1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unselect a tool?

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by szlogolept, May 1, 2009.

1. szlogolept

szlogolept New Member

I hope somone here would be able to help me.
    Could someone please tell me how to deselect/unselect a tool?
    I downloaded and installed Gimp 2.6. Started it and selected brush from the
    tool box. Now whenever I start Gimp the brush tool is there and I cannot
    find a way to get rid of it. I have a G4 with 10.4.11.
    I uninstalled Gimp downloaded a fresh copy of the disk image twice and on both
    occasions the brush remained selected which means that Gimp is not completely
    uninstalled from the system. What should I do to uninstall it completely.
    Thanks very much in advance.
    Cheers

2. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

well you cant deselect a tool. you have to pick a different one. also, gimp starts up with the paint tool as default.

3. szlogolept

szlogolept New Member

:wilber: Thanks for the reply. It satisfactorily answers my query but it is I think a serious flaw in the software. I had wasted a lot of time and effort on it. I serached for 'uninstall' in the Gimp manual and it returned no matches. Well, thanks again.
    Cheers

4. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

lol =) well why would you want to deselect a tool? honestly, i dont see any reason to do so...

i highly doubt youre gonna find many programs that have a deselect tool option...

5. Dracos66

Dracos66 Member

AS far as I know there is no "deselect" option with image manipulation tools. Each program usually defaults to a primary tool when loading. That being said, if you are proficient at software programming you can download the source code for GIMP and rewrite the load behavior so that it loads without pre selecting the brush tool. Although why anyone would go through that trouble is beyond me as its just as easy to simply select the tool you want to use.

6. bumper123

bumper123 New Member

I am also a newbie and had the same question about removing selection area tools from image once I was through using them. Finally found the answer on another forum. At the top toolbar click "Select" and from the dropdown menu, click "none". Ta dah!!! Hope that helps. Apparently a lot of people have this question but it took a lot of hunting to find the answer.

7. Dracos66

Dracos66 Member

Deselecting an area and deselecting a tool are two different things.. When you select an area you see the "marching ants" around your selection, useful for literally hundreds of image options :). You can usually deselect an area by right-clicking on it and clicking deselect, remove selection, etc, or use the toolbar/navigation bar (Drop down bar) to deselect an area. For tools you have to select another tool.

8. szlogolept

szlogolept New Member

Sorry it does not work at least not on a mac with OS X and also it seems the Select function is not for the tools for when Gimp is opened None is dimmed. My only problem is that I forget that brush is selected by default and I have to regularly undo the marks dots and smudges created inadvertently by the brush.

Cheers

9. bumper123

bumper123 New Member

Thanks for the clarification...I was thinking of the "marching ants" selection areas and not the tools. It seems I tried lots of things (and usually right clicking is an early option) to get rid of the area but nothing worked until the Select>none at the top. I only installed GIMP a couple of weeks ago and have much to learn. I'm used to a relatively simple photo editing program, MS PictureIt! and the sophistication of GIMP is a bit overwhelming except in small doses. Appreciate the willing and patient help offered here.

10. John Clark

John Clark New Member

I think every one is missing the point when they sy "why
    Yes other programmes like Fireworks you can deselect the tools/paint brush and go back the the normal curser (arrow head most commonly). This ensures you do not do things by mistake like draw unwanted marks, or cut sections out by mistake. All it need is a selection in the tool box with a arrow icon. Some of us would like this feature and something so simple why not include it.