1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Substituting background for an object

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by eager to learn, Dec 29, 2015.

1. eager to learn

eager to learn New Member

Hi there,

In GIMP, there's an easy way to substitute a foreground color or an object with a background color without having to draw boxes, etc.

I'm trying to recall the exact steps. I thought it was 3 simple steps like you place your mouse cursor over the background area of color you wanted and right-clicked the mouse and it then captured that background color. Then, you place the mouse over the foreground or object in a photo you wanted to be replaced by the chosen background color and you chose something like Ctrl or Shift and then left clicked the mouse and it swapped the foreground color or object with the background color?

I created a file about those steps and saved it on my hard drive but I can't seem to find that file.

I Googled it as well but I didn't not find the 3-4 simple steps involved - most of the posts and videos were very involved.

Would anyone recall the 3 steps or so to replace an object or foreground color with just a selected background color?

I've done it with Heal Select but that feature doesn't seem to appear anymore in my GIMP 2.8.2 under Enhance like it used to.

I had downloaded and installed the Synthesizer plug-in an it worked twice but now it does not appear in the drop down menu under Enhance.

If anyone prefers using Heal Select and can please share how I can revive it I’d very much appreciate your insights.

Thanks so very much for help.

2. rich2005

rich2005 New Member

You posted the same on GC about a week ago, not much response because nothing in standard Gimp tools really matches the description.

Some options.
    Using a paint tool you can always select the foreground color (FG) by holding the ctrl key and clicking.
    The FG and background (BG) can be swapped with the icon on the tools dock or the x key
    Any selection can be filled straight away with BG using the shortcut ctrl. (control-period)

As with everything Gimp it depends on the complexity of your image.
    There are gimp color replacement tools
    Colors -> Map -> Color Exchange. Can work, often does not
    Colors -> Map -> Rotate Colors, Can work, not easy to use.

Resynthesizer and heal selection. Heal selection is not really a tool for replacing colors.

Because some Windows users have trouble finding a suitable version of resynthesizer and the associated python plugins I zipped them and they are on my mediafire account.

Download http://www.mediafire.com/download/gwc928wmwti30g3/resynth_win_32_64.zip

Unzip that. You need the appropriate 32 or 64 bit files. resynthesizer.exe and resynthesizer-gui.exe plus the python file plugin-heal-selection.py

The 3 files go in your Gimp profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins.

As a recommendation, I think the Gmic plugin filter, Select-replace-color is probably the best of a mediocre bunch.
    You can get a Windows installer (choose 32 or 64 bit depending on your computer)
    http://gmic.eu/gimp.shtml choose the "exe" installer rather than the zip file.

And a quick, 4 minute demo of all the above