GIMP for Mac

Creating Brushes

Installation and Mac OS specific issues.

Creating Brushes

Postby Thombar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm fairly new to Gimp 2.8 and have purchased two books to try and learn the program. One is: "Gimp For Absolute Beginners". The other one is: "The Artist Guide to Gimp". In the second book it explains how to create your own brushes. I followed this tutorial to the letter and so far have not been able to find the brushes I have saved when I do a "refresh" on the brush tool dock. I have even downloaded the "X Quart" that was mentioned on this site when using the latest Mac OS X.8 Mountain Lion. Nothing I have tried helps. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Many thanks. :question:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Thombar

Re: Creating Brushes

Postby Arzoroc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 am

The most common source of error might be that the brushes you created may not have been saved in the correct location (the brush folder). Once you save the brushes to your brush folder, they will appear in the brush dialog on the next Gimp startup or brush refresh.
You can find the location of your brush folder at Edit > Preferences, then click on Folders and see the folder path.
Hope this helps.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Re: Creating Brushes

Postby Thombar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi Arzoroc,
Thanks for your quick reply. I have put the brushes I attempted to create in the Brush folder. I now have two such folders. The brushes do show when I open the folders. I also did both a "refresh" and closed and reopened the Gimp. The brushes still don't show in the brush doc toolbox. I did find a sort of work around in the I can create a "new brush" from the toolbox doc but it limits me to one of four basic shapes and some adjustments to those shapes. In the Artist book it says I can create a brush from any shape, design, or even part of a photo. The one in the tutorial was a "X" shaped crush. I find it in the brush folder but I still can get it in the brush toolbox.
Hate to be such a PITA, but I sure appreciate any help/suggestions you can offer.
Regards,
Thom
Thom Keach
Old Guy & New Gimp User
Thombar

Return to GIMP for Mac