1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove dashes around.. everything.

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by Spacecraft, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Spacecraft

Spacecraft New Member

I am very new to GIMP and have been using Photoshop since version 4 (not CS4.) I like GIMP so far, and I think I can get used to using it full time if I can get a couple of annoying problems sorted first.

My first problem is this annoying dashed border around EVERYTHING. It's not the selection "dancing ants", I know how to remove those (and I keep hitting ctrl+d, doh!)
    It's this stuff: (The light yellow line)
    [​IMG]

I can't for the life of me find anywhere in settings to get rid of it. It acts like a selection border when I move the layer, but then I can't edit outside of it.

The second big thing is the shortcuts. I've heard there are plugins to change the GIMP shortcuts to that of Photoshop but I cannot find it. Only stuff I'm finding is on the transformation package Gimpshop, which I guess is dead?

I know these are both probably simple things and I'm just being a total and utter noob, so please go easy on me.

2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

As far as I know, you can't ;)

That's the case because it shows the borders of the layer, not the border of the selection. Idk whether the layers on PS are infinitely big but the layer-borders in GIMP are displayed by this yellow line.

You don't need plugins for that, just go to (I assume you're using 2.6.X) "Edit > Shortcuts" and change the ones you need.
    Yeah Gimpshop died some years ago... if you miss single window mode then you can change to GIMP 2.7 though (unstable version of the 2.8 update)
    I hope I did ;D

3. Spacecraft

Spacecraft New Member

Yeah I do believe in photoshop they are infinite. So is there a way to lock the layer border or something? I cannot think of a reason why you'd ever need to move the layer border honestly. Moving objects on the layer should always be sufficient.

Thanks for all the help.

4. Arzoroc

Well, in Gimp the objects ON the layers can't be moved, but the layer ITSELF is moved instead and the object is moving with it.

So you can't lock a layer to it's postition (at least in no way that I'm aware of, and I'd like to have that option aswell), because that would make the thing on the layer immovable aswell.

BTW: This is one of the moments where I hate to have to speak another language. I hope I'm not confusing you right now ;)

5. Maffe811

Maffe811 The forum pet Staff Member

[​IMG]
    No yellow layer-boundry-ants!

But i dont see the problem with the layers....

6. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    Unlike PS Gimp has layer edges or boundaries, you can not edit outside of these boundaries unless you make the layer's boundary bigger. It's not like PS where if you add a dot to a blank layer the layers temporary border is only around the dot. That's why it's better to leave the dashes on because then you know where the edges of the layer are, but you can turn them off as Maffe showed you.

7. Maffe811

PS can do what now 8O :p
    I havent really thought about that...
    So i have to pay hundreds of dollars for unlimited layer size ? :| Lol....

8. Arzoroc

Dude Maffe I never knew that ...
    You got me there, my young Padawan ... :wilber:

9. Spacecraft

Spacecraft New Member

No you were perfectly clear. :) The only way I can see to "lock" the layer so I don't accidentally move it is by toggling it's visibility.. There must be some way to lock the layer and keep it visible!

Anyways I am just so used to how PS manages layer boundaries, but when I think about it really doesn't matter all that much. I don't need to move the layer to create new content, I'll just create a new layer. (or I can just resize, or "layer to image size") :p

Gosh it's weird the habits I picked up in photoshop that I felt were essential but were practically useless lol.

Anyways thank you all a bunch. You are all very helpful here. :D

10. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    That's what we're here for, Welcome to the world of Gimp btw! :)

11. Maffe811

I was turning of the guides to see my final image, when i accedentaly turned off the layer boundry ants :p
    So if i hadnt failed i would be like, "Thaz no pozzible" :p

It seems like the tutor has become the the tutee... or whatever you call some one thats getting tutored.... :p

12. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

The world of Gimp rules!