Photography

Photo Study: Starry Day

Photo retouching and editing.

Photo Study: Starry Day

Postby tstandiford » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:41 pm

The photographer who took this photo openly said "I've been borrowing nebulae from nasa :) hope they dont mind! This was originally shot in broad daylight" on his This means that he changed the background from day to night using gimp. The photo itself is really cool - except for the shadows of the trees shown on the trail. Those shouldn't be there, right? Trees don't cast shadow - at least not like that at night. What could you have done of you were making this edit to remove those shadows from the ground? Well, you probably could use an overlay to make the specific parts of the ground darker, or simply take this photo at noon, when no shadow is cast

What would help make selecting the sky to replace if with the starry sky easier? Hands down, shooting the would have helped, because that would give you the chance to create a very accurate layer mask to keep as many of your original tree branches as possible.

One other thing to note about this photo is the interesting color change that was applied to the top of the tree. I like it personally, but how would you add those to the tree? I'd probably mask off the tips of my tree so that my darken layers wouldn't make them dark, and then add a few dark pink overlays on the trees to give them that color.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

tstandiford

Re: Photo Study: Starry Day

Postby David Wood » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:24 am

You could use the dodge and burn tool to fix the shadows. And the color to alpha tool would work well if the sky wasn't cloudy.
David Wood
Administrator

Postby virtualTune » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:37 am

there could be an unknown lightsource that is not in the image. After all it is not on earth since there is no snow r ice on the ground and you wouldnt find a place that is warm enough for trees this high and no snow/ice from where you can see nebulae like that. :) I liked your other inspirations so far better.
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Postby Arzoroc » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 am

Unknown lightsource... moon? :D
Tbh the shadows don't bother me too much, the stars look weirder to me.. don't they fade out if they get closer to the horizon? It's looking like a flat image to me, no perspective changes to the stars at all. It may be that the perspective is applied perfectly fine, but it looks unnatural to me.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby virtualTune » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 am

add a fish-eye effect to the bg
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Postby Arzoroc » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:53 am

Something like that, yeah...
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby tstandiford » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah, I still think the long would project differently with moonlight, but I do soo what you mean about the stars.

tstandiford

Postby gimpeRaven » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:15 am

Was the trees extracted like that in renders by using paths or selection by color? They look to be cleanly removed . I also think the shadows stand out but only when noticed. Overall, the addition of a space bg makes a really great edit and it also happened that the trees have light strikes on them making an illusion that the light source is from the stars. ~up
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.
Gimp Users and Gimp Developer are good to try.

gimpeRaven

Postby virtualTune » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:38 am

recently i was outside at night walking through a small forest and interestingly enough, the moon was bright enough so that everything would cast a very clear shadow with almost no blur. It was quite eery but it remind me of this photograph.
virtualTune
Retired Staff

Return to Photography