1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDF file open problems

Discussion in 'GIMP for Windows' started by jreed72, Jun 10, 2013.

1. jreed72

jreed72 New Member

Have a handful of people that use Gimp 2.8. On all but one user, you can right click on a pdf and choose "open with" and then "GNU image manipulation program"
    This works as it should. However, the other user, who just dloaded Gimp in last few days only has "Gimp2" as an option in the open with menu. Even drilling into program files and gimp folder, I can't find the "GNU..."
    When trying to use gimp2.exe to "open with" I just get windows error.
    All these computers are running XP SP3. Just trying to figure out what is different in this installation versus the others? I even tried uninstalling and installing this morning with no effect...
    Any thoughts?

2. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

Same Gimp installers? There are several versions around, two are good: source forge (official) and those from partha.com.

3. jreed72

jreed72 New Member

I can't speak to some of them as the end users usually instal them without my consultation. But what I do know is I used the same site (gimp.org) to dload on my computer and the one that is having troubles. Mine works fine, the other exhibits the above problem. Both of these computers are using version 2.8.4. I can definitely try a different installer, but I think something else may be going on here...

4. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

On the problem machine, if you start Gimp, and then use "File/Open" to open the PDF, does it work? Or is is as if you right click in the epxlorer?

5. jreed72

jreed72 New Member

Yes pdf's open fine from within gimp, just problems with right click.

6. ofnuts

ofnuts Member

So just redo the file associations by hand in the file explorer (Tools/Folder options -> File types)

7. jreed72

jreed72 New Member

Unforunately that is not a behaviour that I can implement. I do not want pdf's opening in Gimp all the time. 95% of the time adobe reader is fine, but occasionally staff want to use Gimp for some other options. The user on the affected computer knows that it works by opening through Gimp, but it can be inconvenient to have to "Browse" for the file. Hence, they use the right click "open with" option as a quicker solution. I know its a small thing, but when you know something has an option, its just annoying when it doen't work :)