Tutorial Request

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Moosecake, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Moosecake

Moosecake New Member

Hello people,

I'm rather new to gimp and would like to know if anyone could help me with making a logo? I have an idea of how I'd kind of like it to look but I need some tips on how to make it look like the following picture. This is the closest picture I can find to the styling that I would like:

[​IMG]

Essentially I would like to know how to make the text have a thick(ish) black outline and how to make the text look cracked. Also, some shading would be sweet.

If anyone can be bothered or has the time to help me then I would be most greatful; or if someone can point me in the direction of another (set of) tut(s) on this then I will love you all the same!

Thanks very much,

Moose! 8O
  2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Well, if you don't want to use the logo commercially I would simply using a font that suits you (free fonts can be found all over the web, for example at dafont.com). If you want to do everything from scratch.. well, this will be a tough one ;)

The black outline is easy though:
    -Take your text layer (I assume you have got a seperate layer for your text, with nothing but the text on it, not even a background) and rightclick on the layer symbol.
    - Choose "Select from Alpha" in the menu that pops up now. This basically creates a selection around your text.
    - Go to "Select > Grow" (I guess it's called grow.. or enlargen or something) and grow the selection by the amount of pixels that suits you best (the more you grow it, the thicker the layer will be. I would suggest 5-10 pixels for the first try, adjust these numbers to your needs).
    - Now create a new layer, move it underneath the text layer (important) and go to "Edit > Fill with FG color". If black was your foreground color you now have a black border around your text.

This is all I can say for now. The cracks.. you could paint them with the pencil tool or create crack-ish selections and delete whatever is inside of them .. hmm.. as I said, if you want a quick and easy way, download a font for that. If you want the hard way, draw everything by yourself.
  3. Moosecake

Moosecake New Member

Ok dude, thanks very much for the help anyway! It will be for commercial (or I hope it to be), I'm a games programmer but want to be at least a little decent in all fields.

Once again though, thanks for the reply!
  4. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Try the chisel script here
    <a class="postlink" href="http://registry.gimp.org/node/24217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://registry.gimp.org/node/24217</a>