1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transparent background

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eager to learn, Feb 1, 2013.

1. eager to learn

eager to learn New Member

Hi,

I scanned in my signature signed on a white paper but that white shows up as the background in the scanned signature file.

How can I set the background in GIMP (XP Pro) so that when I scan something the background is transparent?

If I've already scanned something in with a white background can I edit that file (e.g. BMP, GIF) later and change the background from white to transparent?

Thanks so much.

2. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

You can remove the white and replace with transparency:
    - "Layer/Transparency/Add alpha channel"
    - "Colors/Color to Alpha"

Now, a scan output is usually not completely white, so you can make it a bit more uniform with this technique:
    - Duplicate layer
    - Select bottom copy and "Filters/Blur/Gaussian blur". Use a very large radius (about 1/4th of the width of the scan)
    - Select the top copy and put it in "Grain merge" mode (using the mode selector at top of the Layers list).
    - "Layers/New from visible" (this makes a nbew layer from the result)
    - Using the "Brightness/Contrast" or "Levels tools", make the black blacker (the method above washes it out a bit)
    - Clean remaining spots with a white paint brush
    - Apply Color-to-alpha as above

3. eager to learn

eager to learn New Member

Hi ofnuts,

I tried your instructions and I'm able to do Layer/Transparency/Add alpha channel but when I go to Colors and look at the drop-down menu the Color to Alpha is all greyed out so if I click on it nothing happens.

I tried this with a GIF of my signature and then a BMP file of it and got the same results.

I then tried it on another PC running XP Pro and got the same results.

I'm using GIMP version 2.8.2 and whatever the latest GIMP version is which I downloaded on the other PC a couple of days ago.

I tried as regular user and admin but got the same result.

I'm not sure what's wrong.

Thanks for your help.

4. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

This i slikely because your scan is a grayscale image (*) (it should say so in the title bar) and not full color. Use "Image/Mode/RGB" to make it full color, then try again.

(*)A grayscale image for Gimp is an image with only one channel per pixel. A full-color image can also look grayscale if all channels have equal values, but it's not grayscale for Gimp.