problems

Postby Rod » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Did you check to make sure Jitter wasn't enabled?(brush tool options dialog)
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby MrSnotblock » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 pm

No it's not enabled. :question:

Thanks for your reply Rod
MrSnotblock

Postby Arzoroc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 am

Hm .. I cannot really follow your description, can you add a screenshot of your problem? This makes things easier for us I guess.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby MrSnotblock » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:04 am

Hm .. I cannot really follow your description, can you add a screenshot of your problem? This makes things easier for us I guess.

Thanks Arzorock and Rod. I believe I have solved the problem and the answer is embarrassingly obvious if I had thought harder about it in the first place. I used to work with huge picture sizes and move things around, usually I couldn't see a lot of what I had drawn. Of course, when you zoom in on any area of such a canvas at 200% or even 400% you still have a lot of pixels to play with.

I just remembered this, as I have been working with smaller pictures, rarely larger than 1000 x 700.

I worked it out with a downloaded painting by Tissot "On the Thames", that is only about 700 x 1000 in size. When you zoom in the dreaded pixellation is there too. I've tried to upload part of the painting that I "vandalised" along with this post.

D'Oh!!! I should have seen this. Sorry to waste your time. 8O
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrSnotblock

Return to GIMP for Mac