My Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ajit, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Of course this is only a small part of it. And while this is definitely near the very beginning, i believe im also going to have a prologue and possibly even more before this. Enjoy! ;D

The sound of quick footsteps struck the stone ground as they passed by. Seconds later the same dark figure dashed through a dimly lit hall that led to yet another courtyard. This dark figure was running away. It was black all around, with only an occasional torch lit. Not even the moon shone through thanks to the thick clouds. The dark figure, better known by his name, Tash, looked up ahead at the sound of talking. He dove for cover behind a thick bush in order to not be seen. The women's voices got closer as they headed down the same path that Tash had been running, but in the opposite direction. Two voices. Both voices talked quietly, but as if they wanted to speak louder, as if excited. Tash didn't catch much any of the conversation between the two women. His heart alone probably could have given him away, for it was beating so loud. The two of them reached the same bush that Tash hid behind. They slowed down. They stopped talking. Tash became sick and squinted his eyes. He held his breath as a last resort. All of the sudden a new pair of footsteps came from where the two women had been walking. A large lady walked at a quick pace towards the other two. “Thanks for waiting for me,” she giggled. The three of them continued on at a stern pace towards where Tash had come. All was clear, yet Tash didn't move. He was tired from earlier in the day when he had to practice mounting horses for hours on end. Now here he sat on this wet and soft grass, leaning against the thick bush which had just saved him from certain doom. Or would that have been “certain doom?” he thought to himself. After all, those ladies wouldn't have recognized him. No one who he saw outside of this palace's walls would recognize him. He had only seen a few people in his entire life. This was of course the normal for all princes his age. It was custom to not be seen by much of anyone until the prince comes of age. But, in the end, while he was thinking to himself, relaxing behind this lovely bush, he decided it was definitely better to have hidden behind this protection. For he wouldn't be recognized, and those people would have thought him a spy or something similar. That wouldn't have ended well.
    He started to get up, but his efforts were at first useless. He felt comfortable there. Nice and relaxing. Now it had been several minutes since the three women had gone by. As soon as his eyes started to slip into that tempting rest, he forced himself up. He gaze around left and right, as if confused on which way to go. He did this for two reasons. One, he was very tired and didn't feel like continuing on, and two, it was in the middle of the night and everything looks different at night. Seconds later he was on his way again (in the right direction of course).

2. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    hmm very well written. i like these lines the most.
    good. id like to read more :D

3. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    cool thanks ;D

4. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    one of my friends books got into scholastic, and it was pretty good. if u practice a bit with grammar and stuff, i bet you could write a pretty good book :D

5. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    thanks thats cool ;D

6. Maidoc

Maidoc Member

Home Page:
    Nice, I'd like to hear more!

I wrote a post-apocalyptic short story a few months ago for an English class, and the teacher loved it, but it's a little long. If you guys want, I'll post it.

7. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    sure. id like to read it :D short stories rock!!!

8. Maidoc

Maidoc Member

Home Page:
    Alright...I warned you it was kinda long...

Yuri pried open the sewer cover and surveyed his surroundings. What he saw was Red Square, but no one would recognize it any more. Most of the taller buildings, including the Kremlin, were now flowing glass pouring over their foundations, frozen in time. His geiger counter crackled and beeped as a gigantic metal spike slammed into the ground in front of him. He gasped under his gas mask and dropped under the lead manhole cover. He heard the gigantic spike-legs move off into the distance and popped his head back up from the manhole to pull up his backpack and rifle.
    Scanning the area once more, Yuri heaved himself out of the manhole, pulling his equipment and trusty bag of bolts up to his shoulders. He headed down a side street, searching for a store likely to have a gift for his girlfriend Natasha. Jewelry was out of the question, the radiation on most of the metals would turn your DNA inside out.
    At the end of an alley he came across an avenue packed with empty cars. The Kitai-Gorod lay across the other end of the square. Of course, Yuri couldn’t tell it was the Kitai-Gorod, as he’d never heard of it, and the signs on all the stores had long fallen off, more or less decaying in the bushes lining the building. He almost made the trek to the other end without a thought, when he noticed the beautiful and bright paint on the ancient cars. The glossy blacks and bright reds stood out in the orange radioactive haze. He scooped a handful of bolts out of his satchel and tossed them into the street. They crackled and fizzed, then caked over with rust instantaneously. “Damn” he swore to himself. Shortly afterwards his geiger counter started to crackle. Yuri stepped away, beginning a search for another route, believing the radiation to be coming from the mess of cars. In taking a moment to contemplate a way around the irradiated cars, he missed the first few thuds of an incoming strider. By the time he realized this, it was too late and the car nearest him exploded as it was impaled by a strider. He ducked just in time to dodge the flying shrapnel. The strider was gone in an instant, searching for hidden looters, but the danger wasn’t. Stalkers would soon follow the patrol.
    Yuri scrambled to his feet, slinging the rifle over his shoulder and running the same way he came. After a few twists and turns he stopped right in his tracks. A Stalker stood at the end of the alleyway. The bio-mechanical being was rounding up the bodies of his fellow Foragers, to be turned into more melds of flesh and alien metals. Yuri unslung his rifle and aimed down the scope, placing the faceless head in his sights. The smooth silver plates apparently bubbling up from burnt skin sickened him, as well as the sharp spikes of rusty metal, protruding like broken bones. His geiger counter sensed the stalker’s radiation and let out a series of loud clicks. The stalker dropped the dead Foragers and reared back, giving out a ear-splitting screech in recognition of the interloper. Yuri took his opportunity and placed a slug in its head. The stalker brought its head back to bear, missing a good half of its skull, charging at Yuri. He stepped off to the side, bringing the butt of his gun down on it’s jaw. The stalker lay in a crumpled heap, its misshapen head resting on the wall of the alley. As Yuri nudged it with his rifle, it leaped at his face, screeching. The reactive metals of the stalker’s claws almost nicked Yuri’s gas mask, but the stalker left itself overstretched, and with his gun in the perfect position, Yuri unloaded a burst of lead into its chest. The stalkers momentum left it clinging to Yuri lifelessly. He pushed it off of him with disgust and shot it a few more times for good measure. Yuri then leaned up against the wall, giving himself a moments rest from the constant danger.
    Finally, when the adrenaline rush had subsided Yuri reloaded his gun and looked for any tears in his clothing. His armor was relatively light compared to most other Forager’s armor, as it only consisted of a bulky <a href="<a href="http://www.cowhidesrugs.com/cowhides.html" target="_blank" title="cowhides leather">leather</a> jacket sprinkled with lead and stuffed with kevlar over some light shirts to keep the poisonous metal off, whereas others wore special ceramic plates pieced together over kevlar to form a somewhat insect-like shell . Yuri spied such armor on one of the dead Foragers, and so, he began his looting. It was just how life was for those who relied on the “Topside” for income. Yuri started with the obvious things: The gas mask, weapons, provisions, ammunition, and he bundled as much of the armor as possible into his backpack, which was almost full, when he noticed a lead cross laid with blue-green gems cut like diamonds hanging from the dead Forager’s neck. Perhaps they were diamonds that were effected by the years of harsh radiation.
    “Ah!” Yuri exclaimed, as he realized that this would be the perfect gift for Natasha. Tonight she would be mesmerized by the sparkling gems, and pseudo-thoughtfulness. In truth, they didn’t really love each other. Their little affair was just the result of years of being roommates, and needing an excuse to share more of their meager resources. Regardless, he unlinked the chain and dropped it in his jacket pocket. Natasha still deserved a little gift, anyhow, because she helped keep the country moving. She was a skilled mechanic; something rare.
    The ground shook beneath Yuri’s feet, rousing the looted Forager’s partner, whom Yuri thought was dead. Yuri dragged the corpse around the corner into a nearby alleyway and returned to find the Forager curled up in a ball as the pounding got more incessant. Yuri grabbed him by the arm and tried to pull him up, but they didn’t seem intent on cooperating.
    “Get up, idiot! What do you think you’re doing?”
    He didn’t reply. Yuri lifted him to his feet and pushed him down the alley, in the direction of Red Square.
    “Let’s go, let’s go!”
    The Strider’s footsteps were drawing ever closer and they had reached the end of the alley, and Yuri’s manhole was in sight, but the shellshocked man wouldn’t go.
    “What are you waiting for! GO!”
    Yuri pushed him yet again in the direction of the manhole and this time he kept going, when suddenly Yuri was blinded by light and all he could hear was his geiger counter fizzing angrily. The man was gone. The road had turned into molten glass where he was standing. At first Yuri just stood there in awe, when the Strider continued moving towards the other end of the square, and the earthquake-like footsteps brought him back to his senses. He could have cared more about his fellow Forager, but he was worried more about his own life. As soon as the strider had moved on, he dropped his heavy bolt satchel, pulled out his crowbar and made a mad dash for the manhole. He jumped over the molten river, across the open square, between some long dead shrubs in the central garden and to the other intersection. He hooked his crowbar in the edge of the cover, and slid it to the side. Dropping his backpack down before him, he climbed down. He sat there for a moment, just looking at the grimy wall of the manhole, catching his breath. He’d kiss the cross he just looted, but irradiated lead isn’t very tasty. He slowly reached up with his crowbar and slid the cover shut. He let himself have another moment of rest before descending the ladder to the Burrows.
    The sewers were no longer used for waste. There was a sub-sewer for that now, where mutants and outlaws of the new sub-society were put. The Burrows were cleaner, compared to how they were before, but they still had that dark grime that accompanies post-apocalyptic life.
    Yuri stepped into the security ‘airlock’. This was about as high tech as it got in his Burrow. A heavy gate sealed closed behind him and his brother Nikolai sat in the security office behind thick glass.
    “Ah, brother Yuri, you have returned! Have you brought back anything interesting?”
    “Some new armor. Not much else. Might fetch a pretty penny. Don’t know what the point is. No matter what we do, we’ll always be stuck down here, stealing from the dead. Until when, I ask you? There is no more to find?”
    Nikolai shrugged and punched a few buttons on his console and a blinding light passed over Yuri. He didn’t feel any cleaner, but he’d just been lightly scrubbed for radiation. He still had to leave his outer clothes and loot in his locker due to the secondary radiation on the lead, but he pocketed the cross, against the barely enforced “regulations”. Again Nikolai punched a few buttons, apparently at random, and the other end of the bulkhead opened up and Yuri stepped into a central ‘plaza’ that was once the meeting place of the many sewer lines which had long run dry. Now it was a marketplace, and the main square of a bustling, dirty town. Yuri slid into the crowd and made his way to the main pit, where sewage once ran. He opted for the ladder, rather than the stairs, which were always crowded. The aqueducts of the sewers were now lined with homes and stores, with giant power lines hanging overhead, powering flood lights and homes.
    The homes were arranged similarly to prison cells. They were all lined up, and attached to a central catwalk with a main set of metal stairs going up or down. Yuri climbed to the row second from the top, to the only house with a lambda symbol on the door. His job as Forager earned him no respect, not to say people disrespected him for it, but it wasn’t quite as great as he thought it would be. He opened the double doors to his small apartment, and was greeted by a warm, inviting 20 watt bulb and the loud bass of his upstairs neighbor’s incessant parties. “What was there to celebrate?” Yuri always thought. He also wondered why he always had to hear about it.
    “Natasha?!” He shouted over the pounding bass.
    “YURI?!” Natasha’s voice was nearly drowned out by the music.
    “Yes, I’m-”
    “Yuri! I can’t hear you! Can you do something about that racket?! The music isn’t even good!”
    Yuri was getting more and more frustrated. It seemed like every day that idiot was blaring his loud music, with full power obviously routed to his house while Yuri’s apartment got a Christmas bulb and an alarm clock. Everything always seemed stacked against him, as though everyone benefited from his work but him. Even if Yuri’s looting had nothing to do with how much power went where that’s what he told himself. He picked up a crowbar that was leaning against the wall and ascended the stairs to his neighbors door and tapped on it. The skinny pale man opened the door wearing blue goggles, letting all sorts of fumes escape from his home.
    “How...who….what can I do for you, my good pickle?”
    This man was obviously in another dimension.
    “ Turn down the music.”
 “No can do, Ma’am...we need to smell the airwaves right now…you know...you’re too uptight...you’ve got to let loose. The system has a death grip on you...just take a-”
    Yuri lifted the skinny man by the neck and threw him to the floor, making his way with motivation to the oversized stereo system.
    “Don’t ya worry. About a thing! ‘Cause every little thing is gonna be alright!”
 Yuri drove the crowbar home on the the large speakers and hooked the end into the tuner, whipping it to the wall. Everyone stared at him, exhaling all varieties of smoke in amazement.
    “I can’t believe you people! C’mon man, you’ve got to be kidding me, I mean, why spend a couple thousand rubles for a single spliff when you could fix everyone’s phones with that money?”
    Everyone just stared at him like he had 4 eyes and a spider’s body. To them he probably did. Yuri sighed and picked his skinny neighbor up by the shirt.
    “I had better not hear you again. Ever.”
    The man just stared at him.
    “EVER! You understand?”
    “Dude...you gotta chill out.”
    Yuri threw the little man to the ground and left. Natasha was waiting for him with a worried expression on her face.
    “Is everything alright? What happened?”
    Yuri shut the door behind him and tried to lead her away, but she still peaked through windows.
    “What did you do?!”
    “He fell. Too much weed. He’ll be fine.” Yuri said bluntly.
    Natasha just shook her head disappointedly and followed Yuri. Back home, Yuri nearly leapt into his favorite recliner, which he had looted out of an old furniture store many years ago. Natasha sat across from him at their kitchen/dining room/living room table and they both listened to an old radio.
    ‘I like to sing-a! About the moon-ah and the June-ah, and the spring-ahhh’
    Natasha changed the station.
    ‘Bandits continue to raid trade routes between New Moscow and New Petersburg, and the Hellions continue to advance deeper into New Novgorod as our brave forces engage them in guerilla warfare around the ci-’
    She again tuned the radio.
    ‘ The New Novgorod tram is out of commission after yet another Hellion attack’
    This time Natasha turned the radio completely off and sighed.
    “Oh I hope babushka is alright...I wonder if she’s made it out of Novgorod?”
    “The fighting probably isn’t as bad as it sounds, I’m sure she’s fine. Why not give her a call?” Yuri said.
    “We don’t have a phone any more Yuri…”
    “Oh...right. I had forgotten about that, what with the fact I risked my ass getting you this gift.”
    Natasha’s face lit up a little, assisting the dim bulb in illuminating the room. Yuri smiled and pulled the cross out of his pocket and placed it on the table. For a moment the power went out, but after a few seconds the lights returned, and now they were all on, not just the depressing 20 watt Christmas light. They didn’t even know they owned so many working lights.

9. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    NICE haven't read it yet but will eventually ;D

10. Maidoc

Maidoc Member

Home Page:
    Cool. I can't wait to hear more of yours :)

Is Tash a thief or assassin or something? Interesting story, but I can't tell what's going on yet, I just need to know more :p

11. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    Yes, i actually plan on making this an entire novel, so, I wouldn't expect you to understand a whole lot of anything yet :p

I'll eventually post some more, but if i really get going with a decent story, I probably won't continue to post my story ;D Especially if it has the slightest change of getting published (of course i doubt that though)

12. Siddharth

Siddharth Active Member

Home Page:
    hey dudes write short :eek:
    my eyes cant read that long on computer ;D

13. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    haha i barely made it. i agree with your teacher lol. very well written. may i suggest a site to all you writers out there? its called Helium. basically you post a things you wrote (in my case poetry) and you get money for it. if it gets rated well, you can win money. no catch.
    http://www.helium.com/
    and here is my page
    http://www.helium.com/users/411107

14. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    hey thanks i was about to start googling for a site to post writing

p.s. have you actually made any money and how much? (if you don't mind me asking)

15. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    um sure. oh gosh, this is going to be embarrassing. most of my writing is actually near the top (from #1-#20 on average). my post that made the most money is this one here......
    http://www.helium.com/items/973952-poet ... e-feelings
    It made 9 cents....... helium doesnt pay you much for posting poetry. i have 34 cents in total right now. :)()

If you decide to post something actually worth reading (not poetry) then you will make somewhere from 1$-30$ depending on what it was rated. if its #1 out of 10, you might get 5 bucks. it all depends on how many ratings, and how many entries. but you also need over 20 bucks to cash out. (get ur cash)

16. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    oic, lol thats nice though ;D

17. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    yeah it really is. i mainly post to get the word out. (and my name lol)

18. Maidoc

Maidoc Member

Home Page:
    The website looks pretty cool. I signed up, but I was wondering how you receive the money? Do you know? Check, Paypal?

19. lamaz1928

lamaz1928 Active Member

School.....*sigh*
    Home Page:
    yes they take paypal. thats what im using.

20. Ajit

Ajit Active Member

Student
    Home Page:
    @Maidoc

ok read your story and might i say! you have been doing this for a while haven' you? It was GREAT i loved it good job. I'm really impressed. :eek: :eek: ;D