Tips & Tutorials

Full Signature Tutorial

A place to share tips and tutorials. Resources for beginners and advanced users.

Full Signature Tutorial

Postby isabella2296 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:16 pm

In this tutorial, we will be creating a signature. The final result is shown below:

This tutorial assumes no knowledge beyond the ability to open up GIMP, so for the more experienced users, sorry if some parts are tedious.

Step 1. Hit Control-O and select your render. Mine is an anime girl. If yours has a gray checkerboard pattern behind it, that means the background is transparent. In such a case, simply go to Select > All and then hit Control-C to copy it. If it has a solid color, such as black or white, as the background, look at the toolbox. In the first row, at the end, there's is a hand pointing to a column of colorful squares (blue, red, and green.) Click that, and then click the background, before hitting Control-C. You should get the result shown in the below picture. If there is some other background behind your render, click the little lasso and select your render.

Step 2. Now go to File > New. A little box should pop up. Put 400 as the width and 150 as the height. Then hit "OK". You should get a blank, thin rectangle.

Step 3. Hit Control-L. This should open up a small box, the "Layers Dialog". You will see a small picture of the current blank image besides the word "Background" in this dialog, as well as an eye. At the bottom of the layers dialog, there is a row of icons. The first one should be a white sheet of paper with a yellow star in the upper right corner. Click it to create a new layer. Keep the width and height the same, make sure the background is "transparency", and type "Render" for the layer name. Then hit "OK". You should now see a thin, checkered rectangle in the layers dialog with the word "Render" next to it. Now hit Control-V. Your copied render should show up on the screen.

Step 4. Chances are, your render is either too big or too small for your image. In the layers dialog, it says "Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)" or something similar. Right-click on it and select "scale layer". Play around with the values until your render fits perfectly. It will probably be around 200 x something pixels. Next, go to the toolbox, and click the little blue icon with four arrows. Move around your render until you're happy about its position. Then go to the layer dialog and click the icon at the bottom that looks like an anchor. In my particular case, the render was oriented wrongly, so I went to Layer > Transform > Rotate 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Step 5. Find a background that fits your render's main color. In my case, I found a purple one. Go through the same steps as you did for your render, except with a layer named "Scene". Move it around with the blue arrow tool, if you like, until it looks nice. Make sure the scene layer is beneath the render layer - you can move it manually. Now right-click on the scene layer and click "Merge Down". This should merge it with your Background layer.

Step 6. Click the little eye on your render layer in the dialog to hide it for now, because we're going to work on the background. One of the icons in the layer dialog shows two small overlapping photos. Click it (but make sure your background layer is selected!) to duplicate it. This should give us another layer titled "Background copy". Hide the original background layer and select the copy. We're going to give it a little more color. Take a quick look at your render and pick a color in it that's not used as much in your background. In my case, black. Now make a new layer and title it "Splatters". It should be on top of your background copy layer but below the render layer. In the toolbox, click the paintbrush. Next to brush, there's a little white picture with a black circle. Click it, and find a splatter brush you either already have or download one. In the toolbox there are two squares, of black and white. On the black one, click it and select the color you picked from your render. I left it black in my case, because that was the color I chose. Now splatter with your brush on the "Splatter" layer, but don't overdo it! Use different brushes for the best result. Now, on the layers dialog, view the dropdown menu next to "Mode" and select "Overlay". Move the opacity (on the dialog) down to about 70.

Step 7. Select the "Background copy" layer and go to Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur. Change the numbers to 12 on both horizontal and vertical. Tone the opacity down to about 20 and then duplicate it to create another layer titled "Background copy #1". Click the eye on the original "Background Layer" and then select the Splatters layer. Right-click and hit "Merge Visible Layers". Then click the space where the eye was on "Background" to make it visible again.

Step 8. Make a new layer and title it "Sparks". Go to the brush tool on the toolbox and select the yellow sparks brush. Brush around so that the whole layer isn't covered, but the little sparks are somewhat evenly distributed. Then hide that layer (by clicking the eye), right-click, and click "Alpha-to-selection". Little moving ants should appear on the screen. Now create another layer and title it "Copy Visible Paste". Go to Edit > Copy Visible and then, making sure you have that "Copy Visible Paste" layer selected, go to Edit > Paste Into. Grab the little moving tool and move it around until it looks good. Then anchor it, hit Shift-Control-A, select the Sparks layer, and click the trash can on the layers dialog. Right click on "Copy Visible Paste" and hit "Merge Down". Repeat it one more time, except this time, brush until it almost covers everything.

Step 9. My background was looking pretty blurry, so I went to Filters > Enhance > Sharpen and played with the settings until it looked good. Make a new layer and title it "Renders". Move it on top of your Render layer. Re-select and copy your original render and then paste it repeatedly in this new layer, moving them around until they cover the whole thing. Now go to Filters > Blur > Gaussian and do it 15 and 15. Set the layer mode to Overlay.

Step 10. Duplicate your Background Copy layer and, on the toolbox, click the finger near the bottom. This is the smudge tool. Select the vine and smudge around on your new Background Copy #1 layer. When you're done doing that, select the Circle (13) tool and do the same thing. Then set Background Copy#1 to Multiply mode, duplicate it, and set the duplicated layer to Divide. Hide the "Renders" and "Background" layers and then merge visible layers. Then unhide them.

Step 11. Repeat what you did in Step 8. However, this time, make sure the "Render" layer is not hidden, and don't merge the "Copy Visible Paste" layer with anything.

Step 12. Duplicate your "Render" layer and go to Filters > Blur > Motion Blur. Put the length at about 20. Now set this layer to grain merge mode at about 70 opacity.

Step 13. Go to the bottom "Background" layer, duplicate it, and do the same thing as Step 12.

Step 14. Make a new layer right beneath your "Render" layer and title it "c4d". Paste in your c4d in this layer. Position it where it looks good and then set it to overlay. Repeat this a few times.

Step 15. Go to the background layer, duplicate it, and go to Filters > Artistic > Cubism. Use the default settings, then set the layer to overlay.

Step 16. Duplicate the background layer again, and go to Filters > Map > Displace. Displace it on both on the Renders layer, and then set it to Multiply.

Step 17. Hit Control-M and you are done. :) Post your results please, and as this is my first tutorial, please give me feedback!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
isabella2296

Re: Full Signature Tutorial

Postby KillaGrunt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Cool tutorial!
It gets confusing at some points but you get a good result.

Heres mine:
Meh...
KillaGrunt

Postby isabella2296 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Nice result. :)

What parts in particular were confusing? Thanks!
isabella2296

Postby KillaGrunt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Part six was pretty long and it confuzzled me
Meh...
KillaGrunt

Postby isabella2296 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Ah okay thanks. Next time I'll be sure to make the steps shorter. :)
isabella2296

Postby sigguy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:39 pm

pretty cool might try it later
sigguy

Postby Lamperouge » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Great tut!

Here's my result:

Lamperouge

Postby isabella2296 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Thanks! And nice result =)
isabella2296

Postby _TheKnight_ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Great tutorial :)

Here is my results:
_TheKnight_

Postby isabella2296 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks! That's a reallly nice result. =)
isabella2296

Postby BookerT316 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Very nice tut, I am going to try this one out. But in step 14 where do you get your c4d from? Or was some thing else your c4d?
BookerT316

Postby isabella2296 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:31 pm

isabella2296

Postby ViralTekniques » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Here is my result
ViralTekniques

Postby David Wood » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Edges are sloppy but overall it's a nice result. :)
David Wood
Administrator

Postby RomanTheOmen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:43 pm

how do i add my signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wilber:
RomanTheOmen

Next

Return to Tips & Tutorials