1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way to make checkered background larger than the image?

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by PugfacE9, Nov 18, 2010.

1. PugfacE9

PugfacE9 New Member

Hi to all,

This is probably real basic but I can't figure out how to do this.

I have an old Polaroid photo with the white border around it. The problem is that the photo was cut and one of the border's are missing. I want to take a border and copy it, then paste it within the same photo to create the missing border.

I am opening the photo as a layer, selecting the border using the rectangle select tool, then copying it and pasting it (it goes in as a floating layer) I then use the move tool to pull it to the proper location. This is where I have the problem. When I get the border to the end of the photo, it becomes clear and essentially disappears. I hid the layer (called background) and my image disappeared revealing a checkered area beneath it. It appears that the area I am trying to lay my border upon is out of the boundary of the checkered background. Is there a way to enlarge the background so it is bigger than my image?

I am using Gimp 2.6.11 on Vista

2. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    You are trying to add a border beyond the image's canvas. In order to make the border visible, you have to increase the amount of canvas the image has. Go to Image > Canvas Size. Uncheck the chain link between the values and increase the value for whichever edge you need changed. Then in the preview window move the image way from the edge you need to give a border and chose OK. Now you can move the border layer to the correct position. :)

3. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

btw, i think there is a "center" button on the canvas size!

4. David Wood

Home Page:
    But it doesn't need to be center, only one side is missing the border. ;)

5. PugfacE9

PugfacE9 New Member

Can the canvas layer be changed multiple times because I had a problem. I changed the canvas size successfully, placed my border onto the base, but then needed to extend my canvas further. Was able to do it, but I could not colorize it white. I had 3/4 of a white canvas and 1/4 checkered. (I probably did something wrong ??? )

I also had 3 layers
    1] A floating layer containing the border
    2] A base where I pasted the border
    3] The background

At one point I think that they became locked as an alpha channel. I could not select any layer. I had to anchor the layer and the floating layer disappeared.

I did many steps and lost track of exactly what I did. All I know is that I was unable to fill the extended background canvas with white.

I have saved it with the border successfully in place. I am now trying to see if I can add the checkered canvas behind the photo so I can color the checkered canvas another color.

6. David Wood

Home Page:
    Is the layer you are trying to paint on the full size of the canvas? Layer > Layer to Image Size. :)

7. istarlome

istarlome Member

if i were doing this i would.

open a transparent canvas bigger than my image. like twice as big.
    paste the image in the center.
    do the copy of the part you need.
    paste that copy on a new layer and move it to where you like.
    merge the layer down and alpha select.
    then click: image>fit canvas to selection.

8. PugfacE9

PugfacE9 New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by on the full size of the canvas :question: It was the canvas layer. I had enlarged it earlier and filled it with white. After I added my border the canvas beneath it on that side was a bit short so I enlarged the canvas some more. It appeared on the background layer with a yellow dotted line surrounding the added portion. (I'm not sure if I clicked the eye or not on that layer) The added portion was right next to the part I filled earlier with white. The part containing the yellow dotted line had a checkered appearance and I could not fill it with the bucket.

Any idea why the yellow line could not be moved or filled?

I have since saved it and just made a new canvas slightly larger than the original image. I imported the pic as a layer then colored the background a new color and merged the layers down.

Do you know what the difference is between merging the layers and flattening them?

9. istarlome

istarlome Member

i'm thinking that the yellow dotted lines represent the area of that layer. you can't fill outside of that because the layer doesn't go outside of the dotted line. gimp can have different sized layers and i think that's what david was getting at. if you go to the layer with the dotted lines and click: layer>layer to image size, you will see the dotted line go away.

the difference between flattening and merging down is that flattening will remove transparency. so if your background is transparent, it will turn white (it may turn whatever color is active. i didn't check that).

open a canvas that is transparent. add a layer and select a smaller rectangle. then fill with red or whatever color you like. you should see the rectangle surrounded by those gray squares (those represent transparency).

now flatten the image and you will see the rectangle surrounded by white. or maybe a color.

10. David Wood

Home Page:
    Transparency will be filled with whatever the background color is.

11. istarlome

istarlome Member

that's what i thought but didn't have a chance to test it...thanks :)

12. PugfacE9

PugfacE9 New Member

I will be sure to try the layer>layer to image size the next time I am faced with the same dilemma. I did not save the file from that point and have since corrected it another way by just resizing a new canvas.

Tried the instructions for the transparency too. It saved the red box with white around it.

Thanks for your help and David's too ~up

13. Maffe811

Did not see that :p

14. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

There are also photo templates you can download that are just the white frame with black inside.
    you then just open one you like, throw in your image and rotate to your liking.

done =)

15. Maffe811

there is also a poly...poli.... whatever that image type is called... uhm... il google it...