New to the Gimpy World

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by totalphysiqueonline, Feb 17, 2009.

1. totalphysiqueonline

totalphysiqueonline New Member

Hi folks.

I just downloaded Gimp and need someone to talk to about why it will not run on my Tiger OS X 10.4.11 system

I supposedly have X11 installed on my system, and I downloaded the right version of Gimp (for tiger), yet when I launch it, it tells me that X11 is not installed.

Sooooo

If the Admins can place this topic in the proper forum I would be ever so appreciative.

Thank you!

TPO
  2. lisanet

lisanet Member

jsut some hints...

- follow the steps in this HOWTO: http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/guides/install_tiger
    - use a _Tiger_ Installation DVD for installing X11 (Panther will not work)
    - again, use the Tiger Installation DVD, not the X11 Update frim Apple (this will only work, if you have already installed X11 via the Installation DVD)
    - do a Software Update to get latest X11 (now you get the Apple X11 Update)
    - X11 has to be version 1.1.3 (any other version won't work on Tiger)
  3. totalphysiqueonline

Thank you for the great tip!! That fixed it. Apparently, X11 was not installed after all.

I have a few questions more, and I hope you won't mind me asking here. From this point forward however I will locate other forums to post in, so thanks for your indulgence.

1) When Gimp opens, I have a YELLOW cursor. I wish it to be black, or some other color. I looked in Preferences, but was not able to see where to make the change. Can this be changed?

2) I am use to Paintshop and PSD files that can be saved and re-edited later. Does Gimp have a PSD equivalent that saves layers that can be re-edited at a later date?

3) I created an Xmodmap file and saved it to my home directory, but Gimp still will not let me use my COmmand Key. I created the .Xmodmap file by copying and pasting in textEdit and saving it to my Home directory. The file is there. So, what else do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Gimp looks cool. I can't wait to learn how to use it.
  4. lisanet

lisanet Member

AFAIK this should be fixed in X11 1.1.3.
    I'll look for more information about this issue . There should be some configure option in "gimprc". Please see the file in "Application/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/etc/gimprc" and search for something like X cirsor or similar. The file is documented quite well. Just uncomment the predefined setting (X cursor ????) and restartg X11 and GIMP.

save the images (with layers) as .XCF

http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/guides/using_cmd/

that should do it. Don't forget to quit GIMP and quit X11. Then restart GIMP (this will launch X11 too)
  5. totalphysiqueonline

I tried to upload the attached screen shot so you can see my .Xmapmod

I had already followed the instructions you gave me regarding the creation of the file. So far, the changes just have not work. The command button just is inactive for Gimp. I guess I can live without that.

X11 did require an update via the Update Software option in Mac OX Tiger, so I did that,

Also, I was able to change the cursor to a Pointing Arrow at least, but it is still yellow. I saw not cursor color function in the file you mentioned.

So, still have some work to do. If you find anything out please let me know.
  6. totalphysiqueonline

PS: I discovered that I can edit my photoshop.psd files in Gimp and Gimp recognizes the layers I had saved in the psd files!!!! Is that my imagination, or is it true? If so, that means I have the perfect replacement of photoshop, which only had 12 days left on the trial.

PSPS: I can probably live without the Apple command button working, but I sure would like to have my cursor turn black or some other color.

I scanned the internet and this is apparently a big feature request by some folks, and so far I have not found a fix.
  7. lisanet

lisanet Member

hhhmm... but ut's there. This is the section. Just change it accordingly, menaing uncomment the line "(xor-color...)" That should do the trick.

Code:
    # Sets the color that is used for XOR drawing. This setting only exists as a
    # workaround for buggy display drivers. If lines on the canvas are not
    # correctly undrawn, try to set this to white.  The color is specified in the
    # form (color-rgb red green blue) with channel values as floats in the range
    # of 0.0 to 1.0.
    # 
    (xor-color (color-rgb 0.501961 1.000000 0.501961))

How did you create the ".Xmodmap"? With TextEdit.app?
    TextEdit.app automatically adds a ".txt" (not visible in Finder) extension and saves files in "rtf" (Rich Text Format). This file format is not compatible with any UNIOX-like configuration file. You need to open Terminal.app and then type
    Code:
    cd
    nano .Xmodmap

Then you can start editing the file. Save it with "CTRL + Q" and then press RETURN. To quit, press "CTRL + X"

yep, GIMP can read PSD. Did you expect anything else? ;)
    Anyway... you should use XCF, 'cause it's fuly supported by GIMP (XCF is GIMP's native file format). PSD isn't fully supported.
  8. lisanet

lisanet Member

... just forgot to mention...

Code:
    (xor-color (color-rgb 0.501961 1.000000 0.501961))
    ...that you can use any other color (in RGB values) too
  9. totalphysiqueonline

You have been so helpful. Thank you so much. Wow. You made my day!!!
  10. totalphysiqueonline

By the way, once I edit the gimprc file as you showed me, what do I do then? Will I find the cursor color setting in preferences?
  11. lisanet

lisanet Member

oh come on...

... unse the menu:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Image Windows -> Pointer Rendering -> Black & White

Do you see your cursor now?
  12. vapourmile

vapourmile New Member

@lisanet:

I just tuned in to find an answer to the same problem on my old Mac. Thanks to your deep knowledge of GIMP lisa! On other forums people cannot solve it! My only problem now is how to get permission on my Mac to alter the file! :)

Thanks!