1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Backgrouds

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by artiman, Dec 12, 2013.

1. artiman

artiman New Member

I recently updated Mavericks to my mac and I lost my old photoshop. I have now replaced it with Gimp. I have worked out how to use most of the moves that I need to use but can anyone please tell me how to remove backgrounds. If for instance I wanted to transfer a logo to another document, how do I delete the white background that the logo is on. The colour selector does no remove the white. With photoshop the background was selected using the magic wand then by pressing delete it was gone leaving the image sitting on the chequered non background. Surely there must be a way of doing the same thing in Gimp.?

2. gunoldb

gunoldb New Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    You can do it just the same way in gimp, as far as yout picture has an alpha channel.
    To make an alpha channel there a different ways:
    1.) color -> color to alpha
    or
    2.) Right click on the layer; choose "Add alpha channel"

3. artiman

artiman New Member

Thank you gunoldb for your prompt and excellent advice. It's so simple when you know how.
    Thanks again

Artiman

4. Aliraza125

Aliraza125 New Member

Howdy,
    I appreciate the advice.
    yes, the instructions simply said to move the gimp.app to the Applications folder.
    I ran the old periodic weekly command and the find & locate gimp commands worked for a bit; now no joy.
    I'll try the cd to contents thing, but I'm a bit lost as to why the find, locate and what is commands are not working.