Tips & Tutorials

Lesson Five - Layer Masks Explained

A place to share tips and tutorials. Resources for beginners and advanced users.

Lesson Five - Layer Masks Explained

Postby tstandiford » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:31 pm

This lesson explains how layer masks work, and will give you an open introduction to the power this tool can bring to your photo-editing. This is probably the most important lesson on my site, because without this tool you will never be able to effectively get the more complicated edits down.

Related Posts:

Lessons Shown In Beginning and End of This Video:

Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!

tstandiford

Re: Lesson Five - Layer Masks Explained

Postby gimpeRaven » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am

Layer Masks are very helpful and learning how to use them will definitely save time and work. Tstandiford was right about the eraser to remove the actual top just to show the layer/s underneath it. It doesn't help when coloring and reverting the regions that was erased unlike masks that allows change from transparent (invisible), opaque (visible) or semitransparent (visible but can see through) represented by black, white and grey without destroying the image. Some things I do is duplicate the original and then make sure the layer mask is selected correctly (highlighted) so as not to paint anything on the duplicate.

Using gradients as layer mask is also better than what I do (using selections of blurred shapes then paint in mask). Some things to note: the mask and its layer share the same opacity % and colors will turn into greyscale once placed in the mask. Thanks for an introduction of "add Greyscale copy of layer" because it is new to me (looks like the negatives of camera films). It will be useful for my future Gimping. ^-^

Layer masks also works with layers with modes other than normal. They are also used in tricks to emphasize a subject with a colored layer with mask on top while its greyscaled one is below. :wilber:

This is a great video for Gimpers who are not yet familiar with layer masks. Straightforward, simple, highly detailed and very easy to understand. Thank you again for this video (will watch your other tuts). ;D
(see UI Brainstorm!). Discuss or seek help from other Gimp users and developers. Be part of the to create and receive daily topics.
Gimp Users and Gimp Developer are good to try.

gimpeRaven

Return to Tips & Tutorials