1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 2 Newest.....Russ and baby Bryan

Discussion in 'Photography' started by LovethatLucy1, Apr 29, 2015.

1. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Please let me know what you think......I'm still learning the art of layering and blending. A friend[​IMG] on here suggested I learn more about the Paths tool/option. I'll be covering that soon......for now it's on to bed and some hard earned sleep, lol.

So here is my friend Russ and his newborn son, Bryan. I chose firey type scenes as if to imply a strong sense of protection and fierce pride.

Take good care and God bless!

~Carol Sue~
    Russ holding Bryan with flames background 3.jpg Russ looking down at Bryan.jpg

2. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    First one is my favorite for sure. The second one looks like you accidentally stretched the layer with the guy unproportionally.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  3. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hey again! Thank you so much for checking out these photos of mine and taking the time to give me your honest opinion. It's really apprectiated. I agree with you on the second one. I had just discovered the perspective tool and went a little too "happy" with it, lol. I'm actually planning on re-doing it so it's funny that you should point that out. What is it that you like about the first one? Is there anything you like about the second one? Other than fixing the perspective on it, is there anything you would change?

Thanks again for the feedback! Have you posted anything lately? If so I'd love to check out your work, too.

Take care and God bless!
    ~Carol Sue

4. Roma

Roma Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Hey Lucy,
    I haven' t worked with GIMP for ages, actually. I mainly use the Adobe programs and do traditional art now(shame on me, I know). That' s why I' m not really posting anything here but you can check out my Deviantart if you like.

Look for some different backgrounds if you' re gonna re-do the second one. The ones you have right now are really pixelated. I would blur them just a little bit also to start creating some depth.
    The seond photo looks like you shot it with the camera' s built-in flash which makes it look a little flat.
    First one is better there, the light has more of a direction and atmosphere.

LovethatLucy1 likes this.
  5. LovethatLucy1

LovethatLucy1 Member

Hi again!:D

I actually saw your link for the DeviantArt and I really like your work. I love photography, too, but really can't afford all the specialty stuff that I'd love to get.

You're right about the backgrounds looking pixelated. When I scaled the images I didn't lock in the pixels, nor did I take the time to view the image on full screen and save them at that point....another thing I learned while watching YouTube videos last night.

And yeah I did use my camera's built in flash that day because the room was dim.o_O My friend had just had the baby via C-section and she was pretty wiped out. I should also go back and adjust the warmth and hue on the Dad ....another thing I'm learning to do.

I really want to learn how to create depth and shadows...like when an object is casting a shadow.
    The post I put up of "How To Train Your Dragon's 'Toothless with Beckah and baby Bryan" needs to have shadows cast on the ground because there is light coming from behind them. But there's the issue of their shadows would be overlapping each others and I don't want to make the ground too dark...especially because the shadows would also be on the grass and I don't want to blur it too much.
    Any suggestions?

Look forward to your reply...God bless you 'til then :)

Oh and my name is Carol Sue btw ......Lucy is actually a nickname I got because I love Lucille Ball so ergo the email and username LovethatLucy. ;)