1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing sky in Gimp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geartos, Jul 26, 2013.

1. geartos

geartos New Member

Could somebody PLEASE help with describing how to change the sky of a photo in Gimp - I have spent almost two months trying to figure it out, with no luck. I have searched the internet, and have tried every video on youtube that claims to show you how to do such a thing, but not one of those videos actually works. Could somebody please clearly explain, step by step, how to change a sky from an existing photo, and swapping it with the sky from, say, a downloaded photo? I would greatly appreciate your help..

Many thanks..

Geartos

2. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

It depends on the sky color and foreground color. Can you attach an example image of the sky you want removed?

3. geartos

geartos New Member

I just tried uploading the photo but it won't do it due to it's size

4. suni40

suni40 New Member

how to do such a thing, but not one of those videos actually works. Could somebody please clearly explain, step by step, how to change a sky from an existing photo, and swapping it with the sky from, say, a downloaded photo? I would greatly appreciate your help..

5. Akros

Akros New Member

In this video you can see in step by step all that process -

6. gimpeRaven

gimpeRaven Member

a college student, a Gimper and a gamer
    Home Page:
    :wilber:It is possible to show the part of the image you want to put to the original one. There should be two layers: the original picture and the sky image. Right click the layer then add a layer mask to the original, sky picture or both. Painting on the layer masks with black/white makes the part transparent (hidden) or shown. Use the paths tool :path: to create nodes and make a selection and help fill the layer mask with the shape of the part to be modified. For a clear outcome of opacity, use varying sizes of brush :paintbrush: with soft or sharp edges to the layer mask. Take note that it matters which layer is on top and bottom.:)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014