1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please give me your vote .......

Discussion in 'Signatures and Small Art' started by LovethatLucy1, Apr 28, 2015.

1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

I finally mastered (well maybe more like became mediocre at best, lol) the art of layering in Gimp. It took me hours to finally get it and then I was "whoop whoop-ing" so loud I scared the dog, lol.

Anyway, I made 2 versions of what I will be using as my cover photo for a new fb page that's about all my different artistic works and services I offer.

The eagle itself I was commissioned to paint. It's an aluminum cast wall plaque that is a family heirloom to the owners.

Please if you wouldn't mind casting your vote on which flag background is your favorite.
    My neck, back and sore shoulders from being hunched over the computer will thank you very much for it, lol.

Eagle 2-FINAL Scaled down with 2nd flag, new head, eye beak.jpg
    Eagle 3-FINAL Scaled down with Flag,  new head, eye & beak.jpg

Let me tell you figuring out the Alpha Channels and still having to use the Free Select Tool to cut around every edge of the Eagle was exhausting. Oh and btw, does anyone know or can help me figure out why my eraser won't work? ........When I select Alpha Channel and Fuzzy Select, I've been told to use the eraser as well, but it doesn't work. Anyone know why?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Sydney

Sydney New Member

I like the second one quite a bit! The fireworks in the first one are somewhat distracting away from your painting, whereas the eagle has more of the (rightful) focus in the second.

Not sure about the eraser...usually I would use the Paths tool for cutting out objects. There's a learning curve involved, but once you get the hang of it, it's easier to save progress and make adjustments with Paths.

3. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi Sydney,
    Thank you so much for giving me your opinion. It's really helpful and much appreciated. You are the second person to suggest learning about the Paths. I'm going to have to give it a go. I'm lucky to have finally figured out the Layers so far, lol. I finally gave up trying to do it on my own and went to trusty 'ol YouTube, lol. Guess I will go there for learning the Paths, too. Look in the photography forum for my newest that I did last night. I'm basically conquering about 1-2 pics a night. Not bad if I say so myself, lol.

Take good care and God bless!

4. Seloquin

Seloquin New Member

the arrows and berries make me think, hunting and gathering, the eagle makes me think preditor, but the shield confuses me, whats the airloom about?

I agree with Sydney, the first one the fireworks are distracting, perhaps were the flag partly see through and the fireworks part of a live fireworks display in the background then that would look better i think.

the second one, to me emboldens the eagle as the background isnt as bright and appears a little blur so the eagle being in full focus shows sharp and clear.

totally agree, if your going to be doing alot of photo editing such as cutting out the background, use paths, as the free select tool is best for rough cuts, other select tools are available with limited control over what is selected. also i think once you've mastered paths learn to use layer masks as they will allow you to add more effects to your photo's.

regards,

hmm, alot of users have difficulty understanding selections, layers, masks, and other tools, might be worth creating a beginners tutorial.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  5. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi Sydney,
    Thank you so much for your very detailed input. I love it and love how you really put thought into it. That kind of critiquing is what I look forward to when I've created something and put it out there.

My family is nowhere near understanding not only the work that goes into putting together a piece but also as to how to give feedback. I was just having that very conversation with my hubby about this last night. I was saying to him that it's like "Come on people! React! Tell me what you think and not just a quick "cool" or "cute". I would love a little pat on the back here once in a while, too, ya know."

I'm starting to learn about the Paths tool.....there's quite a learning curve to it and much to get down. But I've been looking at YouTube tutorials and they are helping. First I had to learn the layers tool. That took me about 3 days to finally get the real hang of it. I have a feeling the Paths will take me longer but benefit me more in the long run.

I'm partial to the fireworks one, probably because I didn't realize when I picked it and placed the eagle on it there would be a firework right by his head. But I think you're right that the other flag isn't so attention grabbing that it takes away from the eagle and the hard work I put into hand painting it. It took me a month to complete.

It's a family heirloom because my customer's father in law worked in the foundry for many years and shortly before he passed away he finished making the aluminum cast plaque of the eagle. It's a very precious and valuable thing to them and a piece that will be passed down from one generation to the next. Their kids have already playfully argued about who gets dibs on it and that was before it was painted. You can bet now they're wanting it even more. For many years the wife had said she wanted it painted but they didn't know of anyone who could do a good job on it. I also work on repairing and custom painting furniture . I had made out of a beat up set of vintage dressers a 9 piece custom painted Poker themed bedroom suite. The eagle customer happened to see the suite on the one of the websites I post items for sale and he contacted me to commission me to paint it as a gift to his wife for their anniversary.

I'm going to include pics here of what the eagle looked like before painting it and also gonna throw in the bedroom suite pics so you can see what I do. I ended up spending 4 months working on this and sold it for $600. And gained another customer through it , so not bad right?

Thanks again for your input and my apologies for the long reply. I always write everything I think, lol.

Take good care and God bless!
    ~Carol Sue

Eagle-Before Painting-Full Shot.jpg 9 Piece Poker Themed Bedroom Suite-Full Shot.jpg 00f0f_8Vf5vwLbwrs_600x450.jpeg 00F0F_eeDTLldoOby_600x450.jpeg 00M0M_6DFelzFAtGy_600x450.jpeg 00T0T_d1pYyiKxUTg_600x450.jpeg 00T0T_deejqXczymD_600x450.jpeg 00u0u_idvmE2gBmxV_600x450.jpeg 01010_b84Pi5N5toQ_600x450.jpeg 2013120703211700.jpg

6. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

I am soooo sorry and very embarrassed that I accidentally called you Sydney. Forgive me?

7. Seloquin

Seloquin New Member

hello Lucy1,

haha no worries about the name, accidents happen you can however edit mistakes made on here, there should be a small 'Edit' link below the post, useful for the future. regarding feedback, im not on here much and others are on here less so with that in mind don't get disheartened over waiting periods between comments. if feedback is important to you and you find it really helps you perfect your work, by all means post your work on other forums and not limit yourself to just one, as there are other gimp users out there that maybe don't log into gimper.net. and could have more or better advice.

i like the work you've done on the furniture but for me its too dark, i like best the lamps. there's definitely a big difference on the before/after eagle, you've done a good job painting it very neat work.

when i first used paths i just used it for selections and thats mostly what i use it for now, you can also Stroke from path; which basically means draw a perfect line along the line of the path with the current foreground colour; this can be further broken down into two ways indicated by the dialogue box that appears, by this i mean you can EITHER stroke line OR stroke with paint tool.

about stroking line; okay so with the stroke line, you can either stroke a solid colour (being the current forground colour) or stroke with pattern.

stroking with pattern will stroke the line using the active pattern selected under the pattern tab, for me the tab is in the bottom right window next to Brushes and Gradients, if you cant find it you can open it up with the little expander triangle next to the tabs, then select tabs > add tab > patterns. personally i never use Stroke Line > w/ pattern but its there as an option.

below that you have line thickness, from there you have a number of options from pixels to feet.

under the style tab you have Cap style, which basically refers to end points, say for example your path that you had created isnt enclosed; by that i mean the head isnt connected to the tail, the cap style will effect how tips appear;

default is a flat end that is flat against the path's end point making the end look like one half of a square.

rounded tip rounds out the end what i mostly use.

square tip is like the default except it extends beyond the tip of the path i think by half the line size. so line size being 6 pixels it will extend by 3 pixels.

Join Style this basically effects the link points which are called nodes but i just call them dots, you wont see their effect unless you have sharp enough angles.

so if you had 3 nodes that made an L shape, the node in the middle is a node that joins to two other nodes, the Join style would be used on this node where the two lines meet. you can give the join a sharp edge, a rounded edge or a bevel edge, this is usefull when stroking curvey lines helping you to get the look you want (smooth/rough)

Mitre limit will change the sharp edge to a bevel edge depending on the value in the box, i think it refers to overlap regarding angles, personally i never use it.

below that is the dash pattern, with this you can stroke your line as a dash instead of a solid line, there are loads of presets with the option to create your own available by click-dragging in the Dash Pattern box with the results shown under the 'Custom' preset which when selected will use your custom dash when stroking the line.

Lastly under the Stroke Line options is stroke with paintbrush, okay so what this does is allows you to stroke a line, using the selected tool, doesnt have to be the paint tool can be any of the tools in the drop-down box, like the ink tool.

i wont go into too much detail in this as there are alot of tools, but it uses all the selected tools options, sadly not all the dynamics work as you would expect, like track direction, velocity tapering, dont tend to have an effect on the stroke, something to keep in mind. select the tool on the left side and play with the options to get a result you want, then use 'stroke with a paint tool', select the tool you want to use and stroke; keep in mind it uses size from the tool options.

Creating a path;

how i create paths is by dot to dot, by this i dont mean i will create loads of nodes around the curve like you would have to with the free select tool, what i mean is i would create a node at one side of a curve, create another at the other side, then holding Ctl, i would click in the center of the line to create a new node in the middle with it's anchor points extended, then click-drag the the new node into place.

if the curve wasnt correct i would, hold shift and click on the anchor to move both anchors around together to get the curve i want, or Ctl+click between the nodes to add a new node which i would then move into place, if an old node looked out of place i would most likely delete it by holding Ctl+Shift and clicking the node would remove it from the path. then use Ctl+click to replace it with a new node. thats how i work with the path tool, dot to dot, adding nodes, moving them, playing with the anchor, adding new nodes where needed.

so mostly i use single clicks to create nodes without dragging their anchor points.

Ctl+clicking on the lines to add new nodes.

click-hold-drag to move the node into place.

Shift+click-drag to manipulate the anchors of that node into place.

Ctl+Shift+click to delete nodes.

if you delete a node that is connected to two other nodes, the connection remains, only the node and the anchors are removed so the line will be effected.

if you delete the line by mistake, you can relink the line by selecting one node, and Ctl+click the node you wish to link it with.

NOTE; you cannot link one node to more than two other nodes.

the above is also how you enclose a path, connect the head to the tail.

last shortcut key i might use is Alt-click-drag; this allows you to move all of the path that is connected to the line/node you are click-dragging.

once you've created a path your happy with, you can always find it under the paths tab, in the top-right, again if it isnt there you can open it up by clicking the expander triangle to the right of the tabs > add tab > paths.

from the paths tab you can rename your paths(right-click > edit attributes), very helpful when you have alot and good practice anyway.

right-click brings up a list of options, i wont go into detail on them all, the main ones i use are duplicate, stroke, selections and when needed delete.

double-left-clicking a path will switch to the path tool and display the path for editing.

okay finally, Path to selection > this will create a selection from the path you are using, ideally you want to create enclosed paths and not open ones, so make sure the head and the tail are linked. if not, gimp will create a selection anyway but it might not appear how you want it depending on how your path looks.

well i think i've explained the overall how i make/use paths, there are other things you can do with paths, regarding selections and putting them into other projects, merging them ect. but most of the time you wont be using them other options. one last note, when you created a path, and wish to start a new path, select another tool and then reselect the path tool, so that the next path you create is saved under a different path in the path's tab, usually i just use the short-cut keys M to switch to moveTool and then B to switch back to the path tool. again i havent covered everything, i can think of a few things off top of my head, however if you have questions feel free to ask ill do my best when im next logged in.

regards.

8. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

My goodness! Thank you for the massive amount of help. That had to have taken you quite a while to write it out so I truly am extremely grateful. I'm really astounded that you took such great care and patience to explain it in so much detail. WOW! I'll have to come back to it and read it several times while having a practice image opened up. Hopefully I can absorb it all, lol.

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments.:D
    The pics of the furniture probably come out a bit darker than what they really are, although they are painted with a high gloss black, deep red, and white paint. It took me 4 months to finish painting everything and adding all the details. I painted each face card, dice, poker chip .....EVERYTHING by hand. And even made the little poker chips and dice that you see embedded in the drawer handles. I made the drawer handles using a clear plastic resin and silicone baking trays.They took forever to make and to solidify. I sat there for hours making sure each li'l darn chip and dice was facing in the right direction that I wanted them to be.

And no worries, I'm in no way discouraged by the feedback that I receive, in fact I receive it pretty quickly. And I love the feedback that I get so I'm happy;)

In fact, I haven't even been on here for a few days. Been working on my FB business page and also creating a google+ business page. If you want to take a look at what I do/have done just go to: www.facebook.com/Cre8iveCre8ions

I'm still working on adding tons of stuff.... I want to upload to each page videos of my pencil portraits. But I'm having a bit of an issue though accessing my old YouTube account pencil portrait videos. I need to download them because..... I got a new computer and though my wonderful husband backed it up and put everything on an external hard drive, he didn't label anything. Lord help me if I know where the videos are that I created on the old laptop.

But if you want to check them out you can go to my channel: www.youtube.com/LovethatLucy1

Anyway, thank you again. You are truly a blessing to me.

Take good care and God bless you!:)

P.S. Here's also what I'm up to.....taking one of my older pencil portraits....long before I started improving ....and using Gimp to colorize it. The original picture I took of the portrait I did for some friends came out REALLY yellow....yuck! I haven't' finished it but here's what I've got. I decide to add bangs to her because I never like her hairline ....it looked like she had "helmet head" and that WAS her actual hairline....weirdo_O.
    It really doesn't matter if I do changes to her anyway because they're divorced now, so so what, right? lol:p

2133_1094999138992_9853_n.jpg DJ and Ginny with gradient, bevel and clothify frame.jpg

9. Seloquin

Seloquin New Member

LOL yeah quite a bit there, musta been the coffee, well if your going to explain something you might aswell do it properly and not dish out links A-Z entitled, 'read this'/'watch this' lol.

not that i think you should re-invent the wheel, but this isnt really a tutorial its more of a 'how i do it', which makes use of short keys and gets you to grips with creating paths without having to switch modes (design, edit, move) on the side with the mouse.

yeah i took a look at your art work on your facebook page, very good stuff im more of a digital art maker myself so i can't imagine any of what you made being easy to do, easy to loose time and get really into what you make, thats why we do what we do.

my only suggestion would be, apply the 'rule of thirds' when your cropping your images. gimp has guides in selection tools, the Eclipse and Rectangle as-well-as the Crop tool; under options there is a drop down box that contains 'No Guides' you can change this to 'Rule of thirds'. to me rule of thirds makes the image more interesting and draws the eye to a focul point.

regarding lost video files, you can search the hard drive by extention, by this what i mean is every file has what is called a file extention which identifies what type of file it is, whether it's an image file (.jpeg, .png), movie file (.avi, .mov, .mp4, .wmv), application, text file, MS word ect. taking a breif look at your you tube i would guess the file type is of '.wmv' windows media video, i think it stands for but could be wrong lol. anyways, i use windows 7 so i would open start menu > my computer > double click the hard drive that contained the files, in the top right i would type '.wmv' and press enter or click the magnifying glass. other operating systems will vary however a quick google search of how to find file types on your operating system will give you a step-by-step.

the only thing i see wrong with the hair is no volume, very flat to the skull, not even volume where the hair seperates down the center, makes the hair look heavy but then the hairs all curly so it doesnt look right, anyway im no expert lol.

regards.

10. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi again,
    Yes I know what you mean about no volume to her hair. I was trying to keep true to how her hair looked, aside from the bangs I added. The woman had no volume to her hair, lol. Truthfully when I initially did the drawing I was pretty generous in that department. I tried adding in more "anchoring of highlights", as it's called, to give the appearance of volume but with her it was a losing game. Can you tell I don't like her much? She broke my friends heart when she left him and their 2 girls.
    But anyways, aside from that....I'm going to definitely try your suggestion on how to search for the videos. After reading your message I was like
    "Now WHY didn't I think of that????" o_O:p:rolleyes:
    There are over 200+ backup files on the external hard drive and all are labeled "Backup File 1, Backup File 2, Backup File..........." yeah not too thrilled to have go searching through that mess. Love my hubby dearly for doing it, but really?????? LOL
    Thanks for the compliments on my artwork. I've been drawing since the age of 6. Started out with Archie comic Books drawing the characters....yeah I'm REALLY that old !!:eek: And I still have some of them....maybe they're worth something. Too bad I can't trade this vintage body over here in for some dinero, lol.
    But I love 2 Cre8 things...anything artistic or challenging to make I want to find out how to do it. Venturing into Gimp is just another aspect of my love of art and creating things. I'm using Gimp right now to frame all my artwork...I'll have to try the thirds thing you talked about.
    Sometimes I wish I had someone sitting here with me giving instructions as I try something new. I'm actually thinking of taking some computer graphic and design classes, but need to talk it over with the hubby

Anyway, talk with you soon! Oh and here's another 2 that I did tonight....just messing around.
    Te 1st is my sister and my nephew. The second one is my ex's daughter.
    Laura & Nicholas with signature, borders and bevels.jpg Chelsea's Smile-In Clouds with borders and signature.jpg