1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serenity Sky...not finished yet, but tell me what you think ;-)

Discussion in 'Photography' started by LovethatLucy1, May 8, 2015.

?

Should I have a contest to see who can do the best rendering of her?

1. Yes, have the contest and the winner receives a pencil portrait

100.0%
  2. No, don't bother.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What contest would you do? Write your idea in the comments ......

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

So this is from a drawing I did back in 1997.....yeah eons ago! Lol

I have always loved this drawing because it has special[​IMG] meaning to me. I was going through a rough patch in my life and coming out the other side. I depicted as best I could a peace and deep serenity with herself and life in her eyes. It was something I was starting to feel and wanted/intended to keep.
    I didn't have my normal art supplies[​IMG] when I drew her. I had only computer paper and my fingers to do any blending and smudging...I use Bristol paper now and my pencil portrait skills have drastically improved since then.

Please feel free to check[​IMG] out my pencil portrait video/tutorials on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/LovethatLucy1 There you'll find my artwork from the last (approx.) 8 years. Plus one I did showing my art through the last 15+ years.
    Anyway, I was messing around last night and showing a friend how to render a pic and place it on another one. I randomly picked this backdrop and loved how it looked so I proceeded[​IMG] to spend the next few hours playing around .

Keep in mind she's not finished yet. I do want to keep the fact that she is a drawing and not try to make her look realistic, so to speak.

I am thinking of offering her as a maybe a contest to to others to take her and place her in a photo and maybe make her look more realistic. I'm curious to see what others would do with her. Maybe I'll make it where whoever I like the best I will do a pencil portrait of them or what subject[​IMG] they would like. What are your thoughts on that?

(I'm including the before /original pic of the portrait so you can see what I've done to her so far. Softened up her features....jawline, nose, etc. )

Serenity Sky.jpg Serenity.jpg

2. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I don' t know what it is but for some reason you always work with horrible image quality. It almost looks like you scaled it down and then back up again which won' t work.

Can I see the original images you were working with?

I like this a little better than the other ones you' ve been posting recently. Good warm-cold contrast and it just looks cleaner without the borders and the text:)

About the poll: Since there really aren' t very many members on this forum currently, contests just don' t make much sense.
    Will you be adding portrait drawings to you Facebook too?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  3. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Yes, I will be adding these portraits to my Facebook. The reason why I have added borders is to enhance my drawings.....as if they're framed. I don't have to do that . I could just post them as is. But I am a perfectionist.

I'm going to be blunt with what I have to say next. Seeing as being blunt is something I'm coming to grips with that you are comfortable being.

I found what you have to say ...I don't know how to put it except hurtful and offensive.
    In this critique and the one of "Danielle's portrait" and of others. I have tried to be accepting. I have tried to be nice and polite in my responses.
    But it's getting difficult to remain so.

This is my response to your critique of Danielle's portrait ....
    It's a little girl ....her head IS small. But in fact I always thought she had a big head for a little girl.
    But I drew EXACTLY what was in the picture provided to me. And I included the original photo as reference, something I have tried to do with almost every pic I've posted. So that answers one of your questions.
    I measured her head, I used a graph to make sure I got the exact measurement of her head, eyes, mouth, forehead, height and width of head. The whole nine yards.

Do you draw? What do you draw? How long have you been drawing?
    Me? Since I was 6 years old. I'm 42 . Do the math.

Me working and learning gimp is a way of enhancing my already vast skill set in art.
    I draw, I paint ( portraits, murals, customized furniture...even down to the pieces that I embed in the drawer handles that I make by hand), I repair furniture ( sand, stain, sew, clean, replace parts that I sometimes have to make) , I build models to scale, I make videos, I do photography (to some extent), I write poetry, I write fiction.I burn and etch wood. I stage parties. And with every piece I do my research. If I don't' know how to do it, I search until I find a way to do it. I'm determined with a good amount of stubborn, patient persistence. I'd say I've got some skills.

This is what I have to say about your critiquing......

You know I'm not sure if you're trying to rip apart my artwork and then build me back up to find out how strong my backbone is or whether or not I have one.

In almost every pic that I have posted you have proceeded to be somewhat offensive in your critiquing. Then you follow it up with a compliment , as if that is going to soften the blow. Well, it's not working.

This Serenity picture I drew back in 1997.....17 years ago.
    Since then I have worked hard and steadily at improving my art skills. And I believe I have improved dramatically....short of drawing it out with a crayon, lol.
    I get complimented all the time on my work. I posted this (Serenity Sky) on Deviantart earlier and received a very nice welcome to it.

Yes, there is some scaling down and then building back up.That is often required. No I haven't quite mastered the skill of making my images crystal and pristine ... I am still learning. I'm just barely getting comfortable in using the text boxes.
    But to call my image quality "horrible" on every one I've posted.....Wow!

I'm sure when you started doing ANY of your digital art it wasn't the greatest. Maybe you'd be willing to post some of your earlier works (?) like I am being so brave as to do.

I am putting myself out there, so to speak. but not to be discouraged and dismayed by comments such as yours. I've got thick skin, but that doesn't stop things from getting in. And when "pushed" I will only take so much before I push back. And if you haven't gathered so far....that's what I am doing here.

It's important to keep in mind that when I am posting my artwork that these are portraits that were previously drawn.

I am only posting these as an example of how I am progressing in just the 3 weeks that I have been steadily using GIMP. And considering the fact that I am only 3 weeks in and I have mastered what most beginners would still be scratching their damn heads about I think I am doing pretty good.

To "tear into someone's artwork and tear them down only to build them back up" approach really isn't the way to go about having what you have to say be well received, nor appreciated.
    It's the old adage or saying " If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I understand that you have been at this longer, and in many ways I can respect that.
    But please, be a bit nicer in how you put things. Others you have critiqued in the past may well have given up due to what you have said.
    I'm hoping you are not responsible for that, but others may not have as tough a skin as I do.
    I encourage you to take ownership of your actions in this area for the sake of other beginners who may come behind me.

I went on your Deviantart page and I found that there was a group that I believe you are a moderator for....and even though it is 4 years old I found it ironic in what you might have said about what the group was supposed to be about and what the group rules were. I think you need to read them again.....I'm talking about the "My Traditional Art" gallery/group.

"I welcome every traditional artist, near or far, to join this group.
    Trust that your talent will be well appreciated.[​IMG]..................

GROUP RULES:
    [​IMG] No fighting [​IMG] be nice ya'll
    [​IMG] No discrimination.
    [​IMG] Appreciate others artworks.
    A comment and a fave would be nice, too [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Contribute [​IMG]
    We would love to see your works."

It seems as if those rules don't apply here. Why is that?

I have plenty more to say .....but I think I have made my point, my stand, pretty clear.

In closing, after what I've let off my chest, let me assure you that I hold no ill feelings in response to your critiques/opinions.
    Every one has an opinion and they are welcome to it. I am a forgiving person and have already done so. I am just wishing to offer some advice when approaching others about their gifts and talents.
    And this I say because when approaching we passionate artist types, it is best to offer not your "soapbox" but instead guidance softened by encouragement.

It would be a shame that an artist lay down his or hers hearts desire because of hurt feelings due to a brash or unfiltered comment.

My thanks to you for listening. And I do appreciate you providing me the link for fonts btw.

4. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    No reason to be offended, sorry if I came across a little harsh. I' m trying not to be! And never wanted to put myself over you.

A couple things: