Requests

Logo request

Renders, xcf's, etc.

Logo request

Postby sagteck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:48 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone wanted to create a logo for this I'm managing. Credit to both the user who creates it and gimper.net will be given when the logo is used (if more than one logo is created then I'll change it every once in a while once I get the new project off the ground). You can download Keyfinder 2.0.8 (the old version) and see what the current logo looks like.

Requirements:
  • Do not make it say MJB Keyfinder. The text should be the community project name "Enchanted Keyfinder".
  • The theme can be anything! I like creative and beautiful art. I know from my experience here that you guys are pretty good. Even if you don't think you're good post it any ways. Just have fun with it. My only request is that you please leave your own personal username/website off of the logo. I can include stuff like that when I give you credit for creating the logo.
  • Size: 188x116px
  • File Format: PNG
  • The logo will be released with the source code which means the GNU GPL will govern it.

Opportunity:
This could be an opportunity for gimper to get some more spotlight and artists. The old versions of the keyfinder currently receive an average of 10,000 downloads per week. As new releases of the community edition come out this should go up as people of have downloaded the older versions get new ones.

Background Info:
I've taken over the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder project and created a called Enchanted Keyfinder. Right now I'm in the process of changing its logos and information to reflect the community version. Once that is done I'll start bug fixing, after that implementing currently requested features, QA testing and then the I'll release the first community version. The cycle repeats. The Enchanted Keyfinder will always remain, free of charge, free, and open source.

Please post:
Logo.
Your name and/or username which you want credited for the logo. (optional)
Website you want users to visit. (optional)
If no name is given then I'll just credit the community as a whole at Gimper.net.

Also I'll post back here when/what logos are used in case you guys want to check it out.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by sagteck on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
sagteck

Re: Logo request

Postby mikethedj4 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Give me till Tuesday or Wednesday, and I'll get to making it.
mikethedj4

Postby sagteck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 pm

There's no deadline. Whenever you guys feel like it. I've still got a lot of work to do.
sagteck

Postby Arzoroc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:11 pm

Okay, so I've got a prototype, no text yet and maybe (?) a copyrighted image (the Windows logo, idk if it's an original one), but this is idea #1:
Schlüssel1.png

Idea #2 will come soon ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby sagteck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 am

Sweet, it's good for a first release :) I duno if MS cares I use it or not o.0. I think it's trademarked which may violate GPL.

I'll implement it for now.
sagteck

Postby sagteck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 am

Is there a website you want users to click on when they click on your username?
sagteck

Postby sagteck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 am

Made the first release, included Arzonic's logo.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/keyfin ... .1%20Beta/

Download the win32 zip file.
Open keyfinder.exe, click on Help > About and you'll see the image.
sagteck

Postby mikethedj4 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:10 am

Nice program, quick question. What do you use to develop your software on Windows. I used to use VB.NET, but I don't like the .NET Framework being a requirement to run the applications, and Jabaco, Auto It v3, and others I've used work great, but when using Resource Hacker to add the details for product name, version, and copyright, as well as adding my custom icon I can no longer run the program. So what do you use to develop your software???
mikethedj4

Postby sagteck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:01 am

I use a couple of programs because I develop in many languages. Here are all the IDE's I've used in no particular order as they pop in my head.

Name of IDE (language development)

Boreland Developer Studio 2006 (Delphi)
Turbo Delphi 2006 (Delphi)
Dev C++ (C++)
Visual Studio 2005 (C++ and C#)
Eclipse (Java)
NetBeans (Java)
HMNE or HM NIS Edit (NSIS)
Notepad++ (Python, VHDL, web languages, and many other languages)
Qt Creator (QT and C++)
Aptana Studio (JavaScript, PHP, and web applications)
SciTE (AutoIt v3)
PSoC Designer (Assembly and C)
Labview (Virtual Instrument)
Maple (mathematics)
Matlab (mostly linear algebra but also other mathematics)
LonWorks (Neuron C)
AutoCAD (CAD drawings)
ModelSim (VHDL)
Cadence (PSpice)

I try to avoid using Resource Hacker unless I'm trying to get icons from a program... using it for adding in icons and version information can cause application instability and who knows (system instability?). Most of the programs I mentioned have the ability for version information unless they aren't a compiled language (or an embedded application).

I've worked with more cross platform on other OS's but that rounds out Windows as far as I can think of. I feel like I'm forgetting some though. :/
sagteck

Postby mikethedj4 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:21 am

Do you know how to use CMake???

I just know Batch, Basic, C, C#, C++, Python, and Java for development, and I'm learning Assembly mainly for programming a bootloader when I ever wanna make an operating system.

I've used Eclipse before on Linux, and LOVED it, but never heard of NetBeans, and I've used QT Creator as well on Linux as well as the text editor, and making my code in there.

ex.
Code: Select all
#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int main (int argc, char **argv) {
  GtkWidget *window;
  gtk_init(&argc, &argv);

window = gtk_window_new (GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);
  gtk_window_set_title (GTK_WINDOW (window), "Simple App");
  g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (window), "delete-event", gtk_main_quit, NULL);
  gtk_window_resize(GTK_WINDOW (window),400,250);
  gtk_window_set_position(GTK_WINDOW(window), GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER);
  gtk_widget_show_all (window);

gtk_main();
  return 0;
}

On Linux I don't like using Glade or any other programs, cause I have a small hard drive, and I like to have my space for video editing, producing music, and such. So I make the GUI in there code it, and use the following code below to compile it.
Code: Select all
gcc -Wall -g -o ExampleApp exampleapp.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0` -export-dynamic

However it you haft to have these packages installed (build-essential, libgtk2.0-dev, libgtk2.0-doc, and libglib2.0-doc) in order to not just compile, but develop in Linux in which I like it being this way cause most of the apps people have installed it'll run fine with, plus I don't need other software to make the GUI like Glade this way it saves me space on my HDD, and the users can only have 1 file of the program on their hard drive, and it'll be portable so they can run it off their flash drive. (Depending on what's developed of course)

On Windows I've used Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Jabaco, and QT Creator on Windows. I really hate the Visual series from Microsoft only because it requires the .NET Framework, and I don't like that being a requirement to run the applications as not every windows user has it installed, and it makes the programs you developed only available for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 when I would want my windows programs to run on Windows 95+ so more windows users will be able to use it, as not everybody upgrades to the newest OS, cause of money, or whatever the reason is.

I used QT Creator in the past, and I really really loved it, but I'd like to do all my coding in a text editor. However I don't know if the programs compiled in QT Creator will run on Windows 95+.

Also I'd like to use CMake to make my programs made in lets say QT Creator to be multi platform and run on Windows/Linux/Mac OS 10/Unix/Solaris and Iris. Yeah I know I could develop Java applications, and make them a .jar and they'll be multi platform, but not everyone likes Java, and it's a way to make the program more user friendly. You see what I'm saying???
mikethedj4

Postby sagteck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:51 am

There's only one program in Java which, to this day still, I like (aside from IDEs). And that's sweethome3d.

CMake is pretty powerful. I haven't written my own CMake files from scratch but I've been a part of proprietary projects which use it. It has extensive documentation but there's a bit of a learning curve to it just like QT.

If it's a console app I'd rather it be C++ and cross platform. While it is possible to create Win9x apps with QT I think you would be punching yourself in the face based on this .

Glade is okay but I'm a KDE guy so installing all the packages for it can be a hassle. Gnome and KDE don't play well together unless you have both fully installed practically :S. At least that's what it feels like. I haven't designed any GUI apps on Linux yet. I mostly do scripting. I pretty much live in the terminal with god-like one liners at my finger tips. Completing tasks normal humans would take forever to do, you know what I mean ;). Do you know of a good GUI library which would play nice with both KDE and Gnome (and other window managers like open box, flux, E, whatever)?

build-essential is the first thing I do on any Linux box. I like to compile a lot of source because you get access to features you don't normally in outdated binaries. I install a whole host of packages along with it (I've got the list saved so I don't have to remember).

Programming FTW! Didn't think I'd find another technical oriented person on gimper. Last time I opened my mouth I got a nerd alert called on me xD.
sagteck

Postby mikethedj4 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm

sagteck wrote:There's only one program in Java which, to this day still, I like (aside from IDEs). And that's sweethome3d.

CMake is pretty powerful. I haven't written my own CMake files from scratch but I've been a part of proprietary projects which use it. It has extensive documentation but there's a bit of a learning curve to it just like QT.

If it's a console app I'd rather it be C++ and cross platform. While it is possible to create Win9x apps with QT I think you would be punching yourself in the face based on this .

Glade is okay but I'm a KDE guy so installing all the packages for it can be a hassle. Gnome and KDE don't play well together unless you have both fully installed practically :S. At least that's what it feels like. I haven't designed any GUI apps on Linux yet. I mostly do scripting. I pretty much live in the terminal with god-like one liners at my finger tips. Completing tasks normal humans would take forever to do, you know what I mean ;). Do you know of a good GUI library which would play nice with both KDE and Gnome (and other window managers like open box, flux, E, whatever)?

build-essential is the first thing I do on any Linux box. I like to compile a lot of source because you get access to features you don't normally in outdated binaries. I install a whole host of packages along with it (I've got the list saved so I don't have to remember).

Programming FTW! Didn't think I'd find another technical oriented person on gimper. Last time I opened my mouth I got a nerd alert called on me xD.

I tried Sweet Home 3D in either mid, or late 2008, and that was only really for architectural purposes, but was limited, and I personally like using Blender for all my 3D modeling needs.

I'd haft to say my favorite Java app so far that I can think of off the top of my head is , and in second is (Linux users, can get the pro version :D) , , (), (), , and I believe is made in Java, at least it's old version was but idk about the current version.

As for Linux I'm a GNOME guy, I can't stand KDE, and don't like it one bit, not to mention I like my desktop to look like this...
desktop.png

I have a video planned for my on getting Firefox to work with the .

I usually make the GUI for my applications in Linux using just a text editor, or Glade if it's a big interface, however if you're talking about making a custom GUI like lets say this... (I made this GUI for my gimp tutorial .)
customguitut.png

It is possible to do, however most users like the way their theme looks by what they choose, not what you made, however if you absolutely most, you could have a GtkFixed with GtkImages in it positioned with Glade.

I just heard about so I may use that instead of CMake, however not to sure yet.

The only programming forum I'm on is , which is mainly for Visual Basic, and Visual C# developers, but they'res others there, however I'll admit these kids are childish they've complained about some stupid things, but I noticed a lot of the users simply just go by marketing hype, and/or are incredibly biest (not all, but a lot I've seen), of a Halloween Contest I Entered, of a Mac vs. PC debate topic.

However I will say this hast to be the best forum for VB.NET programming I've been to, but do I like it, not really, and have been debating for awhile on deleting my account there, however I have some online friends on there, but not to sure if I wanna do so or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mikethedj4 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikethedj4

Postby Arzoroc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 pm

It's Arzoroc not Arzonic :question:

This was just a rough sketch and I'm shocked you already used it as the final symbol :o

I'm not too sure whether the two images I used are free to use though ...

Edit:
Solved it, look at page 2!
Inactive.

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Make it a penguin with keys Arzo. =)
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby Arzoroc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Lol :D
The bad thing is: It's only for Windows + the keys aren't free to use aswell (only if the photographer allows it)
Inactive.

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Requests