1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

searching for help in gimp

Discussion in 'Help with the forum and suggestions' started by huberthickey, Oct 5, 2011.

1. huberthickey

huberthickey New Member

In attempting to use Gimp, starting out with Gimp 2.4, the greatest problem I have had is with the help -- user manual. Either I am deaf, dumb, and blind, or I cannot find a way to search the User manual. Even the manual on the web is difficult to find stuff in. Secondly, the only Gimp User Manual I have found says that it is for Gimp 2.2!
    Now, here in Gimper.net I find symptoms of the same problem in a different guise. I wanted to search for posts that might help me, so I entered: "gimp help for 2.7.3" It said, 'the words, 'gimp', 'help', 'for', were ignored as being too short.'
    and gave me no answers at all. I tried several variations of this query and got basically the same answer. So I was unable to find whether any member had talked about the Gimp 2.7.3 help manual or anything like that. I then went back and put in a similar query using the + sign in front of each previously rejected word. I got the same response. So the + does not work (for me, at least).
    Thanks for any help!
    Hubert Hickey

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

First of all, Gimp 2.7.X is an unstable Gimp version, it's not meant to be used by the "average" user, but instead it rather shows off the things that the stable and final 2.8 version of Gimp will have. Gimp 2.6.X is the current open stable release.
    If you need general help on things like Alpha Channels, the different tools, paths, filters etc., the basic user manual of Gimp will help you out, even if it was written for older versions (2.2 or 2.4), because most of the things still work the same way. If you however want any specific information or tutorials, you are better off using Google search, Youtube search or directly posting here so that we're able to help you.
    For the forum search: "Gimp Help" is technically not a search request that will get you anywhere, because a) every single thing in this forum is about Gimp so "Gimp" is a useless term, and b) "Help" doesn't describe your problem and won't get you any information that will help you. You should rather try using specific words that match your question, like "path-tool selection", "user manual" or something similar.

For a good version of a Gimp user manual, try >This Link<. To search this site, just use "Ctrl + F" and type in your search term.

Arzo

3. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    There is a Gimp help manual but for 2.6.11. I think the 2.7 release is for users to test and find flaws from the new so that when the official release is finished, it will be great.