Isolate a Background Using Color - How To Use Gimp

Discussion in 'Gimp Tips & Tutorials' started by tstandiford, Mar 23, 2012.

1. tstandiford

tstandiford Member

Home page:
    Earlier this week I mentioned on Google+ that I discovered something about gimp that was pretty huge, something that would change how I edit photos forever.

Since then, I've been determined to figre out how to boil this small bit of information, and show you just how much this can help your layer masking and isolating backgrounds, especially in the studio scene and landscape photography. I finally decided to simply do what I do best - record a gimp video tutorial using the method that I discovered, and share it with everyone.

Click here for the gimp video tutorial.
  2. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Very nice method, but will it work with every background? Especially with multi-colored ones? I think one would run into problems if he faced a more difficult background.
  3. tstandiford

tstandiford Member

Home page:
    It definitely will not work with everything, but what method truly does? I like to think of it as an additional method to add to your arsenal of options when trying to tackle something like this.

The cool thing is once you actually get the colors isolated, you can adjust levels by the specific channel and it will only change the areas that you want it to change.
  4. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Another quick, effective, and simple way to remove a bg from an image.Thanks for sharing this Alex. :)
    As you said it probably will not work on everything but it works far better than my 89 dollar Growcut software.

Nicely done!
  5. Arzoroc

Arzoroc Moderator Staff Member

Growcut, Refine Edge and GML Matting are a bit .. weird anyway. Sometimes they work perfectly, and other times they just give out crappy results no matter what you do.
  6. Rod

Rod Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. :)