1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native?

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by Jalaco, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Jalaco

Jalaco Member

The end of the world, the awesome, CANADA.
    So ya, I was wondering if there was a native Gimp app. for an intel mac. I want to run my tablet with pressure sensitivity. But its unsupported by X11, so I was wondering if there were any native Gimp app.'s I could try? Thanks!

\\^// Jalaco \\^//

2. Auria

Auria Member

See in the development scetion of this board, there is more information about native version.

In short, it's not really ready yet, and tablets aren't supported yet. but shouldn't be too hard to add (but neither to X11, just bug the XQuartz folks with it meanwhile ;) )

3. Jalaco

Jalaco Member

The end of the world, the awesome, CANADA.
    Ok, well thanks anyway. =]

\\^// Jalaco \\^//

4. Cocoa

Cocoa New Member

A little necroposting- But a native version worked with Seashore- It just lacked features.
    Perhaps we could try something similar? Working off the Seashore code, or a modification of it could help.

5. Auria

Auria Member

Cocoa: this sounds great on paper, but the amount of work it would actually take to make it work would be HUGE.

Lately, I submitted a few patches to the GTK-quartz authors to improve a few aspects in GIMP. Granted, my skills are not so great, but they didn't seem very interested in my contributions. Too bad.

GIMP 2.6 is now about to be out ( yes, i'm spoiling you news from the developer mailing list :p ) and unfortunately it seems like the native version won't be quite ready yet. :( There's still too many bugs in native GTK

6. mit3z

mit3z New Member

Aaaaaand here comes last step towards native version! Imendio guys, at last, announced fullblown complete framework! Hurray! :wilber: ;D
    http://www.gtk-osx.org/

7. andreasw

andreasw Member

Wait a minute? Doesn't that mean that we could pretty much build a native Gimp right now?

I feel a bit lost. ^-^

8. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    Unfortunately the framework is only for intel. I was excited until I read that it's intel only and the developer is not going to make it universal or compile a PPC specific version anytime soon. I've been using a version I've compiled through MacPorts in the meantime.

9. andreasw

andreasw Member

But a native Gimp could be compiled to intel macs, right? 8O

10. mit3z

mit3z New Member

Right :)
    for PPC, as along there are build instructions - you're free to build it for the platform you want, i guess imendio guys just has enough probs with one (intel) version and leaving other platforms to be handled by the community.
    Ayways i'm pretty much sure there're universal builds coming, don't underestimate the community, i guess you're not the only PPC owner around :)

11. andreasw

andreasw Member

Someone compile it, like now!!!!! :D :D

12. Auria

Auria Member

Woah, i'm the last person here to learn about it :eek:

Though i don't think i can make a GIMP release yet, he did say "What is missing still is support for creating standalone apps"

But there is hope on the horizon :)

13. andreasw

andreasw Member

Looks like we might have a native gimp by the release of 2.6

14. Auria

Auria Member

It will indeed probably be possible, but i don't think it will be stable enough for us to drop the X11 version, unfortunately

15. andreasw

andreasw Member

Maybe not, but it could be released as a beta, kinda like what OpenOffice is doing right now :)

16. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    The version I'm using compiled from Macports is stable enough for my own day to day use. I think it's a little underestimated. I haven't even fired up the X11 version in months now. Even if the version I'm using was released as an app bundle I would he happy with it much less any newer version. I look forward to an app bundled build even if it's not stable enough in someone's opinion. It could be released with a disclaimer.

17. Auria

Auria Member

Interesting to know it's stable enough for you. Inm y own use i met a few very annoying bugs (related to resizing windows mostly)

When GIMP 2.6 is out, and when i have my new leopard-intel computer, I will definitely make a package.

18. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    So I guess on Leopard PowerPC I have to stick to what I have compiled and there will never be a package for it? By the way here's a screenshot of the (native) build on macports running on my PowerPC Mac Mini in Leopard (with my own custom GTK theme):

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Auria

Auria Member

That will depend on whether someone makes a Leopard/PPC package for GTK+. I could perhaps make one. But I would rather do the hard work on my soon-to-be new machine, since my Leopard/PPC one is too slow
    Once new build instructions have been written, probably we'll take all packages that are contributed

20. smoke_tetsu

smoke_tetsu New Member

Home Page:
    Wait, on his blog he said:
    So for the framework at least it doesn't have to be specifically compiled for Leopard it seems like is currently done with The GIMP. I don't know if that applies to applications compiled under it but there you go. It's architecture that is the stumbling block.