1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My nephews, niece, daughter and grandson retouched

Discussion in 'Photography' started by LovethatLucy1, Apr 28, 2015.

?

Which scene setting of the kids do you like better?

1. Front yard scene

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Beach scene

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

So after seeing the group photo of the kids and learning that my li'l niece did NOT have a good day that day .... and it showed I gave myself the task of editing the photo so my Mom and Sis could have a photo worth framing.

I had to search my sisters fb photos for a good pic of my niece then worked on it for 2 days getting her face just right. Mind you, I had just started using GIMP again after almost 4 yrs. of not using it or editing a single photo. Man I was rusty!!

One of the big problems was the lighting. The reference photo of her face I was superimposing was in dark, grainy light. I had to match her skin warmth to that of the other kids.

The matching and blending of her skin tone caused me to have to, in a sense, re-create her hairstyle a bit. Using my pencil brush and color dropper tools, I penciled in more bangs, a new crown, and side strands of hair. Then carefully blending all the colors together with my smudge and blurring tools.

I had to re-create her entire mouth using my pencil tool and color dropper tool (picking from the colors in the original photo). And , going from her smile in the reference face pic I was superimposing, re-create everything....lips, teeth, gums, shadows. It wasn't that easy because the original photo was very fuzzy up close. Once the colors were in place I went smudge happy, lol.

Then I went to fixing her dress. I used my free select tool to get the bottom 1/2 of her dress, then copied and pasted it then using the scale feature dragged the pasted portion down. Then it was having to blend and match up the colors and lines of the dress. Again using the color dropper, pencil and paintbrush, with a little airbrush, too, and the some blending.

Then it was on to the other kids....
    Defining my older nephews jawline and smoothing out some teenage blemishes.
    Taming down my daughters fly aways in her hair, smoothing out her double chin (which poor thing she inherited but didn't get until she gained the baby weight). I even copied and pasted and blended in portions of her hair to bring her neckline in a bit more.
    And then my adorable li'l grandson .....he was scowling and looking off at something, lol. So I superimposed his head from another pic that was taken that day and blended and smudged his head into his chubby li'l neck. My youngest nephew didn't need much work, just a li'l smudging and I was done with him.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the family what they think.
    Soooooo... in the meantime I decided to put the kids into an entirely different setting. So I planted them on the beach.
    Funny story with the beach pic.......you wouldn't know that the original pic had a baby elephant from Thailand playing in the sand. With my magic GIMP tools I literally took out an elephant!
    I copied, pasted and blended in a new sky and treeline. Then added the kids in, softening the edges around their clothes and hair. And copying, pasting and blending in tufts of sand around their shoes.
    I then added in a bucket and shovel from a pic I found online and pasted in the sand in the bucket and, with some shading, made it look like it was spilling out after tipping over.

So let me know what you think.... I'm including the original photo, my nieces face reference pic, the after photo and the beach photo.

I look forward to what you say :-D

Take good care and God Bless!

Natalie 2.jpg All The Kids-Before editing.jpg All The Kids- Final Edit 3-Scaled down, Different Michael's Head.jpg All The Kids- Final Edit 2, On the Beach with bucket and shovel.jpg

2. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I would recomend not to blend in other heads and faces onto the photos, it just never really looks "right".

Pretty good job in the beach photo, the bucket/shovel blends in well!

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  3. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Thank you, Roma, for the feedback. I agree that it never really looks "right" when blending in other heads and faces onto the photos. But, in this instance, it called for it. My little niece had missed her nap that day and was being a pill and my grandson didn't have his Grammy there to get him smiling by doing my fake sneezing, lol, ..........he ALWAYS cracks up laughing when I do that. My daughter, my grandson and I (along with my hubby) live in Tennessee and the rest of the family and kids are in California. So unfortunately there was no opportunity for re-takes. And this was the only group photo taken of all the grandkids that day.

This was actually my first attempt at doing this and was done during my first week of using Gimp after not having used it since 2012...and back then I only knew how to smudge and fix some teeth. On this photo I did it without the aid of any tutorials......all guesswork, trial and error on my part. I hadn't even started learning about layering. I had NO clue about any of that when I did the photo. Since then I have learned so much and my pics, I think, are progressively getting better. My next learning steps to conquer will be taking on learning how to use the Paths tool. Currently, that is more frustrating than what it was like learning to layer, lol.

Thank you for the compliment on the bucket and shovel. One thing I am good at, because I'm a pencil portrait artist, is shading, lol. But working with sand was a new one for me, so thank you :-D... I'm really happy you liked it.

4. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I think you' ll really like the paths tool, it' s super powerful and you do get used to it after a little bit:)

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  5. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Lol.... I know you're probably right......it's just frustrating. i after watching a couple YouTube videos last night that my eraser might not have been working because I need to go to "Select" and choose "None" that would "release " the pic.:D I'm going to try that out later tonight and see if it works. And the old saying "practice makes perfect" is true. I'll keep trying. Talk with ya later.....God bless!:)