It's not working..

Discussion in 'GIMP for Mac' started by horselover12798, Jun 4, 2008.

1. horselover12798

horselover12798 New Member

Hi, I installed the GIMP for the Mac OS X and so far it hasn't been working. When I click on it, it bounces once, and then does nothing. Please help! :question:
  2. Auria

Auria Member

Hi,

what is your system version (10.4/10.5) and processor architecture (PPC/intel)? Did you follow out installation guides?
  3. horselover12798

It's 10.5 and it's an intel.. and yes I followed the instructions.
  4. Jschwaer

Jschwaer New Member

hello together,

i have the same problem, do you find a soution for that?

Thanks Joe
  5. Auria

Auria Member

Do you have XQuartz 2.2 or Apple's X11?

Does X11 open when you double-click it?

And one thing : try opening GIMP from terminal (in /applications/utilities/terminal)
    with a command like /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/Gimp (use drag-and-drop to make your life easier)

then report back if it prints anything useful
  6. horselover12798

I don't mean to sound stupid, as I'm new to all of this, but what are X11 and XQuarts 2.2?
  7. Auria

Auria Member

Well if you followed the instructions you're supposed to have spent some time installing one of them?

Or do you mean "what are they used for"? In this case they're used as a compatiblity layer between your mac and the linux (X.org) code in GTK (and GIMP uses GTK)

EDIT: Or maybe you mean "how toreckognise if it's running"? If X11 opens, you will see its icon appear in the dock
  8. ink003

ink003 New Member

hi!

i seem to be having the same problem. i run osX 10.4.11 with an intel chip.

i've followed the directions verbatim so far. i started with x11, ended up following the link in your directions to the external site since i couldn't find my boot disk, and finally installed and upgraded x11. x11 runs no problem - it's version 1.1.3.

next, i dl'ed gimp (the version for intel 10.4) and moved the gimp icon into my app folder. when i double-click gimp, nothing happens. i opened up the force quit menu, and it doesn't even show gimp as running.

please help!
  9. alfredo

alfredo New Member

Also remember, the first time you open it, it will take forever to launch.
  10. ink003

ink003 New Member

how long do you mean by "forever" exactly? it's taken quite some time now, and still nothing. and wouldn't the force quit menu show it as running anyway?
  11. Auria

Auria Member

The amount of time will depend on your amount of fonts - the more fonts you have the longer it will take. With the default fonts it won't take more than a few minutes, though if you're a fonts person and have installed lots of them it can take longer

Otherwise, you will need to do as mentionned above in this thread and run GIMP from the terminal to get a better error message
  12. ink003

ink003 New Member

sorry, i should've mentioned before that i tried to run gimp from the terminal as well to no avail; here's the message i get: "No such file or directory." i copied and pasted the command from your earlier post. any thoughts?
  13. Auria

Auria Member

Hmm you're right i wrote the wrong path

Anyway, do the following:

right-click on Gimp, select "show package contents", open Contents, open MacOS, you will find a GIMP executable here. Drag and drop it on the terminal, then press enter in it.
  14. ink003

ink003 New Member

ok, tried your advice auria, and the response is "Bus error." ugh! any other suggestions? btw, thanks a lot for your help so far!
  15. Auria

Auria Member

Ok. Can you paste the full output?

Unfortunately "bus error" is a quite major problem, it may require quite a lot of collaboration from someone with this problem to identify its cause
  16. Auria

Auria Member

17. arawak1

arawak1 New Member

I have almost the same problem. I installed the GIMP 2.4.6 from http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/download.html and the installation semed to go perfectly. Then I had the problem listed elsewhere on the forum except that in my case I got three windows which appear to be ready for action. (GIMP Tip of the Day, GIMP, and Layers, Channels, Path) However when I click on any Menu item the program terminates with the following message "The application X11 quit unexpectedly".

Following one of the fixes listed here I downloaded Gimp.zip and replaced the GIMP file in MacOS with this one, which seemed to fix a very similar problem discussed here ... BUT for me it doesn't work ... same result as before. Since I am using Mac OS X Version 10.5.2 which comes with X11 I didn't try any other down loads.

Can anyone help?

raf
  18. Auria

Auria Member

arawak1: I would suspect an X11 problem. Where did you install it from? (having 10.5.2 is not enough, if your computer originally had 10.5.0 and then was updated to 10.5.2 it won't work) Try installing the latest package from XQuartz --> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/
  19. arawak1

arawak1 New Member

Thanks for the help. Your suggestion worked. Now all I have to do is read the manual.

There is a small problem: On the menus the font is garbled until i fly the mouse over it. (Weird!!) If you have the solution to this, I' d appreciate it.

raf
  20. Auria

Auria Member

arawak1: Hmm that's weird, do you have a screenshot? I've never heard of that