1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving undo history with XCF file?

Discussion in 'Help with the forum and suggestions' started by tronds_63, Aug 23, 2012.

1. tronds_63

tronds_63 New Member

Whats the point of using XCF files when the undo history isn't saved?
    I can save in Tiff format and get exactly the same amount of information back when I reopen the file.
    Anyway I loose the undo history. I thought the point of using XCF files was that ALL information INCLUDING undo history was saved with the file.
    The way it works now, I have to save under different file names each time I open the file and make some changes. If not, all possibillities of undo is lost.

Trond.

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Um... XCF saves layers, layer modes, transparency, hidden or invisible layers etc.
    Saving a complicated and complex project as an image file would severely limit your editing possibilities, whereas with the XCF, everything except for the undo history will be editable.
    If you wanna save it in another format, nobody will stop you ;) Maybe you can even program a new filetype based on XCF that saves history as well.

3. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

I think there is a script out there that saves a snap shot of the undo history.
    I believe Saulgoode wrote it.