1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My eraser won't work..........

Discussion in 'General GIMP help' started by LovethatLucy1, Apr 28, 2015.

1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

When I select Alpha Channel and Fuzzy Select, I've been told to use the eraser as well to clean it up more, but it doesn't work. Anyone know why?
    My shoulders and neck are killing me from still having to use the Free Select tool, UGH!

ANY help or suggestions would be awesome!

2. David Wood

David Wood Moderator Staff Member

Freelance graphic designer and visual effects arti
    Home Page:
    What do you mean when you select alpha channel?

3. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

When working on taking out the background of a photo I first go up to Layer on the taskbar, then go to Transparency and then select from the drop down menu "Add Alpha Channel". This Alpha Channel makes it possible to have only the subject in the pic. Then I use the Fuzzy Select or "Magic Wand" as a lot of gimpers call it. I use the wand on areas around the subject to take out the background. When I click an area it highlights it then I use the shortcut "Ctrl + X" to cut the area out.
    I've seen in some YouTube tutorials (where I learned more about layering) that you can use your Eraser to then clean up around the subject and clean up any background the wand may have missed. But for some reason my Eraser doesn't work and I still have to use my Free Select tool and go around the subject one li'l silly dot/click at a time. Exhausting! Lol

Oh and then I save the file as a PNG on my desktop in a folder named "PNG files for GIMP". Then when I have a selected background that I want to superimpose the subject on to, I open the PNG file and then drag/drop into the background. Sometimes I add a layer before drag/dropping the subject.

Sorry I went into such detail on what I do. I thought by doing so would maybe help you understand if I'm doing something wrong for the Eraser to not work.

4. David Wood

Home Page:
    Can you post a screenshot? Also, check your eraser settings and make sure the opacity is set at 100%.

5. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Sorry I forgot to take a screenshot last night during my most recent endeavor, but I did re-download Lightshot, which is what I've used in the past to take screenshots. I'll take a screenshot on my next photo tonight. Check the photography forum for my newest one. I'm conquering about 1-2 photos a night. Not bad if I say so myself, lol.

Take care and God Bless!

6. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

By the way....how do you "like" someone? It's not as easy as FB apparently, lol. And how can you tell who it was that has "liked" you?

7. David Wood

Home Page:
    The little bell in the top right corner by your name will tell you who liked your post or started following you.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  8. Seloquin

Seloquin New Member

okay so your using the fuzzy select tool to remove the background of an image so you can save/export that image as a png so you can add it to other background images of your choice, and the problem your having is that your not able to remove all the background with the fuzzy tool and so have to do it manually, and there is the problem with the eraser tool.

before you make your selection, play around with Threshold as this effects the boundary of the selection; basically if i remember correctly, it extends the selection like a margin, i think its to do with how similar/close a match, the colour is to the colour of the select.

personally; unless i needed absolute perfection, i would use feathering also,i would do this by duplicating the image layer (something i always do before i make changes), add alpha channel, use threshold and get your selection, add some feathering (which basically blurs the edges), press delete to remove background and apply the feathering, repeating delete applies more feathering at the amount specified in properties.

also, its best practice i believe, not to use ctl+X Cut or ctl+C copy unless you intend to Ctl+P Paste; if your just wanting to remove it from the image and not use it, use the Del key to delete it or use layer masks.

unless you need a sharp cut out image, maybe use blur tool along the edges, helps fade out the remaining background and blends the image into the new background, be careful not to overdo.

could also use, Colour to alpha, if say the background your removing is a solid colour, like magenta, you would have to use it combined with selections so not to effect the part of the image you wish to keep 100% visible.

regarding your issues with the eraser as David said, make sure you have it set to 100% opacity, also ensure you don't have a selection active (right-click > select > none) as you are unable to make changes outside the bounds of a selection.

regards.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  9. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Wow! You really went into detail and that is truly awesome! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm having difficulty seeing my computer screen right now....probably from staring at it too long, lol. I get these things called "floaters" in my eye....they're like wavy lines that are in my line of vision. Sometimes rubbing them helps but not tonight so I'm calling it a night. But guaranteed I will be coming back to this again and again for reference! I really love your input and I think between you and David y'all are going to become my "go-to guru's" :-D

Take good care and God bless!
    ~Carol Sue

10. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Btw....did you see the one the pic I posted the other night in the Photography forum? It's labeled "How To Train Your Dragon's 'Toothless with Beckah and baby Bryan."
    I'd love your feedback :-D