Help with the forum and suggestions

Support/Request teams

A place for advice on basic and advanced features of the forum. Do you have a suggestion that would make the forum better? Post it here.

Support/Request teams

Postby B☠N3S » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:27 pm

This was sead my David our fellow administrator and
David wrote:Well, hello to those who don't know me.

The blog idea is interesting if we keep the "photo blog" concept on it. As Sglider said, this is a GIMP Community, our main goal is to provide GIMP support. Keeping in mind that the cost for this idea would increase. There are a lot of factors why a suggestion can't be fulfilled.

Then why not have a Support team. They will be dedicated to help others ( obviously ) and help the new members when they are new and have questions etc etc. And maybe a Request team?

Before you start writhing a big old paragraph or things I won't read just think about it ok?

Its just an idea... don't go bananas if you don't like the idea (Specially you Glider :P ) Remember I'm an useless old member not your boss that demands you to follow this idea...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
B☠N3S

Re: Support/Request teams

Postby MattSomethin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:08 pm

Hmmm, I actually like that idea, and they could post in green, and they would be there to help newbies around the site and stuff?
MattSomethin

Postby Oakesyboy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:26 pm

isnt that we are doing already though?
Oakesyboy

Postby MattSomethin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:27 pm

yeah, more i thought about it, el llama, glider, and siddharth, kinda alreeeeady do that.
MattSomethin

Postby Oakesyboy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:29 pm

and the rest of the members help out too who arent mods or admins.
Oakesyboy

Postby MattSomethin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 pm

yeah, thats trueee..
MattSomethin

Postby B☠N3S » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:18 pm

Oakesyboy wrote:and the rest of the members help out too who arent mods or admins.

Again. Its just an idea. And it would be more nice to have a staff member PM you the first day you arrive to a decently big forum and tell you "What you need help with?" and maybe be there friend...
B☠N3S

Postby MattSomethin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:19 pm

hmmm ya.
MattSomethin

Postby B☠N3S » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Believe me it feels really nice :) I hate it when I come to forums and nobody notices that I joined
B☠N3S

Postby sglider12 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:49 am

But... that kinda throws away the whole forum. The forums is meant to be a support forum. Having a team defeats the idea. Anyone can answer a question and anyone can fill a request, so if you had this team idea, you might as well let the whole forum be on the team. It defeats the purpose.
PSNetwork: sglider12 <--Add Me!
sglider12
Retired Staff

Postby B☠N3S » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:06 am

sglider12 wrote:But... that kinda throws away the whole forum. The forums is meant to be a support forum. Having a team defeats the idea. Anyone can answer a question and anyone can fill a request, so if you had this team idea, you might as well let the whole forum be on the team. It defeats the purpose.

True... thx for not going bananas on me :P
B☠N3S

Postby AznFX » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:15 am

I dont think a forum needs these teams. The mods, admins and evn normal members already help new people alot in this forum
Be creative yo.
AznFX

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:57 am

sglider12 wrote:But... that kinda throws away the whole forum. The forums is meant to be a support forum. Having a team defeats the idea. Anyone can answer a question and anyone can fill a request, so if you had this team idea, you might as well let the whole forum be on the team. It defeats the purpose.

That is where your wrong sglider people don't come to this forum for "Support" we come to enjoy talking to people. Why do experts like Rey and El Tornato keep posting on the forum? They don't need "SUPPORT" there already good enough with out "Support". "Support" forums don't get a lot of viewers. My main point: FORUMS ARE COMMUNITIES!

As for bones idea..I started posting on this forum maybe a month or two ago? I felt more then welcomed and I have gotten all my questions answered and all my work has gotten feedback.
Steve

Postby sglider12 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Steve wrote:

That is where your wrong sglider people don't come to this forum for "Support" we come to enjoy talking to people. Why do experts like Rey and El Tornato keep posting on the forum? They don't need "SUPPORT" there already good enough with out "Support". "Support" forums don't get a lot of viewers. My main point: FORUMS ARE COMMUNITIES!

As for bones idea..I started posting on this forum maybe a month or two ago? I felt more then welcomed and I have gotten all my questions answered and all my work has gotten feedback.

No, we are a support community. That's the whole reason this forum is created. Ask Gimper, he created it. He'll support me on this. And next time, please, calm down. The yelling isn't necessary.

The meaning behind the entire forum is for it to be a support community. That's why so far we have refused every gfx idea to date. We won't support the rolling sigs at the bottom of the forum showing sotw winners or gotw winners. That's not why we're here.

Please check your stuff before you make another post like that Steve.
PSNetwork: sglider12 <--Add Me!
sglider12
Retired Staff

Postby David » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 pm

Well, yes this is also a community and a support forum, and we also strive to provide more community features like galleries and blogs. It doesn't mean all ideas will be approved just because we are a community.

The reason I don't create a new "support" team or group or whatever. Is because peope will try to intimidate/abuse other members. We administrators don't have the time enough to deal with the issues (until xmas where we will have free time).

Not only I find it useless, it is unneccessary at the moment. There are tons of members who are talented and they offer their help even if they don't have a rank. The reason there are global moderators is not because they know the GIMP well, but also because they maintain order in the forum.

I noticed there are several posts, and believe me becoming a moderator or someone with a rank is not easy. There must be trust between admins and other fellow moderators. Even if I open a new topic for users to apply as moderators it doesn't mean everyone will become one.
David
Retired Staff

Next

Return to Help with the forum and suggestions