1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too small font-size in Toolbox Window

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by 1xoid1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. 1xoid1

1xoid1 New Member

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Gimp installation to version 2.6.2. I am working on a Ubuntu Linux machine under version Hardy 8.04 LTS. The update process worked out fine. When started the first time I realized that the two windows for the toolbox and the docs showed up with way too small fonts.

A search in the web indicated that this problem could be overcome by navigating to the file /usr/share/gimp/2.0/themes/Default/gtkrc. The advise was to search for all lines containing 0.8333 and change those to 1.0. When this was done the docs-window font-size changed as desired but the window header stood too small and also the tool-box-window changed not at all.

In another post it was mentioned that a change of the windows-preferences under options will do the trick. Now the headers showed up with the correct font-size. The window-preference for both windows was changed to "normal window".

But still the toolbox-window kept the small fonts. Does anybody know how to make the toolbox-window change the font-size? Thanks in advance.
    Regards, 1xoid1.

2. undrgrnd

undrgrnd Member

Student
    i don't about you but i find that installing windows solves the problem

3. 1xoid1

1xoid1 New Member

Hi undrgrnd,

Thanks for your reply. Switching the OS in order to overcome the problem is for sure an option but I like Linux a lot and would like to stay with it.

Regards, 1Xoid1

4. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

you can use duo boot, something like vmware, a virtual windows program, or wine? does anyone know if wine works with gimp?

5. 1xoid1

1xoid1 New Member

Hello sky-fyre,

Thanks for pointing out the possibility to use an OS switcher at boot time in order to overcome the problem. If I am not mistaken "The Gimp" was initially designed for running on *nix OS like Linux, Solaris, HP-UX and IRIX. So I am still hoping that a solution for my above described problem is somewhere out there not forcing me use Windows in order to get Gimp to display properly.

Is the GIMPER.NET more the sort of place for users working with Gimp based on Windows OS? If so, is there any other site with the main topic Gimp for Linux users?

Regards, 1xoid1
    P.S. Very nice signature picture.

6. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

why thank you =) was made by breathinfire =D

well there is only a forum here just for mac users. i have not heard of any other site that has a linux users section, but then, i havent seen many forums and linux is really well known =[

7. undrgrnd

undrgrnd Member

Student
    if i were you stop using inferior OS's to avoid these kinds of problems

what can a penguin do against a square! not just one, but four! yes you read that right, FOUR squares!

[​IMG]

8. sky-fyre

sky-fyre Active Member

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

i couldnt resist.

9. Amuro Ray VV

Amuro Ray VV Member

Graphic Dersigner
    Yeah one linux user here too ;) OpenSuSE 11

Well i really dislike gnome but i ithink there is some way to change the font size on gnome apps. It's GTK so maybe it will effect with GIMP too.

I use KDE so its easy to use Kde control centre with GTK and fonts module ;) I don't have your problem but i think this could work.