Tips & Tutorials

Isolate a Background Using Color - How To Use Gimp

A place to share tips and tutorials. Resources for beginners and advanced users.

Isolate a Background Using Color - How To Use Gimp

Postby tstandiford » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 am

Earlier this week I mentioned on that I discovered something about gimp that was pretty huge, something that would change how I edit photos forever.

Since then, I've been determined to figre out how to boil this small bit of information, and show you just how much this can help your layer masking and isolating backgrounds, especially in the studio scene and landscape photography. I finally decided to simply do what I do best - record a gimp video tutorial using the method that I discovered, and share it with everyone.

Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

tstandiford

Re: Isolate a Background Using Color - How To Use Gimp

Postby Arzoroc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:43 pm

Very nice method, but will it work with every background? Especially with multi-colored ones? I think one would run into problems if he faced a more difficult background.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby tstandiford » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:49 pm

It definitely will not work with everything, but what method truly does? I like to think of it as an additional method to add to your arsenal of options when trying to tackle something like this.

The cool thing is once you actually get the colors isolated, you can adjust levels by the specific channel and it will only change the areas that you want it to change.

tstandiford

Postby Rod » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:56 am

Another quick, effective, and simple way to remove a bg from an image.Thanks for sharing this Alex. :)
As you said it probably will not work on everything but it works far better than my 89 dollar Growcut software.

Nicely done!
Rod
Global Moderator

Postby Arzoroc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Growcut, Refine Edge and GML Matting are a bit .. weird anyway. Sometimes they work perfectly, and other times they just give out crappy results no matter what you do.
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 am

Agreed. :)
Rod
Global Moderator

Return to Tips & Tutorials