XCF plugin with Gimp.app

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by Mortimer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Auria

Auria Member

Maybe it would work to point it to a modified gimprc file, where plug-in-path is set to empty
  2. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home page:
    Yeah, that could be the way, the man says: "-g, --gimprc <gimprc>
    &nbsp; &nbsp; Use an alternative gimprc instead of the default one. Useful in cases where plug-in paths or machine specs may be different"

will try that tomorow.
  3. andreasw

andreasw Member

sweet!&nbsp; ;D
  4. andreasw

andreasw Member

2 days has pasted, i'm worried&nbsp; :(
  5. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home page:
    hehe, it's called hang over and easter WE ;)

I tried making a custom rc, but there is something wrong for now. Gimp doesn't find the script fu interpreter if I don't provide a plug-ins directory :(
  6. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home page:
    I may be stating the obvious here but this shouldn't\wouldn't work with Tiger because it doesn't have Quicklook. Auria are you trying to make this work in Tiger?
  7. Auria

Auria Member

Nope, Mortimer is the one involved with that script, I'm not
  8. andreasw

andreasw Member

because of the lack of Quick Look, this plugin will never come to tiger :p
  9. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home page:
    I was asking because it seemed like Auria was trying to compile it on Tiger. So I was thinking if so it's probably not worth the effort to fix it so it does compile under Tiger since it wont work there. In case anyone misunderstood I wasn't asking if there was going to be a Tiger version.
  10. Auria

Auria Member

Nope, I never tried compiling it, I was just suggesting ideas to Mortimer
  11. andreasw

andreasw Member

What ever happend to this? I'm still waiting for the final release :)
    Hopefully with some boost in performance&nbsp; ;)
  12. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home page:
    Well, I have also been very taken by my own work...&nbsp; ::)

the thing is, I had tried to make it faster with a specific gimprc that would disconnect plugins etc. But that break the whole thing.&nbsp; :mad:

It's nothing to code, just find how gimprc works, so if you want to try and find out what should be put in the gimprc to make it faster, go on ;)
  13. Auria

Auria Member

Maybe we could just ask on the gimp-devel mailing list

I'd just need to find again the script i used to convert images... that was on the previous forum i think, or i just lost the post. i could play with it without quicklook
  14. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home page:
    really, I have no time to do it, but please do if you can, this would be great.

The conversion script is here on the SVN of sourceforge, with the quicklook plugin.
  15. Mortimer

Mortimer New Member

Home page:
    Here is for the script I am using for testing timing, it's the same as the one in the plugin:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

gimp-console -d -f -s -i -b "(define (quicklook-xcf filename_in filename_out max_size)&nbsp; (let* ((image (car (gimp-file-load RUN-NONINTERACTIVE filename_in filename_in))) (drawable (car (gimp-image-flatten image))) (original-width&nbsp; (car (gimp-image-width&nbsp; image))) (original-height (car (gimp-image-height image))) (t-height (* original-height (/ max_size original-width))) (t-width (* original-width (/ max_size original-height)))) (gimp-image-set-resolution image 72 72) (if (< original-width original-height) (gimp-image-scale image t-width max_size) (gimp-image-scale image max_size t-height)) (gimp-file-save RUN-NONINTERACTIVE image drawable filename_out filename_out)(gimp-image-delete image))) (quicklook-xcf \"$1\" \"$2\" $3)" -b '(gimp-quit 0)';

you can try adding an extra --gimprc parameter, but I really can't get it to work. If I remove the plugin dir, then it says it can't find the interpreter...

Parameter 1 is the file name, 2 is the file to write to, 3 is the maximum size you want.
    Code:
    ./test-xcf.sh test.xcf test.png 800
    I tried changing the resolution setting, but it makes barelly no differences on the execution time.
  16. neo

neo New Member

You should get a small performance improvement if you disable undo on the image after load. Use the call 'gimp-image-undo-disable' for that. The script will then need significantly less memory.
  17. andreasw

andreasw Member

neo: well all small improvements add up to a big boost in the end :) good job
  18. zenbunny

zenbunny New Member

Home page:
    hey so i tried installing the plugin per the included instructions. nothing happened, finder just gave me the same gimp logo preview :( so i tried what quicklookplugins.com says (putting it in library>quicklook and using qlmanage -r in terminal) at first it crashed something (i can't remember what) but it works fine now.
    just wondering whats the story on the plugin's progress
    gimp 2.4.6 os x 10.5.4

(|- -|)
  19. lisanet

lisanet Member

Hi,

I've just made some small modifications to the plugin's "link_launch.sh" script.

First, there's no need to hardcode the path to Gimp.app as long as the plugin is put into Gimp.app under Contents/Library/QuickLook. Second, the "gimp-console" binary is not needed. You can just call "gimp-2.4" with the "-i" option. So there's no need to compile the gimp-console binary at all, which will slightly reduce the app bundle's size.

Here's the link to the modified plugin.

http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download ... erator.zip

HTH
    Simone
  20. Auria

Auria Member

Thanks! :D

Is this plugin stable enough to be included? And also, what are the install instructions? (I have not been involved in the development of this plug-in, and i don't have Leopard - yet - so i'm not sure how to modify the build instructions to add it. though i should have a new computer with leopard later this week so then i can take a closer look)