General Discussion

Copying & flipping problem

For general talk about topics that are important to you. Use this forum if your post doesn't fit anywhere else.

Copying & flipping problem

Postby lornick » Wed May 11, 2011 8:48 am

HI im new to gimp and ive search the forum and cant seem to get an answer to my question, so i appologise if its already been answered in a previous post.

i know how to copy and paste in gimp and i dont really have any issues with it until i flip an a part of a layer.

I just want to copy a particular part and flip it, but when i do this, it tends to flip even the copied layer ugh driving me nuts, ive tried select none this didnt help, i tried to invert then it worked but only copied it to center of page instead of flipping and copy it exactly.

Im only new to gimp so its prob a real simple task, and i could do it yesterday but once i installed the help tutorial with gimp the issue has happened. Really hope some gimp wize can help me on this thanks up front

This is similar to what im trying to achieve

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19 ... blem2.jpg/

This is what happens when i copy paste

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... oblem.jpg/
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by lornick on Wed May 11, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lornick

Re: Copying & flipping problem

Postby Arzoroc » Wed May 11, 2011 10:18 am

A few screenshots would be nice, as I don't fully understand your problem.
If you want to copy and flip a part of a layer, simply...

- Select the part you need with one of the selection tools
- Go Edit > Copy
- Go Edit > Paste
- Go Layer > New Layer
- Go Layer > Layer to image size (<- this decides whether the part you selected is just flipped on it's current position of if it is flipped to the opposite site of the image. Leave this step out if you want the copied part to stay on the exact same place it currently is)
- Go Layer > Transform > Flip horizontally/vertically
- If needed, select the Move Tool and move the flipped layer around via drag and drop

If this does NOT do the job, please post some screenshots of your problem or explain yourself in a more detailed way.

Hope this helps,
Arzo
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby Maffe811 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 pm

~up ^
Got möp?
SOTW #1 ^
"Photoshop!? You don't need no stinkin' Photoshop" - We'll show you the power of the Gimp!!!
---
Honest CnC always beats crap CnC
Baum wrote:I think it doesnt has to be mentioned that self-voters have a small p....hotograph :D
Maffe811
Global Moderator

Postby lornick » Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Arzoroc wrote:A few screenshots would be nice, as I don't fully understand your problem.
If you want to copy and flip a part of a layer, simply...

- Select the part you need with one of the selection tools
- Go Edit > Copy
- Go Edit > Paste
- Go Layer > New Layer
- Go Layer > Layer to image size (<- this decides whether the part you selected is just flipped on it's current position of if it is flipped to the opposite site of the image. Leave this step out if you want the copied part to stay on the exact same place it currently is)
- Go Layer > Transform > Flip horizontally/vertically
- If needed, select the Move Tool and move the flipped layer around via drag and drop

If this does NOT do the job, please post some screenshots of your problem or explain yourself in a more detailed way.

Hope this helps,
Arzo

No it didnt help, sorry, u see moving it would create a long time in creating the end effect, im after only to do half the image, and then copy paste it to opposite side, that way i only have to do half my image will save me a long long time in creating. I know gimp can do this, im just having issues doing it now. Bit like creating a mirror image.. Again tyvm for your help i edited my post to show u links ty

if this helps im creating avatar clothes in imvu, this requires exact positioning of each area, and the clothes are identical on the oposite side, so lining it up exactly is an issue, just a tiny bit off, makes the clothing look wonky and unprofessional. Plus saves a hell of a lot of time doing the same things over and over again :) Just a quick note the black appears to be black but it is actually transparant :)
lornick

Postby lornick » Wed May 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Would it be a layer Mask i use? Considering the layer im trying to copy is partically transparant?
lornick

Postby Arzoroc » Thu May 12, 2011 12:46 pm

I guess I got your problem now. You want to turn this:

into this:

So you want your whole image mirrored to one side?
Inactive.
Spoiler: show
Willy wrote:arzorac

Maffe811 wrote:Arcoroc

David Wood wrote:Arzorac

sagtek wrote:Arzonic

Legionenigmatics wrote:azornac

Cyrilshark wrote:Argzornack, I still have to congratulate you on having the most epic signature ever. haha

*bow*
Arzoroc
Global Moderator

Postby Rod » Mon May 16, 2011 4:38 pm

I think you would just need to double the width of your canvas. Image/Canvas Size
Then copy and paste as a new layer (your image)
Move the image you pasted around until its where you want it then merge it with the other one.
That will paste an exact image duplicate on the same layer.

At least that's what i think you wanted?
So you would in effect just need to enlarge your canvas to fit the duplicated layer on the layer with the original you copied.
Rod
Global Moderator

Return to General Discussion