oops

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by ditocoaf, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

well, I was happy to finally have found a way to edit images with layers without paying 700 dollars for photoshop. I was fiddling around with various things, getting used to the program (and also getting used to the whole X11 thing...), when it happened. I accidentally dragged the bottom-right corner of the main window too far to the left... and it disappeared below the bottom of my screen. I can't for the life of me figure out how to recover it. I even tossed both GIMP and X11 in the trash and emptied it, and re-installed them both, and for some reason the window still extended below the screen.

Since I can't access the tool options that way, and it's annoying to have to bring it into a separate window... I thought I'd ask for help here. Any tips?

Edit: I can't believe I mixed up left/right
  2. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

3. andreasw

andreasw Member

Grab a hold on the little arrow and drag that box away. :D
  4. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

you mean do this?

[​IMG]
  5. 18541016

18541016 Member

Grab onto an edge of the window and drag outwards. The icons at the top should have more room horizontally, taking up less room vertically. If you still don't have enough room to see the bottom edge, full screen the program and then adjust the size by dragging any of the edges.

Of course, I've never used a Mac. I'm hoping basic window resizing is not OS-specific =P
  6. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

actually, unfortunately, it is. In OS X, you resize windows by dragging the bottom-right corner. There's no border that you can grab. I moved the corner too far to the left, and the buttons suddenly pushed the corner below the screen.
  7. 18541016

18541016 Member

Ah, I'm glad I don't have a Mac then. I can see myself getting into this situation all too often.

What about fullscreening? Does the window fill the entire screen, allowing you to grab the resizing edge?
  8. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

In almost every program, pressing the green zoom button expands the screen to take up the entire screen except the dock and the menu bar... even if the screen has been dragged partially off. But for some reason, X11 does it differently:

[​IMG]

is there no way to completely set X11 and/or gimp, so that it's like they're brand new again?
  9. Auria

Auria Member

Once again this is X11's fault, I can hardly believe it would happen in a native program

i see you should contact the XQuartz guys and ask for help (they should especially fix the green (+) button so that it never places windows off-screen)

Also, try deleting directory [your home folder]/Library/Application Support/Gimp

In not so long, we should be able to get rid of X11 and things should start going smoother
  10. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

Thanks for the help, Auria; I'll try that.

EDIT:
    aha, deleting that folder did the trick.

I'm glad to hear that a non-X11 version is being worked on; having that extra step between the app and myself is quite annoying. It'd also be nice if the program could recognize command-key shortcuts; it feels really weird using control on a mac.
  11. Auria

Auria Member

sounds like you need to read the how-to on our webpage ;) it's possible to use command, it just needs a little tweaking around
  12. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

awesome. I'll check it out.
  13. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

oookay... so I followed the directions for fixing the command/control issue. but there's one annoying problem: I saved the .xmodmap file on my desktop. and I hate having things saved on my desktop. Of course this file is invisible, like the TextEdit warning said it would be.

So is there anything I can do about this? will this file always be there, invisible yet in the back of my mind, taunting me? I kind of have an OCD thing about unnecessary clutter on my new computer.
  14. Auria

Auria Member

Well tons of programs create invisble files on your computer... the best way to avoid them is to install no program on your computer :D

no, seriously, there's currently no way
  15. ditocoaf

ditocoaf New Member

dang. and it does no good saved on my desktop. Oh well, it probably won't mess with anything important.]]

well, thanks for all the help. I'll keep checking back for the native version and other cool updates.